Skip to main Content
Search Hornby
Search Tips
Newsletter Signup

Newsletter Signup

Why don't Horby use transfers for coaches?

• probedb (9 posts) , 86 days ago 13:11 21 January 2014

I was remembering when I was a kid (80's), that the old Inter city Mk3 coaches used to come with a set of transfers for different running numbers.

Surely it would be easier/cheaper for Hornby to do the same for current coaches? So instead of producing 4 different standard class, 2 different 1st class coaches like on the new MML coaches, they simply produce 1 coach with a set of transfers for both the running numbers and the door letters?

It'd also allow everyone more flexibility in numbering the coaches.

• walkingthedog (7350 posts) , 86 days ago 13:41 21 January 2014

Numbers etc. are no longer transfers, they are printed on so it would mean an increase in cost. I do agree with you in some cases though.

WTD

Nurse, the screens.

• fazy (602 posts) , 86 days ago 13:46 21 January 2014

cost is a good point but also we would end up with a forum page saying why do Hornby's numbers keep rubbing off!!!!

chaos mayhem panic and disorder, ah I see my work here is done

• SkyCube (967 posts) , 86 days ago 15:15 21 January 2014

I don't think transfers would look good enough for premium models these days.

For the railroad range however it might be a nice idea!

• walkingthedog (7350 posts) , 86 days ago 15:27 21 January 2014

Transfers really need a coat of varnish to seal them. Having done that do you then varnish the complete side of the coach?

WTD

Nurse, the screens.

• macman44 (14 posts) , 85 days ago 02:20 23 January 2014

Given that all the coaches/wagons of a particular type from Hornby will have the same running number, what is the easiest way to modify the number so that you don't get a train with numbers all the same? There must be a "standard" technique that produces a reasonable result.

• walkingthedog (7350 posts) , 84 days ago 08:12 23 January 2014

The numbers are so small I generally ignore them. If the last figure is a 4 for instance you can rub it gently with a fibreglass pen until it looks like a 1, or make the number illegible with some weathering.

WTD

Nurse, the screens.

• fazy (602 posts) , 84 days ago 10:45 23 January 2014

what a lot of models do is type around the full number to protect the rest of the wagon then with a cotton wool bud go over the numbers with a small amount of T cut and rub. you will need to clean it of have a look repeat the process until it as removed the numbers wash the hole wagon let it dry the apply new transfers. that them dry for 24 hours. you will see that around the transfers it has become very glossy this can be dealt with some matt/ silk varnish over the hole wagon job done. try Parkside railway models,
    also try DC kits they have some transfers under kits and modelling.

• LC&DR (3536 posts) , 84 days ago 14:45 23 January 2014

Companies like Modelmaster and Fox produce transfers to renumber locomotives, carriages and wagons. They all recommend that waterslide transfers are applied to a gloss surface and be allowed to dry before sealing with matt varnish. I try and apply a small amount of gloss varnish at the site I intend to attach a transfer before applying them and then matt them down when it is all dry. If you look hard enough you can tell it has been done but it is virtually undetectable at 'normal viewing distance'.

• fazy (602 posts) , 84 days ago 15:48 23 January 2014

Yes lc&dr good point forgot that bit.

You are not currently logged in, please log in to post a new reply.

Simply enter your query and press enter to search the website.

To search for an exact phrase put double quotes around the words. For example, the search “Tanker Wagon” will only return results that include both of these words together.

To exclude a word from your search add a minus sign immediately before the word to be excluded. For example, the search EWS –Locomotive will return all items with EWS in the title or description but excluding any that include the word Locomotive.

This item has been added to your basket