SNew 1:35 AFV’s

Red Kite

2 posts

Having just purchased the 2019 Airfix catalogue, I was surprised to see the announcement of a new range of 1:35 military vehicle kits. Thinking that this must be another manafacturer’s kits going under the Airfix label, and upon checking the specs listed towards the back of the publication, it seems that these kits will be Airfix renditions of WW2 military vehicles because the number of parts is to be advised.

I don’t Understand the Company’s logic of going down this road in this scale, as virtually all these kits have been done before by anyone squirting liquid plastic into mounds!  Far, far more sensible, I would have thought, to expand the range of 1:48 scale kits to go with the excellent and expanding range of 1:48 aircraft! How about a Humber armoured car, Daimler armoured car, a Comet, Centurion and Conqueror tank for starters? There’s a dearth of WW2 and Cold War vehicles just begging to be made and purchased by the 1:48th Brigade. Think again Airfix!

Ratch

2614 posts

Community Moderator

These are Academy kits reboxed, except for the tractor, which is from Thunder Models. Does that allay your fears?

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/index.php

Red Kite

2 posts

Red Kite.

Thanks for that Ratch. I remember many, many years ago, the pre-Hornby Airfix released a small number is of 1:35 American army trucks which I think were Max models. They weren’t mainstream items like these Academy kits, and quickly disappeared. I suppose Academy have had their money’s worth from the mounds of these forthcoming Airfix releases, but frankly there’s only so many Panthers and Tigers one needs.

Ratch

2614 posts

Community Moderator

They also reboxed a couple of Italeri 1/35 kits and one Trumpeter in the early 2000s.

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/index.php

Paul Brown

771 posts

Community Moderator

@Red Kite

...there’s only so many Panthers and Tigers one needs.

I think there's only the one Panther, but five Tiger Is and four Sherman/Sherman chassis, plus two Hetzers! I think punters might find the number of Tigers and Shermans a little bewildering.

spadgent

119 posts

i'm personally quite happy about them but i do see where you are coming from about the 1/48  stuff.  (very good).  but having ventured into more AFV's recently i'm not to bothered.  even got plans for them already!

what!! 11 o'clock already! i should realy stop modeling and get to bed.

LeonF

70 posts

I am happy that Airfix have once again paired up with Academy even though I doubt I shall be buying any - well not quite true as I like my oddballs & rarities and the almost forgotten Panzer 35(t) fits the bill perfectly.

Hopefully it will be successful and we'll get some of their later period kits too. I could certainly manage another HMMWV or M113, or the very nice 1/72 Vehicles including the Dragon Wagon! 

Even more happy if they also takeover their aircraft from Revell as the prices really seem to have jumped on the recent reboxes - although the prospects of having the Y1B-17 or B-17B in an Airfix box might perhaps be a wish too far. 

Paws4thot

1212 posts

@Paul Brown

...there’s only so many Panthers and Tigers one needs.

I think there's only the one Panther, but five Tiger Is and four Sherman/Sherman chassis, plus two Hetzers! I think punters might find the number of Tigers and Shermans a little bewildering.

The number of Sherman variants is "headache making", given things like the 3 differential cases, 3 visually different front hulls, at least 2 different rear hulls, 2 suspensions, 4 main guns (WW2 only; Ishermans complicate this further), and at least one photo of a VVSS Sherman with an M3 (Medium) bogie in the central position on one side...

And that's before we get into stuff like applique armour, Cullen cutters, "funnies"...

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

paul-muc

173 posts

I remember that, when intruducing the "vintage classics" series, they said, that in the future Airfix would only offer kits of their own.

Am I wrong or has this been forgotten?

Paul Brown

771 posts

Community Moderator

I don't think there's any kits announced that are labled 'Vintage Classic' that aren't Airfix tooling. As I understand it the 1/35 armour will be in regular red boxes.

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product