SJunkers Ju87B-2

FLD

3 posts

Dear Forum,

I have recently joined this wonderful community and I am, obviously, new to Airfix. I have decided to add this amazing activity to my hobbies and I just have a newbie question: I have got this Junkers Ju87B-2 as a present and I would like some guidance regarding the tools, paints and any other additional things which need to be purchased prior to starting to build this aircraft. I am actually into ships and, after I finish this aircaft I will be ordering a ship model to build. More exactly, can I buy a general tool box kit, paints, etc..and from where?

Many thanks for your replies and looking forward to future colaboration,

KR,

F.

If you are in the UK, hobbycraft will sell everything and if you are abroad you can find a dedicated model shop to buy everything

Why is my undercarriage stuck to my thumb?

LeonF

74 posts

Some places are obvious - local hobby shops if your lucky enough to have one, Hobbycraft have a large choice of tools and accessories not only in the modelling aisles but also some useful stuff scattered around the other craft sections eh. wire, chain, tissue paper etc.

If there's neither then maybe look out for train or rc sellers which have a lot of overlap with plastic modelling.

DIY stores and even Wilkinsons etc can provide cheap sanding tools, tweezers, cutting mats etc etc.

Basically keep you eyes open as tools and accessories can show up in the most unlikely places. 

Paul Brown

789 posts

Community Moderator

The small toolset on the accessories page is enough to get you started, if you're buying elsewhere it gives you an idea what to look for. https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/paints-accessories/accessories.html

After investing in a decent craft knife handle(s) plus blades, I would suggest a good set of needle files and assorted tweezers would be very useful. Swann Morton scalpel handles are very good, as would be an assortment of their blades. You'll need abrasives, personally I prefer the sponge sanders that you can get nowadays, like these: https://www.modelsforsale.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=664981&MFS-na-014-Super-Set-of-Sanding-Files-and-Sponges-9-pieces

Also very handy for final polishing, especially to get transparencies sparkling, is a two/three way nail polisher. My personal favourite is The Edge Super Shiner.

One of these days I'll get around to doing a 'beginners - what you need to get started' piece.

Ratch

2650 posts

Community Moderator

Tools Swann-Morton scalpel A good hobby knife (not a big Stanley type) with a few blades, straight edged and curved. Zip-lock plastic bags (various sizes) Side cutters Sandpaper/sanding board/file or wet & dry Glue A decent pair of tweezers with a good grip at the tips A wooden block or cutting mat Any paint brushes you buy should be good quality ones, you will require 3 or 4 different sizes, Winsor and Newton are recognised as being quite good, and look after them.

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/index.php

T2B

1077 posts

Nothing wrong with a 'big Stanley knife' if your comfortable using it! I've been using 1 for nearly 5 decades and only added a small craft knife to my tools about 10 years ago. Have modernised that lately to a Swann-Morton but the Stanley knife still makes an appearance when required!!

Tweezers

132 posts

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Airfix-Book-Scale-Modelling/dp/1844861260

Booksale had this reduced, a great guide on all aspects of scale modelling

Reccommended

Paws4thot

1250 posts

A set of mini-drills and a pin vice (aka a pin chuck) without a knob on the end (the knob makes it much easier to break bits).

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

Rockhopper

9 posts

My top tip from someone who has just got back into model making after a gap of 35 years is to buy an airbrush.  £60 will get you the whole kit including a compressor, hose etc.  Then all you need are paints and thinners (if you use acrylics then water can be used).

Sanding sticks, tweezers etc from poundland - no need to pay inflated prices for the same thing from a model shop.

This is my 1/72 scale Stuka - this was about the fifth model in my recent build session

Admin edit: Image link

FLD

3 posts

@captain triggers

If you are in the UK, hobbycraft will sell everything and if you are abroad you can find a dedicated model shop to buy everything

Thank you! I live abroad and use mainly Amazon. Have already ordered the workstation, a medium tool set and cement. These were the only ones which I could easily find on Amazon. Now I need to find brushes and paint. I have details on the paint (some random numbers and A and B) on the model's case but here is where I am confused. Why they couldn't simply print on the case itself or inside on the buillding instructions what kind of paint one's need for this model. As I said, I got this as a gift and it is a level 4 so you can imagine that it is not easy for a rookie. Thankk you anyways for taking the time to write! KR,

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product