1:72nd Scale De Havilland Mosquito Mk FB.VI

T2B

Out of my stash came the venerable Series 3 De Havilland Mosquito. The kit provides options for 3 versions and I had previously decided that I would complete the Mk FB.VI option.  

/media/tinymce_upload/950f86546117f85298f11ce68974ab41.JPG

I started this as a simple quick build towards the end of my Whitley build as I felt my 'mojo' slipping. However it was not that simple  ☹️.

I always remember the Mosquito as a good kit and have loved its beautiful lines, however released by Hornby in a new red box a couple of years ago, the sprues are poor with lots of flash. The mould is clearly worn, nearing the end of its useful life, however with the Mosquito again appearing in the Pre-Order list its clear that sadly a new tool of this kit is not planned in the near future.   

Having studied the sprues and plastic parts it was clear to me that a small amount of extra detailing was required, and after some deliberation I settled on an aftermarket resin wheel set.

/media/tinymce_upload/940744fc5cac322c3e4091f9a04a1792.JPG

I could do other small modifications myself without buying extra sets.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi TB2.

Built this kit last year sometime at the end of March, and thouroughly enjoyed it although mine was an Airfix release before the Hornby take-over. The posting is still there but sans photos, built mine as the Mk XVIII Tesse Tesse, you might find the build os interest. I did re-post a couple of photos of the build in the techniques forum as part of my reply to Nose Cone Painting, again you might find them of interest. Although the Mossie is an old kit, with a little TLC it makes up into quite a decent model and side-by-side with the Tamiya model it's stacks up pretty well. 

Looking forward to hearing how you get on and seeing the finished result, and I agree that the wheels are poor the old Frog kit's wheels were far better, but at least they'ere better than he awfull wheels from the original release in the 50's. Hopefully Airfix has a new tooling in the pipe-line but not saying anything just yet.

Remember we do this for fun                                    John the Pom

@P4T

Yes P4T the under-carriage struts and braces are pretty good for a mid 1970's moulding other than the actual wheels are a bit basic so they have been replaced with an after-market kit. I looked at other resin kits such as a bombbay /cannon pack set but didnt think the cost/benefit was worth it on such an old kit. Haven't bought many aircraft kits other than Airfix so a bomber version has been sadly lacking from my collection  🤔

@JS

The Mosquito in the NightFighter box art is back on the 'pre-order' list this month so if Airfix still think the mould has life left in it and units are still being sold then its unlikely tthat they will invest in a new tooling any time soon  ☹️ 

Anyway now for some photo's to update my build post and the main fuselage/wing sections have been assembled.

/media/tinymce_upload/a34818f4896739068b42cb49dc8d54f0.JPG

I did a little bit of detail in the cockpit before the fuselage was assembled which included a plastic card radio/instrument shelf and wall behind the Navigator, and seatbelts were added using cut strips of masking tape.

/media/tinymce_upload/22d50ee967aec14f75c92b75e1a0a92d.JPG

Prior to cementing in place the cannon shroud had the barrel ports opened up with a micro twist drill. No perfect but a vast improvement over the solid closed kit part.

/media/tinymce_upload/52b1340c798890ae66d9fa7e277cbf68.JPG

The engine nacelles were completed with the propellers, minus the spinners which are being painted and will be added later. I also decided to add the under-carriage struts later despite the instructions wanting them in place when the 2 nacelle halfs are cemented together, otherwise I'll either break them or i'll get paint where i don't want it.

/media/tinymce_upload/115d51329fcf67cd3d69bbd9e9d334be.JPG 

And once the engines had been cemented to the wing sections the model was masked and prepared for the spray shop, with the undercoat and allover light grey going on 1st.

/media/tinymce_upload/61d2688d1614f11e19f5eb89933d2ac7.JPG 

Thats all for now ........

It is possible to add the undercariage after building the nacelles, but you need to carefully compress the struts a bit to get them to pop into their bushes and the X shaped brace needs to be very firmly cemented so that it doesn't spring apart. It makes painting everything very much easier.

I try and leave everything off until last if its fragile and liable to be broken or if it makes the painting process easier.

I have cut the raised cups so they are like an upside down C so with a dab of cement and the weight of the model on the wheels should secure the front struts sufficently, the cups for the rear strut supports are recessed so the pins should hopefully drop in without too much of a problem. 

Some paint is being added now so i hope to update with photo's in the next day or 2! 

Hi T2B

I see you've already sussed out the machine gun thing. I had simular problems when I made mine, Just be carefull with the intake guards they can very easily get lost. When I made mine I also added the undercarriage afterwards using the same dodge as you by cutting the bosses into a "C" shape but still had to use pressure to keep the legs clossed while setting..

Just been re-reading my posting and saw that the navigator's seat can interfere with the starboard wing fitting, on mine I had to trim the wing lug back a fair bit to get it to sit properly in the fuselage recess. 

Looking forwards to seeing how you get on. Maybe I'll re-post the finished pictures after you've posted yours then a comparission can be seen.

Remember we do this for fun                             John the Pom.

@ JS

I read your post last week after you mentioned it in a post here and I used your tip to cut the raised bushes into a C as I hadn't considered that issue. The nacelles were closed by then but a sharp modelling knife still managed the job.

And yeah the nose cone is only secured with white tack for painting so the MG barrels can be added once everything is done or I'd be sure to snap everyone off lol.

I had no problem with the starboard wing  slot tab but I'm not adding the crew so the Nav's seat is empty. And yes it would be interesting to see your finished photos as a comparison when mine is done .........!

I should have taken photos at the undercoat and light overall grey stage but I rushed ahead and forgot. 

But here is the results of my messy masking, think I still need to improve on this.?

/media/tinymce_upload/6f9f4c3cd31ec06986122b41356ea4d2.JPG

And after the green patterned camo had been added.

/media/tinymce_upload/55cf66c00e987c82138bd9380f399384.JPG 

But here is the result after what i think was a successful visit to the paint shop, with only a few minor spots to touch up.

/media/tinymce_upload/5cf28ed88e84a34807c85c64ec8aa994.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/f105963bf0e0bac04581c6ba22a5208b.JPG

Well that's enough progress for now. The next stage will have to wait until Mr Postman delivers to me a small present .........hopefully tomorrow  😀

Despite a good paint job, to me a model still looks naked without a decent set of Decal clothes!

But my Mosquito wont be starkers for long as Mr Postman delivered a couple of letters today  😀 

/media/tinymce_upload/329b5b2b837d86241549390064ddcead.JPG

I had always planned on completing this model in the decals of the original Series 2 Mosquito EG - T and was going to use my sheets of aftermarket serials & codes to reproduce the correct codes etc. But when I saw this complete decal set on Evil Bay for only a few pennies + postage, it had to be purchased.

It has been discussed on this forum that some people don't like lots of stencils, but I do as I think they help to make the model look more authentic. And being an old tool kit any extra help is most welcome so when I found this Expanded Stencil Set for the Mosquito on the internet, again I couldn't resist adding it to the build.

Ok I can now accept that lots of stencils can be a real pain in the backside, especially this set I acquired as they are very thin and fragile. I have spent most of the day on them and I'm sure the effort will be worth it when the model is finished. 

But as part of the stencil set you are provided decals for a radio set so I couldn't resist making an extra box and mounting it on the panel behind the navigator's seat  😀 

/media/tinymce_upload/ad94172727cbd30939f79dfafa5f6789.JPG

One thing I've noticed is what the camera doesn't see in a period photo is a lot different to what you perceive when viewing an airframe in the flesh. For instance you have to look hard to find W/T stencils in period photos, but when you're standing near a Spitfire or Hurricane warbird they're much more obvious.

/media/tinymce_upload/7ac7ccce8b77045cae8accdc7dbf1313.JPG

If you look at wartime pictures of Luftwaffe splinter camouflage you can't see it. This led to experts thinking that some aircraft were painted overall dark green. This theory has been disproved - the quality of 1940s film was not good enough to distinguish between RLM70 & RLM71, so I go with Paul's evaluation.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

Sorry for the lack of updates lately but other builds, life and work have got in the way of me finishing the Mosquito. But all the stencils are now done so it's mainly just the under-carriage and ordanance package left to do! I hope to get some pictures uploaded in the next couple of days .............

Hi T2B

I was just thikng testerday what had happened to your Mossie build. Glad to know it hadn't crashed and burned. I see there's another member looking to build this model, hopefully now your's has come back to the top he'll get some pointers. Looking forward to the photos.

Remember we do this for fun.                                   John the Pom

Thanks for your continued interest John.

Part of the delay was cos the decals EG-T I bought weren't any good, the white on the roundel showed the dark green beneath and the code letters once on turned out to be a watery grey, not the sky green I wanted!  And when I dug out my aftermarket sheets of code letters and roundels, I found I'd already used the E of the size I needed so I had to order another set to finish the decals.

Haven't noticed a post about another member doing the Mossie, have I missed something?

As promised here are some picture updates:-

/media/tinymce_upload/9a6c7b3009dc77db4fbeb99c4da29fbb.JPG

All the decals/stencils are now finished and the canopy was cemented in place, having previously only been held in place by tape on the inside for spraying as I still had the radio to finish inside the cockpit. I should of taken a photo once the Klear was added to seal the decals, but forgot and went straight onto a dirty wash over all surfaces.

/media/tinymce_upload/e9496662e792c1f6d28d1a86c1c38849.JPG

Its strange how for over 40 years I have been trying to complete my models in an unmarked pristine condition. Now I think the 'weathered, worn' look is far better. How methods and modelling has moved on .......?

/media/tinymce_upload/78592ef38c6b82b1d359e1bf2035e793.JPG 

Once a coat of Matt Varnish was added the canopy masks were removed. Although you can't see to clearly from the photo, despite its age the canopy mould isn't too thick so some of the added cockpit detail is still apparent. 

/media/tinymce_upload/e733a6647291002582d44bac3b4c7c20.JPG

I then moved onto the troublesome under-carriage legs. I hadn't followed the instructions (to fit the legs as the nacelles were closed) and tried now after all the painting was complete. Aware that the X supports are fragile from other forum posts when trying to spring the whole assemble into the nacelle recess, I decided to fit the legs separately. This proved easier said than done!

After probably a hour of swearing, cursing etc I managed to get the main legs in place on the inside nacelle lugs and these were left to dry for a couple of hours.

/media/tinymce_upload/1fc264895d8a5088c19ed2e01e17bf92.JPG 

The X cross-members were then added and the wheel axles cemented together. This required more patience and some quick drying cement as the axle hubs had to be held in place or they would just spring outward because of the angle of the main legs cememted in the nacellles.

Don't get me wrong, the under-carriage parts/structure were very advance and detailed for a new tool back in 1972 but the technology available then does not equate to a good easy fit. I have done several Mossie's over the years but they have always been clean with the under-carriage raised. If I ever do a dirty 1 again I think I will think of another method.

/media/tinymce_upload/4fb4d0a9ab4a9d04d29393ba43d3d7dc.JPG 

The guards were then added, having drilled a couple of holes in the very thick ribs on the back, and the struts etc were touched up where needed. The resin tail wheel was added to compliment the resin main wheels which are a vast improvement over the bland kit items.

Having got a couple of other builds out of the way I was able to move the Mosquito build forward. My earlier post had the under-carriage almost completed, apart from the doors. It was now time to move onto the armament package. As I mentioned at the start of the post the Mossie was being completed as an FB Mk.VI and wearing the code EG - T from the original 1957 tool of this kit. 

So replicating this kit I copied the armament being 4 x .303 MGs & 4 x 20mm Cannon plus 8 x 60lb wing mounted/railed unguided rocket projectiles.

/media/tinymce_upload/ecc9a27fc81017f65c4937d7073d2866.JPG

This kit is the newer Mossie tool, but dating 1972 so it is very old. I bought this a couple of years ago following the re-issue of the kit in 2013 by Hornby in a shiney red box. As can be seen the mould is worn with excess flash and seam lines. The rocket rails are probably the worst of the kit!

/media/tinymce_upload/3f287ef7129c001199e9f0c09d1a012d.JPG 

After several minutes of cleaning up the rails are just about ready to be sprayed. Only another 4 to be done .............. !  

Coming on very nicely, I must admit those wheels look great, as you say the kit ones are very bland, but still a vast improvement over the very thin ones of the original 195??? something release. I still reckon the old Frog one had the best wheels, with I believe a diamond tread ( I stand corrected on that.) and the hubs were the three spoked ones that quite a few mossies wore.

Looking forward to seeing the final result.

Remember we do this for fun                     John the Pom

Yes the wheels are a vast improvement over the kit items and help to breath new life into a dated old tool. And decent progress has been made over weekend and I hope to get the build finished this week so I can move onto the next 1 ☺!

The finishing touches ...................

/media/tinymce_upload/a0fde5f74789d46654241bc8a3782db6.JPG

The nose cone was removed for the fitment of the MG barrels. It was only secured by white tack for the purpose of spraying to prevent snapping the barrels during the build. However the white tack took some cleaning off as it had been on there far longer than I had intended so it seems it wanted to take up permanent residence.

/media/tinymce_upload/825b6c9454557605bf42511c6efbbc41.JPG

The main body of the rocket rails were sprayed the light grey underside colour and the rocket tails were sprayed a darker grey. The rocket heads were hand painted in Humbrol Olive Drab.

/media/tinymce_upload/4c28b738834e36b5edaa51efec7f4182.JPG

The rocket shafts were finished in dark grey, and the rocket warhead red band were both hand painted. Both spinners were sprayed earlier in the build and after a couple of attempts at masking the white band, I managed to get a reasonable result with only required minor touching up with hand brushing.

So thats it for now, the final parts should be fitted tomorrow to complete this build!

Archived