Airfix 1/24 'Car Door' Hawker Typhoon

Steven-434888

Something wicked, this way comes...

/media/tinymce_upload/901990b199c66679546aba018d51fbef.jpg

A sneak peak for this forum only at this stage please (no 'shares' elsewhere).

I had hoped, after nailing the bubble top test shot together in 2014, to have a crack at the car door, which was so plainly evidenced though the parts breakdown, when finally released.

Happily in the wake of that, the boss (Chris Clifford) decided to entrust Airfix's latest big Tiffie test shot to my tender mercies and the car door project was executed over another somewhat frenetic ten week build schedule.

Finished the Saturday before last, I confess I was very, very happy to have had the chance to navigate this mighty kit a second time. Here's an informal shot on the bench via the iPhone. I'll post 'official' tasters later in the week.

/media/tinymce_upload/5f6562c8050b7b98583c3e418c332229.JPG 

As before, I had the benefit of direct dialogue with Chris Thomas (who Airfix name as one of the key contributors on the car door release) in settling certain details relating to the markings choice.

I felt the North African scheme would contrast well with the European camo on the bubble top (on display in the Airfix Visitor Centre) and I'm doubly happy that Airfix have confirmed DN323 will also go on show with my earlier build - a great privilege.

The build will be included in the late summer special issue of Airfix Model World (132 pages!), due out next Thursday August 4.

Happy days :-)

Steve  

Lovely build Steven, looking forward to the rest of your photos. I see the desert camo isn't included in the kit, but looks quiet simple,were you able to piece it together from the kit decals (or transfers for some of our more mature members!)?

I believe that only one or two Tiffys were sent to the Middle East for Trials, is that correct?

Cheers

Jason

Lovely build Steven, looking forward to the rest of your photos. I see the desert camo isn't included in the kit, but looks quiet simple,were you able to piece it together from the kit decals (or transfers for some of our more mature members!)?

I believe that only one or two Tiffys were sent to the Middle East for Trials, is that correct?

Cheers

Jason

Hi Jason.

Thanks for that. 

Xtradecals provide the markings. Three Tiffies were selected for sand filter trials in North Africa but the three that ultimately went were not the three originally selected!

DN323 was however one of them and as I love the Typhoon in the desert scheme that was what we settled on. The difficulty is that there are no known photographs showing the trials filters tested by 451 Squadron, RAAF. Chris Thomas sent me all his DN323 images and the official shot by Hawker of the port profile shows the 'long' filter fitted under the fuselage, not the shorter version tested abroad. I simply fitted the filter from the bubble top kit and used the Mk.1 Productions etched louves to alter its appearance.

The car door's my favourite version of the Tiffie - winding down one of the windows some 2/3rds is so cool... :-)

Take it easy

Steve

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/sdkfz124wespe/Airfix%201-24%20Car%20Door%20Typhoon/1-24%20Typhoon_zpskpolrvog.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/2ff798ec7204cf510e8bb1723b39f270.jpg

Airfix Model World 'Late Summer Special' - out Thursday August 4 for the full build plus an accompanying article from Chris Thomas - 132 page issue!

Time to get the beers in...

Oh. My. Word. 

That is a fantastic looking build. I recall building the original 1/24th Spitfire Mk1 many years ago, and that was some size. The Typhoon is a little larger than the Spit. Oh, to have the space!

I ought to make the trip to the visitor centre, as I'm only in north Kent.

Hi Heather:

Thanks for that - much appreciated. Yes, the visitor centre is well worth a tour and as you say, you're not so far away.

What are you building at the minute?

TTFN

Steve 

I have a build thread on a 1/72nd Gladiator on the go at the moment. Just rigging and some mild weathering to go. 

I'm partial to the summer 1940 period, so I've been steadily adding to my stash from the various new kits emerging from Airfix. As to what will be next in the bench, it's a tough choice. I think I might break my fixed scale habit and make a start on the 1/48 Defiant!

I have a build thread on a 1/72nd Gladiator on the go at the moment. Just rigging and some mild weathering to go. 

I'm partial to the summer 1940 period, so I've been steadily adding to my stash from the various new kits emerging from Airfix. As to what will be next in the bench, it's a tough choice. I think I might break my fixed scale habit and make a start on the 1/48 Defiant!

Thanks for that Heather. Just heading over to your Gladiator thread now.

The choice thing is certainly an issue these days - but a pleasant one, as all that good stuff in red boxes continues to call to the wallet. 

I'm intrigued as to how you became a professional railway modeller...

TTFN

Steve 

I've always been fascinated by most forms of transport. My partner was a serious model railway hobbyist, and when we met I started building and making things with him! much preferring the construction process to playing with the finished items! My original "day job" was in print and graphics, I was freelance since 2001, but business had died off since the 2008 crash. A friend asked me if I'd build an O gauge coach kit for him, and it's sort of snowballed from there. Three years ago I made the decision to pursue building model railway kits as my main income, and I wish I'd done it ten years ago! My order book is full for rest of this year, and new commissions are building up for next year. And here I am, relaxing by taking a busman's holiday and building plastic kits!

I've always been fascinated by most forms of transport. My partner was a serious model railway hobbyist, and when we met I started building and making things with him! much preferring the construction process to playing with the finished items! My original "day job" was in print and graphics, I was freelance since 2001, but business had died off since the 2008 crash. A friend asked me if I'd build an O gauge coach kit for him, and it's sort of snowballed from there. Three years ago I made the decision to pursue building model railway kits as my main income, and I wish I'd done it ten years ago! My order book is full for rest of this year, and new commissions are building up for next year. And here I am, relaxing by taking a busman's holiday and building plastic kits!

Thanks for that Heather - I'm glad you've made such a success of it and also enjoy tickling the old plastic!

TTFN

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Oh my word a dessert 'Tiffie'!

North Africa was not the most hospitable of campaigns to fight in but can you imagine trying to keep a beast like the Typhoon airworthy with that massive radiator and all that sand flying around!!

Must have been a nightmare!

Great model and fabulous finish well done. 😎

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my word a dessert 'Tiffie'!

North Africa was not the most hospitable of campaigns to fight in but can you imagine trying to keep a beast like the Typhoon airworthy with that massive radiator and all that sand flying around!!

Must have been a nightmare!

Great model and fabulous finish well done. 😎

Hi P.

Thanks for that. 

The desert option was attractive for the build article in AMW for its short lived time in service with 451 Squadron (RAAF), during the North African trials in 1943.

You're absolutely right about the hostile, abrasive environment the trials were conducted in - the engines were fully stripped regularly to check for wear and componant longevity. In essence, the three test airframes were fitted with sand filters under the fuselage (behind the chin's exit ramp). A lever under the pilot's right elbow selected between the belly filter and the chin intake, allowing the engine to breathe at right angles to the prop wash.

TTFN

Steve

Could anybody answer the following query please?

Will this model need or be able to be fitted with the same aftermarket products as the  A19002 Typhoon [1:24] kit?

I was thinking particularly of the white metal undercarriage and stainless steel radiators.

Not sure whether to wait for this model to be released or get the older A19002 version.

Thanks.

Hi MM:

I had the Scale Aircraft Conversions white metal set, along with the choice of John Adams Aeroclub alternative available for the car door test shot. I didn't use either as it happened. It's been reported elsewhere that the plastic is insufficiently robust and white metal is therefore mandatory. This is mistaken.

Issues arise when the undercart spar sections are not sufficiently glued and reinforced in situ along all contact points. The other factor is the surface you stand the model on. If it's smooth and slippy there'll be a greater predilection for the main legs to edge forwards. Put the model on a grippy surface like cake decorators matting and the movement disappears.

The car door I built for AMW has very nearly zero flex, slippy surface or no. The key was to avoid over flooding with poly, to allow a day to set up, then fill every tiny gap or space with water thin CA, built up until flush. Gel type CA joined the main legs and was left to set. The result has been a thoroughly solid undercart, which has maintained its integrity, despite being stored in my loft through our hot spells.

In terms of etch, I used Radu Brinzan's rad set on the car door but Eduard have their own as I'm sure you'll be aware.

As far as choosing 'bubble top' or 'car door' I'd personally vote for the car door - you can show off your efforts in the cockpit more readily and it has that quirky appearance around the 'office' that's very appealing.

Wish you well with whatever kit you decide on - they're both epic.

Best regards

Steve   

Could anybody answer the following query please?

Will this model need or be able to be fitted with the same aftermarket products as the  A19002 Typhoon [1:24] kit?

I was thinking particularly of the white metal undercarriage and stainless steel radiators.

Not sure whether to wait for this model to be released or get the older A19002 version.

Thanks.

Hi MM:

I had the Scale Aircraft Conversions white metal set, along with the choice of John Adams Aeroclub alternative available for the car door test shot. I didn't use either as it happened. It's been reported elsewhere that the plastic is insufficiently robust and white metal is therefore mandatory. This is mistaken.

Issues arise when the undercart spar sections are not sufficiently glued and reinforced in situ along all contact points. The other factor is the surface you stand the model on. If it's smooth and slippy there'll be a greater predilection for the main legs to edge forwards. Put the model on a grippy surface like cake decorators matting and the movement disappears.

The car door I built for AMW has very nearly zero flex, slippy surface or no. The key was to avoid over flooding with poly, to allow a day to set up, then fill every tiny gap or space with water thin CA, built up until flush. Gel type CA joined the main legs and was left to set. The result has been a thoroughly solid undercart, which has maintained its integrity, despite being stored in my loft through our hot spells.

In terms of etch, I used Radu Brinzan's rad set on the car door but Eduard have their own as I'm sure you'll be aware.

As far as choosing 'bubble top' or 'car door' I'd personally vote for the car door - you can show off your efforts in the cockpit more readily and it has that quirky appearance around the 'office' that's very appealing.

Wish you well with whatever kit you decide on - they're both epic.

Best regards

Steve   

@ Steven Budd

Thank you for the detailed response, it is appreciated. I shall take my time building whatever version I get - no rush as the Autumn/Winter seems to last a very long time - and invest in some quality CA glue.

Since returning to plastic modelling, I haven't ventured into PE yet but will start small with a Sutton "QK" Harness and  Radu Brinzan's radiator and maybe one or two products from a list over at somewhere like Hannants.

I am leaning towards the 'Car Door' version - probably bought by me for me as a Christmas gift if my hints to family are ignored - but have the P-51K/RF Mustang to complete first anyway.  😀

Thanks again.

Archived