Achtung! A Slightly Smaller Build - A RAF Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3

Toboldlygo

The Collector's Club Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3/E-7 in 1/48th Scale, it's been sitting in my stash for a while and made a couple of cameo's in previous builds and having been put back in the stash on several occasions - most notably after the Sea Fury and the kit (now completed) that the box was sitting under.

/media/tinymce_upload/0c183af5c0cac4af1f45fb0a98e6de71.jpg

I decide when I got the kit that I'd do the RAF version (E-3) as captured aircraft in Allied or Axis powers is always an interesting topic of conversation. I decided to acquire the Eduard Zoom Photo Etched kit to enhance the cockpit.

Anyhow on to the build. The cockpit went together easily enough, with the level of detail in the moldings themselves, I chose to only use the photo-etches for the main instument panel.

/media/tinymce_upload/1f0318a7fd5b68a98e4bdc4b0628d5c7.jpg

The fuselage fitted together nicely, once the peg holes where opened up slightly, a nice touch adding the engine.

/media/tinymce_upload/96c0eb8bde630eca1d2bd662e8d123c4.jpg

Wings went together easily and the engine cowling didn't need any fettling (I'll fit the guns after painting)

/media/tinymce_upload/776ecd8a5663fc9ebb54f2f45cd1d540.jpg

Wings and underside of the nose fitted nicely, just some minor filling needed here.

/media/tinymce_upload/dbb2e257519c895ad0de3a2335703741.jpg

Tail planes and the flaps fitted, some filling will is needed to the leading edge flaps.

/media/tinymce_upload/180b10d1d7f4bfdfcb39902125a43af8.jpg

Ailerons needed slight trimming to fit.

/media/tinymce_upload/1be5cfd5c62b6994adcbf3e19d2ed0b2.jpg

With the rudder, elevators and cannon ports fitted, all the filling was done and the plane was washed prior to paint.

/media/tinymce_upload/c98b57930603247b8578541a6f460f79.jpg

After 4 coats of yellow the underside is painted, the paint needs at least 48 hours before I can mask up for the top coat, I may well paint the wheel wells etc, before masking.

/media/tinymce_upload/8eab1bd9df495055f4c07b0a31a39e62.jpg

Until next time..

Glad to see your back after your sabbatical.

I remember you saying you were going to do this kit before the Sea Fury jumped the queue onto your work bench but thought it was the Japanese version you were going to do. 

But never mind, not my scale but an interesting topic so will follow your build as usual!

Glad to see your back after your sabbatical.

I remember you saying you were going to do this kit before the Sea Fury jumped the queue onto your work bench but thought it was the Japanese version you were going to do. 

But never mind, not my scale but an interesting topic so will follow your build as usual!

No she was always going to the RAF BF 109E-3, you've got me confused with the other gent who did the Japanese version

As for taking a sabbatical (only because Admin needs to sort things out)

I'll have you know I've built several 'planes' in the meantime 😎

Wellington (Castle Class)..

/media/tinymce_upload/e8d5ebbd33c6d8054bedb78146f25ed0.jpg

Spitfire (Castle Class)

/media/tinymce_upload/a3d1e6d611b416e46e80b0c1e8c57318.jpg

And Fairey Battle (Castle Class)

/media/tinymce_upload/9218584809841e69eb5c14af603eea4f.jpg

And the plane that must not be named  😛

• 2 weeks later...

Loco commissions are currently keeping me from the 109, however I want to give you the chance to help me choose the next 1/24th Scale Build* - there now are 4 Airfix contenders:

1. De Havilland Mosquito
  2. Focke Wolf FW190
  3. Hawker Hurricane
  4. Junkers JU-87 Stuka

*It may or may not be my next build after I finish the 109...

Well seeing as we have a choice I would plum for the Junkers Ju87 as I have heard good reports on that kit. Also space and financial limitations pushed me to sell my kit recently so if you did yours I would see what I was missing lol! Second choice would be the Fw190 ........

I await your decision ☺

Well seeing as we have a choice I would plum for the Junkers Ju87 as I have heard good reports on that kit. Also space and financial limitations pushed me to sell my kit recently so if you did yours I would see what I was missing lol! Second choice would be the Fw190 ........

I await your decision ☺

I've heard many good things about the Stuka, plus I can get some aftermarket enhancements for it  😉

Then again I've seen both kit's (Ju87 and Fw190) built up in the flesh, along with the Mosquito...

..and the Hurricane Mk.1 is a far superior kit to the Spitfire VB - the Hurry was built very locally to me and I like building Kingston built aircraft...

• 2 weeks later...

Just finishing off my 1/24 Stuka, loved it and builds into a really nice model. Aso trying to finish my 1/24 Mossie, also a very enjoyable build.

Only aftermarket I bought for the Stuka were seatbelts, and I added a little extra detail into the cockpit. Personally speaking, more than happy with the result.

Just finishing off my 1/24 Stuka, loved it and builds into a really nice model. Aso trying to finish my 1/24 Mossie, also a very enjoyable build.

Only aftermarket I bought for the Stuka were seatbelts, and I added a little extra detail into the cockpit. Personally speaking, more than happy with the result.

I have the decals for the instrument panel, the camoflage masks & the Swastikas for the tail.

However where did you source the seatbelts?

In the meantime, after a month busy going loco with loco's - I restarted work on the 109 (photo's to follow) this afternoon.

I have the decals for the instrument panel, the camoflage masks & the Swastikas for the tail.

However where did you source the seatbelts?

In the meantime, after a month busy going loco with loco's - I restarted work on the 109 (photo's to follow) this afternoon.

I answered my own question lol, I found the Eduard Seatbelts on the Hannants website - which I subsequently order, along with some for the Mossie  😎

In the meantime, I got the wheel wells painted on the 109...

/media/tinymce_upload/c2901a09ec0808c4c96150914d4e0aac.jpg

More progress today, a sea of Tamiya masking tape (my bulk order arrived) - with a few bits of maskol..

/media/tinymce_upload/8bda3cc4cf209a7fbe0d6521ff0338d0.jpg

Front & rear section's of the canopy painted & glued into position

/media/tinymce_upload/941c191d62bf905521ad28d55ca56385.jpg

Canopy masked and ready to return to the paint shop for a nice coat of BS Dark Earth..

/media/tinymce_upload/2c2095c4bab675fdb6776dfd388f14f2.jpg

Unleash the blu-tak sausages (or wurst)!!!

Time to mask up for camouflage!

/media/tinymce_upload/b1571d92b5313bec04f06c6b3bc8f685.jpg

I think it went quite well - considering it's the first time I've airbrushed an Allied War-bird.

/media/tinymce_upload/fc460f5b6c5c5b1e550234f8fe32adc1.jpg

Some touching up needed, but I'm pleased with the results - all the loco's I've been re-painting has improved my masking skills...

More progress - gun's in place and touching done.

/media/tinymce_upload/944047ea9786bd101a35332035e87535.jpg

Sitting on her undercarriage, prop spinner painted

/media/tinymce_upload/59afc3d69fa61307dea4f03718a2ba26.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/99368357976ef3db9aa0f00e2ceabb26.jpg

I've got various parts in different stages of paint (prop is 2 thirds complete).

However I've got to scratch build the Pitot tube assembly as it's a molding short in the kit - I only just noticed, oh well it will be scratch built  😎

Ready for decals, I should hopefully get the few remaining parts painted tomorrow (central section of canopy, aerial and the newly scratch built pitot tube assembly).

While this is being done I'll get the decals applied.

/media/tinymce_upload/97426ba42aba4a336fd4133f4661607e.jpg

Productive day...

..and a lot of decals!

/media/tinymce_upload/32ddcba4101e7eea1552a4b60a89b202.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/12c58f14c0a98b9c6cd9216defbd1072.jpg

And what would the finished plane be, without a cameo of the next build...

/media/tinymce_upload/82a22bf8ab1c03ab367890e80dda5c0f.jpg

More photo's to come..

Oh nice, I've got 1 in my stash aswell which I got on Pre-order when it was released with every intention of building it but I haven't got round to it yet! And the Bf109 looks good too and upto your usual high standards, I just can't get used to seeing it in RAF colours and roundels ......... !!

Oh nice, I've got 1 in my stash aswell which I got on Pre-order when it was released with every intention of building it but I haven't got round to it yet! And the Bf109 looks good too and upto your usual high standards, I just can't get used to seeing it in RAF colours and roundels ......... !!

It's a very rewarding kit to build and extremely straight forward. Yes there's a few bits that need fettling, but nothing major. It's always worth having a supply of styrene handy in various shapes though - in case of a missing/molding short.

If memory serves this is only the third aircraft I've done with the Prototype/evaluation RAF Colours and the first done by airbrush. It's also only the third* BF109 I've done!

In the meantime, here's a few more shots..

/media/tinymce_upload/9a7c3a53369e20e7acc4b0797fa6945c.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/7b70672ef0c4d34e9f8cbf02bb48a8d7.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/a968e5333160cbbf4c66e750a754838e.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e57d1f0fa5fe7ebf65029d9b78e176a2.jpg

Tomorrow I can finally make a start on Dougal  😎

* Matchbox 1/72nd, Airfix 1/24th & Airfix 1/48th  😉

Looks Great. The camo colours really 'pop' on the matting surface you have chosen!

And Dougal will be my chosen finish too. Will follow your next build with added interest!!

That's the table cloth (which ironically came from Bavaria) on the patio table lol

It's been a prep day for Dougal, I had to find all the Big Ed parts I didn't use on the the 224 Squadron Shack. I needed the flap kit & mask set. She'll be post landing with flaps deployed and bomb bay doors closed - the fuselage will be a quick build as a result hopefully.

And I've just sorted all the paints out for him too (didn't need the app on my tablet this time to convert Humbrol to Vallejo Model Air)

Archived