SAirfix Austin Maxi 1500 1/32 scale (M 304 C)

Ratch

2065 posts

Community Moderator

I've just searched for one of my father's old number plates and that doesn't exist either. Maybe they don't recognise old plates.

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum

Paws4thot

890 posts

@Gordon @Ratch - I don't know which way you searched, but the "registration database" will only show up active registrations. For example, I think "JAG 1" will show as being on a "Jaguar D-Type" (well-known racing car which was road registered with this number in the 1950s). "JAQ 1" may well show on a Jaguar Motors registered car, "THE 911S" might show as a Porsche UK plate (I'm deliberately picking plates that were last heard of by me on famous and/or company owned vehicles).

Checking the DVLA "plates for sale" portal might show up "presently unallocated plates", such as maybe "R4 TCH"?

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

Ratch

2065 posts

Community Moderator

@Paws4thot

the "registration database" will only show up active registrations

That's what I suspected. I was searching for SMV 906, the registration on my dad's old Rover. Obviously they do not retain historical data, so the Maxi Reg BYN 457H won't come up either.

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum

the2ems

8 posts

The OP states it is an original registration from 1969/70.

DavidJC

583 posts

Community Moderator

@Paws4thot

@Gordon @Ratch - I don't know which way you searched, but the "registration database" will only show up active registrations. 

I don't know that's entirely accurate? I use 'Check if a vehicle is taxed', a Government website, and have found an old H registration car (that is, the 1960s H) and it found it correctly, saying that there is no MOT and untaxed since 1982, which would pretty much tie in accurately to my knowledge. That said I tried a 1960s G registration and there was no information at all. Another K and R registration (1970s) were also correctly identified. So I think this particular website can query its database at far back as H though no presumably earlier. Whether or not those cars or plates still exist I don't know but the website also nots SORN and I can't beleive that the cars I have tried all exist still. That said I concur, the Maxi plate wasn't found on the database; but I wonder, could that be because it never existed?

GNR-Gordon-4

185 posts

That explains why the registration on this Airfix Austim Maxi kit, 'BYN 457H', has not shown up. Either the DVLA do not hold this data anymore, or they do not currently allow for this data to be visible for search, by the public.

GNR-Gordon-4

A Thomas & Friends OO, HO and OO-9 Model Railway Gauge's Collector Since 2005, an Eddie Stobart Spotter and Collector Since 2010 and an Airfix QUICK BUILD Collector Since 2017; Living in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom.

pg-scout

9 posts

"Over 300 kits" according to that complaints slip.  A quck count on the website (simply adding the total at the bottom of each category page i.e not ignoring out of stock and double counting items which appear in more than on category - eg starter kits) gets to about 187.

GNR-Gordon-4

185 posts

This could be due to several reasons. 1, don't forget that this kit is from the 1980's and the 1990's and 2, the cost to produce and the cost to buy them back then, was cheaper than it is now. Hence why Hornby Hobbies, don't produce as many Airfix kits, these days.

GNR-Gordon-4 

A Thomas & Friends OO, HO and OO-9 Model Railway Gauge's Collector Since 2005, an Eddie Stobart Spotter and Collector Since 2010 and an Airfix QUICK BUILD Collector Since 2017; Living in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom.

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product