SMe262 Fail

I messed this kit up so much lmao. This is the second scale model kit i've made, first one was an Emhar Mark V. The constuction of this kit was great, basically no gaps. Then i painted it, didn't use masking tape to make a decent line between the under and top of the plane, I did thin it but brush marks are present. Then mottling, i failed miserably. I didn't thin out the paint enough when dotting it on, and i didn't have any Humbrol clear to dull the effect. Lets just say the next time i get a kit, im going to thin the paints some more haha.

Heather Kay

260 posts

I wouldn’t give up on it. There are various model paint strippers available which would let you take the paint back off and try again.

If you decide not strip the model, then keep it as a practice piece to try various painting ideas and techniques on.

A professional modeller of railway subjects, and a reborn Airfix fan. Definitely into combat aircraft in service on all sides in the summer of 1940, but known to occasionally veer off into other interesting things!

Paws4thot

1238 posts

I've seen worse, and mottle camoflage is a notoriously difficult thing to get right (I've still never managed).

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

Ratch

2643 posts

Community Moderator

Skills are acquired over a period of time. Those who have never made a mistake have not made anything. Many models we see on line have years of experience behind them. I find it annoying when someone pops up with a really good build and says "this is my first model" - I wonder how many they threw away and didn't count. The day I make the perfect model will be the day to give up this hobby, because I won't be able to make a better one.

Keep at it and enjoy the journey.

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/index.php

elkhart

51 posts

Don't give up on it yet. You may want to try priming, then repainting. Let the current coat of paint CURE, I'd give it two weeks. A great primer is Rust-Oleum American Accents Primer. Most big box stores will have it. In my opinion it works just as well as Tamiya primer. Don't worry about filling the panel lines in with too much paint, the ME 262 had a panel -free surface for the most part. 

For the mottling, experiment with a small piece of sponge. 

Hang in there! When things go perfectly, you're not learning much, overcoming problems will make you a better modeler.

( I have several painting disasters in my Box of Doom!)

John Symmons

990 posts

Hi Daniel.

I can only echo the above comments My first models back in 1950's were no better than yours in fact my first Albatros had silver tyres and paint and glue finger prints all over it. We've all made some models that we're not that proud of and I congatulate you for showing your failure, it's an inspiration to other new-comers, and and a reminder to us more expierianced modellers of where we all come from. 

If you've used Acrylic paint it can be easily striped of using meths. then you can try again, and believe me painting a straight line is almost impossible on a curved surface. Check the techniques forum for useful tips and advice, and as Paws4thot says mottling is notoriously difficult especially with a brush and acrylics, even with a stippling btush.

Hope this helps and looking forward to hearing and seeing more of your adventures.

Remember we do this for fun                                           John the Pom

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product