SA02318V welcome return of the M3 Half Track

Tweezers

120 posts

I'm looking forward to making this in M3A1 varient with the armoured windsreen up and browning 7.65 perched on the side instead of the rig and dispensing with the canvas cover.

If anyone knows any articles about how to make the most of this kit, I'd be glad to know.

Paws4thot

1214 posts

No articles, but a note that you can fit the pulpit 50 cal and the 2 30 cals to the same model, or delete any one or 2 of those, or scratch-build a skate rail to replace the fixed 30 cal mounts and then fit anything up to 10 x 30 cals on the skate rail!

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

Ratch

2616 posts

Community Moderator

I didn't think the tilt was included in the kit these days

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/index.php

Tweezers

120 posts

@Ratch

I didn't think the tilt was included in the kit these days

If that's the case, then I hope the aftermarket manufacturers produce internal/external fixtures and fittings.

If anyone would like to see how it looked with a tilt, then I can scan one of the old catalogues pictures.

A guide to improving this half track, I'm sure I would find helpful if I knew where to look.

Ratch

2616 posts

Community Moderator

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/index.php

Tweezers

120 posts

@Ratch

Something like this

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/1-76-m3a1-and-m5a1-us-armored-halftracks-t50676.html

That's the ticket!  Thank you Ratch

Tweezers

120 posts

@Paws4thot

"No articles, but a note that you can fit the pulpit 50 cal and the 2 30 cals to the same model, or delete any one or 2 of those, or scratch-build a skate rail to replace the fixed 30 cal mounts and then fit anything up to 10 x 30 cals on the skate rail!"

Do you mean like this?

Also as well as internal modification, it appears to have folding panniers at the rear.

Note to moderator:  Original image was removed by whoever posted it and this is from the search engine.

Paws4thot

1214 posts

@Tweezers - From the colour, ^ tac marking and external kit racks, I think that is an Israelii army vehicle. The comments about the skate rail and about the pulpit being optional still apply to WW2 US army equipment.

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

Tweezers

120 posts

@Paws4thot

@Tweezers - From the colour, ^ tac marking and external kit racks, I think that is an Israelii army vehicle. The comments about the skate rail and about the pulpit being optional still apply to WW2 US army equipment.

Or an  American collector has converted it into an IDF one

Are those 7.65 Brownings?  If it had just the one, would it still have the skate rail?

Here is a scan from my dog-eared Airfix catalougue from the early '70s.

Paws4thot

1214 posts

The question of skate rail vs pulpit and/or pintles is about age, factory, and what, if any, field modifications were done. The 10x0.30" on a skate rail was a one-off field modification.

Factory fits would normally be a skate rail with 2x0.30" mounts, 2x0.30" pintle mounts, or 2x0.30" pintle mounts + the pulpit 50 cal although that then means you can't fit the full tilt.

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product