S1/76 Crusader

Ratch

2616 posts

Community Moderator

My plan was to represent a Crusader II of the 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry, 6th Armoured Division 1941-2. In the period 1941-2 they became part of the 6th Armoured Division. The Regiment remained in the United Kingdom and from 1941 - 1942 were part of the Coats Mission, the plan to evacuate the Royal Family in the event of a German invasion.

This kit was originally tooled in 1971. The kit is reputedly of dubious scale, but the olive-green injection mouldings are adequately detailed. The tracks are wholly inadequate being badly distorted. The small decal sheet is old and yellowed, but appears to be in register. The instruction sheet illustrates assembly in seven stages, with options to build Mk II or Mk III versions with decal options provided for a Crusader III of 1st Army 17/21st Lancers, 6th Armoured Division in temperate scheme or a Crusader II of 8th Army 10th Hussars, 1st Armoured Division in desert scheme. My original plan to do this as a 1st Northants tank is foundering on a lack of images and I have pictures of the 2nd Northants at Linney Head in 1942 and these look like Crusader IIs to me, so I shall try to replicate the muddy conditions at Linney Head in a small vignette.

Stage 1 sees the construction of the Mk.II turret. All went fine until I tried to cut the spade from the runner; it snapped into two pieces, one of which was consumed by the Carpet Monster.

I thought I might have a spare from a previous build but inspection of my bits and bobs failed to reveal one. However, I found something that looks like a starting handle, so fixed that in its place (having filled the locating holes with putty). I also found a British tank crew member I had built previously. I cut off his arms and repositioned them. He will stand behind the turret in a similar manner to those in the photos.

I also found a spare set of tracks. I have no idea where they are from and they’re probably totally inaccurate, but they may be better than the kit supplied ones.

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/index.php

Patrick Camilleri

509 posts

Community Moderator

Golly Ratch ..... are the kit tracks th black ones?  Mine were nowhere near as bad and my models, (I've built both the Mark II and the Mark III versions), came out of the same style boxes.

True I built them about 10 years ago ..... so they may have been in better condition at the time.

As you know I only build tank kits out of the box to get over AMS..... so I don't get into any additional detailing or delving into the history.  Hence it's interesting to read your descriptions and history of the tooling itself.  

I always thought the kit built up into a pretty little model.  

I'll try to find some pics of my builds ....I'm sure I have some somewhere!

Ratch

2616 posts

Community Moderator

Yes Patrick, the black ones came with the kit. I built this one about ten years ago and I don't think the tracks were as bad.

Crusader of 1st Army 17/21st Lancers, 6th Armoured Division, North Africa, 1942.

Crusader II, 2nd Regiment, A Squadron

Crusader III, Senior Regiment, C Squadron

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/index.php

Paws4thot

1214 posts

Well, I suspect that the kit tracks are suffering from old age based on your box!

Beyond that, I'd say that the scale may be dubious, but the kit does look like a Crusader II or III (depending on main turret; the BESA sub-turret is optional on the II despite what the destructions say).

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

Patrick Camilleri

509 posts

Community Moderator

My kit's tracks were actually pretty good.  This is one of the pair I built.

Ratch

2616 posts

Community Moderator

Nice one Patrick.

Today the carpet monster gave up the missing part of the spade. I fixed both halves and added the spade to my spares. I also assembled the Mk.III turret because it is possible that the 2nd Northants fired these at Anney Head in December 1942.

Next up was stage 3 and the assembly of the hull. I quite like the way the hull is broken down making assembly simple yet sturdy.

I must remember that the tyres were solid black rubber

Ratch

2616 posts

Community Moderator

Construction is complete (except for the skirts

I decided to spray it disruptive 2 colour green

This is the first time I have shot VMC through the airbrush and when suitably thinned it went OK

I have some replacement tracks on the way so this is on hold til they arrive

Patrick Camilleri

509 posts

Community Moderator

Where will you find replacement tracks?

Ratch

2616 posts

Community Moderator

Sgt Squarehead is sending me some

Patrick Camilleri

509 posts

Community Moderator

Ah.. that's great.  Nice to see everyone helping each other out on this site.

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product