Airfix 1/72 New Tool Swordfish I

Pretty Mediocre Modeller

This is the basic boxing of the Swordfish, that was built when originally released several years ago.

The kit has excellent detail inside and out, with options including spread or folded wings, with a jig to aid alignment, torpedo or bomb armament and a handling trolley for the torpedo if not fitted, two long range fuel tanks, one for the torpedo crutches and one for the cockpit, and in a separate boxing, float undercarriage. Unusually for Airfix no crew are supplied, and only weighted wheels, so if you wanted yours in flight new, or reshaped wheels would be needed as well as a new crew.

Saying all that the kit isn't the easiest to put together, and a fair amount of care is needed, but if you do take care a good result will emerge.

I finished mine in the Toronto raid markings, with folded wings, I didn't realise that if the wings are folded then the bombs would not be fitted as they would collapse the wing! So I have 6 fully painted up bombs waiting for my next build.  

/media/tinymce_upload/cb0b434fbc2f062f704e9e6ebdca65d5.jpg

The rigging is made from invisible mending thread, superglued into pre-drilled holes and painted black. the kit does not include a painting guide so some research was needed.

/media/tinymce_upload/65575d2db5e6b6a2ad3e56e77c83d980.jpg

The engine is very detailed, and the machine gun id a separate part that slots in from inside. Oh dear, looks like I have a loss wire there!

/media/tinymce_upload/d5e9a53d930e125435173da49e8704ad.jpg

On this underside view you can see the long range tank fitted instead of the torpedo, the empty bomb racks and the light stores carriers fitted with 2 flares, though all 8 are included

/media/tinymce_upload/7bd99afc7df5061ee44f6528be9d82c1.jpg

Finally the spare torpedo on its dolly. This could be used in a diorama with any RN or RAF torpedo plane from WWII as it was widely used.

A good build experience. I was a little disappointed with the look of the model with the wings folded (not Airfix's fault), but have another from the Operation Torch boxing and will make that with spread wings ( and use my previously completed bombs).

Archived