1:72nd Scale North American P-51D Mustang 'Blue Nose'

T2B

I started this kit before Christmas ........../media/tinymce_upload/14cfaab184bf7a4d15fa416a23421ca2.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/325a05d7c839368bceb52431771c5f05.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/a603bf6409935b3c719f4e3e02feb6ad.JPG

Its a new tool kit that was released in 2012 as a Red Tail Mustang serial A01004, and has also been a starter kit with an RAF Mustang IV. This kit, serial A01004A was re-issued during 2018 with the 'Blue Nose' Decals.

/media/tinymce_upload/9536b06281327856b802950d6568d242.JPG

On with the build but I won't bore you with too much blurb as the kit has probably already been posted and its fairly straight forward with excellent panel fit. As usual I start with the cockpit area and pilot.

/media/tinymce_upload/e0ebd7c426b77be34d7384c82e7690e4.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/e85dee0dc4d036f0961a0009f7161782.jpg

For many years when building a single engined aircraft I have painted the nose sections of the fuselage and propeller before the fuselage halves are closed to prevent painting moveable parts and difficult arears later. I have continued with method even though I have now moved onto airbrushing.

/media/tinymce_upload/b1fe4256e870ce7a08319497e7fca495.JPG   /media/tinymce_upload/bdc7df7597176c66f2a8848bec29c599.JPG

But the build progressed quickly and was almost ready for some paint.

/media/tinymce_upload/400c6b14113513d50c45cb046e7d62da.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/33e0b78d76ba664aadbc40a3a8b12376.JPG

I missed a couple of stages during the painting and the Mustang was ready for some decaling. The build then got put to 1 side while I finished an Opel Blitz Ambulance build, and my first 1:48th Scale build, the Airfix Curtiss Tomahawk Mk.II.

/media/tinymce_upload/70bd5bae50e0635a317bb5250b504ec6.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/9e987d52f5a217cb815f4e994374cce2.JPG

The Mustang is now finished apart from navigation lights and awaiting a new permanent display spot?

/media/tinymce_upload/e40fac38b4201a9f2a10503064e83f4d.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/e7bf0b46d63611daf536e2c215218783.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/e1ec890552030544c743e200ae0938d9.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/851e432cb9da6968b3a769d3c8a58c07.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/ec1fa7ffa843723ed88a2d215c8aa5ca.JPG

Thats it for now ......... !

Thanks P4T 

If the prop shaft has a pre-moulded collar I'll often fashion a bulkhead to hold it in place within the fuselage so the prop can be fitted at the end of the build as I did on my recent Bf109 Gustav, but the Mustang has a separate collar which requires cementing to the prop shaft prior to the fuselage being closed, hence my painting first method. Doesn't work for everyone but works for me!

• 3 weeks later...

While waiting for the mising parts for my antique Catalina to arrive I decided to build this kit up to pass the time.

What a great kit! Fit, finish and detail was fantastic for such an inexpensive model. I thought this was going to be my best effort yet but a few detail issues toward the end of the build stymied that - all my fault, not the kit.

The black portside ID decal on the tailplane decided to roll up into a ball and try as I might it was unrecoverable. I also broke some of the delicate parts.  In a way it was very like my golf - enough good hits among the bad to make me think I'll have that really good round one day.

Maybe I should buy another one and have another crack.

/media/tinymce_upload/01764cc1d9957c6a2bff003aeb0cf8f5.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/d481c0e9563e5caa8b18995b6153f8b8.jpg

It's a good build Aussie Jeff and as far as I can see the only problem is the missing tail decal who mentioned.

And think I'll do another Mustang with the canopy open and flaps deployed like yours cos it does look good! And was thinking a couple of weeks ago I need to get a couple of mirrors to display my builds on to improve my finished photos. So your has made my mind up!!

Thanks T2B, it really is a good kit - having all those options at the price is remarkable.  I'm inspired by the efforts of many forum members, it is nice to know I've done something to make you want to build another.  I might be able to at least make up the underlined 'E' with some old decal border left over from the Catalina i'm just finishing up.

I have one of these waiting at the neighbours house to pick up when I get home 😀 Very excited as I built the red tails scheme previously and it was a dream. Unfortunately I’m going to have two P51-D’s on the shelf with the same decal scheme but different paint schemes. I think Airfix made a boo-boo and sent the blue nose decals in the red tails box.

@ Kidge

Yes they did, seems to be a whole batch problem with the Aldi Starter Kit release as it happened to a modelling friend and I, both bought from different Aldi stores. But if you contact Airfix you may get the correct decals sent out, we did and had the correct decals in less than 48 hours!

@ Kidge

Yes they did, seems to be a whole batch problem with the Aldi Starter Kit release as it happened to a modelling friend and I, both bought from different Aldi stores. But if you contact Airfix you may get the correct decals sent out, we did and had the correct decals in less than 48 hours!

Yes i bought mine at an Aldi store over christmas aswell. Unless there is any way to remove a full decal scheme neatly im tempted just to leave it. It doesn't look perfefct (mostly that the yellow stripes on the wings are painted on) but for me it looks good enough to be proud of it 😀

Oh I see now, you used the PE - E decals in the kit on the Red Tail colour scheme, different lol. Well it's your kit so if your proud of it, that's what counts. Not easy removing a decal set or paint scheme so maybe your stuck with your unusual P-51D Mustang!

Yes it's a very good build. There are probably a couple of build posts of the kit on this forum, read them and get a feel for the kit and if there are any pitfalls though I don't recall any!

I also purchased the red nose (A68208) version from Aldi and it had the wrong decals.  Airfix were great and got me the correct ones within 2 days.

It made me wonder how much buying power they must have because I purchased the blue nose version (A01004A) last year from a 'proper' model shop for £6.59.  The Aldi 'special' was £4/£5 and came with glue, brush and paints.

Anyway...the finished model above looks great.

The reason I keep buying little Mustangs is to eventually have a go at a BMF.  I was wondering:

• Which paints did you use?
  • How you masked for the nose without the BMF coming off?
  • Did you use decal solution for the decals?
I ask because on my 'spoons' the metalisers are variable, come off with masking tape and react to MicroSol.Any advice would be appreciated.David

I also purchased the red nose (A68208) version from Aldi and it had the wrong decals.  Airfix were great and got me the correct ones within 2 days.

It made me wonder how much buying power they must have because I purchased the blue nose version (A01004A) last year from a 'proper' model shop for £6.59.  The Aldi 'special' was £4/£5 and came with glue, brush and paints.

Anyway...the finished model above looks great.

The reason I keep buying little Mustangs is to eventually have a go at a BMF.  I was wondering:

• Which paints did you use?
  • How you masked for the nose without the BMF coming off?
  • Did you use decal solution for the decals?
I ask because on my 'spoons' the metalisers are variable, come off with masking tape and react to MicroSol. Any advice would be appreciated. David

I've found Humbrol polished aluminium metalcote in a spray can gives a really nice metallic silver finish and will never pull off with masking tape (Tamiya masking tape is low tack but sticking it on your arm reduces the rack further) metalcote is fine with  microsol but acrylic varnish will attack and dull it. I use Johnson's floor polish on metalcote instead.

generally if masking is pulling off paint you need a better primer or you need longer drying time. Vallejo model air is touch dry in minutes but can take 24hours to harden fully.

• 1 year later...

I realise this thread was ages ago but I finally got around to attemping a BMF on the Mustangs and used a sunny day to take some pictures.  First of all, what a great kit.

Gloss blacked both kits to begin with./media/tinymce_upload/66be8d978e786b75c5ffa36b9f800e64.JPG

Then I used two well known metalisers.

/media/tinymce_upload/bae03507a2b4bbe8634c2e3e4227847e.JPG

Decided to attempt hairspray and sea salt on one and go for a really battered look, while keeping the other one as 'factory fresh'.

/media/tinymce_upload/2f13beb853e8a30c6a9fe0c0a71059d5.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/19bc02ef1adf5c56efcfed19ef599930.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/bdd2f992b34cc4d4636d02eb4d25d444.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/9b1d6865611d4a30d225bbc350ee55ab.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/29f942519a6d0e15acc19f7f5e2e420f.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/30eb86db77c3b77fadd5aabecf540676.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/a054b0d11c295b329207f1f4af52c95c.JPG

Having never before used hairspray (on models nor myself) or sea salt, I found it really difficult to manage, hence the very chipped paint!

Both finishes look very effective, but go on then, explain the hairspray and seadalt method? 

They are separate methods that I tried after reading (I believe) Airfix Model World.

The sea salt method initially involves one colour of aluminium sprayed everywhere.  Then it is sealed.  The model is dampened and cracked sea salt is dropped all over it and allowed to dry.  It is then resprayed (over the salty model) with a different shade of aluminium.  I did dark aluminium.  It is allowed to dry and then the salt is rinsed away.  The model is sealed again.  AMW then suggested that the process is repeated with a lighter shade.

The method is as messy and nerve wracking as it sounds, so I stopped after the second coat of aluminium.

The hair spray method involves letting the coats of aluminium and varnish dry thoroughly and then spraying the hairspray over the model before the other colours are applied.  So I masked the soon to be red, green and yellow areas off.  Applied hairspray to an area eg tail.  Waited for it to dry and then sprayed the tail red.  After about half an hour I rubbed it with a damp stiff brush.  This removes some of the red paint, revealing the sealed aluminium underneath.  This process was repeated for the yellow and green areas.

I have not yet repeated the sea salt method but I have tried the hair spray again.  Geoff Coughlin advised on YouTube to decant the hairspray through a straw into the air brush cup.  This worked much better and gave much more control.  I used it on a dessert camo Hurricane to show chipping and the effect was much more subtle.  More green came off the Mustang than I expected and if you look at the yellow in the photo it does not look too happy.  I suspect that I applied too much from the can.

Hope that makes sense.

David

Yes it seems to make sense. So the hairspray and sea salt can be rinsed away with water?

And yes I might try it 1 day when I have the nerve lol

I knocked the majority of the salt (and aluminium coated salt) off with a brush and then cleaned up with a damp cloth.

Don't go near the hairspary with more water than you need to, or you may rinse your top paint away completely.  This clip from

explains it better than I.