New Releases 2019

Just seen the new releases for 2019, great to see a NEW TOOL Buccaneer and MiG 17 in 1/72. I will defo buy at least 1 of each. All those 1/35 armour kits, they can't all be new tool Airfix, they must be someone else's in Airfix boxes? With the vintage kits some gems there, I'll be getting a Heron when it comes out. Quite happy altogether.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Buc and MiG17 are top of my list and some interesting selections for the Vintage Classics range - lots of vehicles to go with Hornby stocking Airfix Battles as well as several ships (Victorious has just displaced Ark Royal on my desired list and Graf Spee was my first ship build, but 'Fearless' was my favourite) and the Apollo kits are being reissued to mark the 50th Anniversary of the Moon Landings. I built the LEM years agoand always wanted the Saturn V so they are much wanted.

Not sure how desirable the F-15, 16 and 18 will be now as these will be the 1980s toolings and not the latest versions, still a lot of people have been wanting to see versions of these. Then there is Black Mike and a new version of the 1/48 Hunter in Suez markings.

This is the busiest release programme I have seen in the last few years with quite a few interesting options.

Awful

Here's some suggestions:

1) Don't buy any Airfix this year

2) Hope that next year things will be better for you

3) Address the stash (if you have one)

4) Buy kits in scales and genres from the myriad other manufacturers that are in the plastic kit business, that suit your taste

They couldn't do anything for D-day in 1/48 either; how hard would it be be to knock together a D-day set similar to the battle of Britain one 

I'm struggling to think of which kits, other than the P-51D, that are available from the current tooling catalogue, from which you could 'knock together' a D-Day set. Give us a clue.

I was very dissapointed with tha last Buccaneer 're-tool' since it perpetuated the wrong nose profile of the NA.39 prototype. 

Freightdog did a correction piece, along with some other accessores, that will now be redundant. The new kit is based on a LIDAR scan.

Might take a punt on the MiG-17 but tbh I find little else excited me. 

OK so the Bristol Bulldog might accidentally enter the stash. And a Demon as I never built one when they were commonplace. 

And that (Thunder Models) Tractor... 

And...I'll have a think, might be one or two but I at best I'm luke warm. Will look closer once the website speeds up again. 

Graham

Agree with you entirely, your guess is as good as mine. I remember building all the 1/600 scale ships listed when i was in my early teens. Im fifty five now, bet i will not be able to make them any better than i did then. As like me the molds where alot younger. Just keep buying kits from overseas companies. Who are prepared to make very good ships of the Royal Navy, and sell them i presume at a profit. Maybe Airfix one day will fill this hole in their range, but im not holding my breath.

I had a weird sense a 1/48 Tiger Moth was coming, and I am so very pleased! As excited as I am to see images of this new kit it's weird that each picture in its product listing are repeated six or so times!

Also, I'm very concerned about the lack of legroom for the rear cockpit...

Hmmm...

I was quite intrigued to see some Belgians make an appearance among this year's line-up (1/72 Gloster Gladiator and 1/48 Hawker Hunter F.4), however...

It appears the otherwise excellent Airfix research team made a minor mistake in researching the 'Red Devils' Hawker Hunter, in that they took the Brussels Air Museum example as their research sample!  The 'real' IF-70 was indeed a Hawker Hunter that flew with the Red Devils display team, however it was a Hunter F.6 rather than a Hunter F.4!  (IF-70 was the Fokker-built c/n 8820, delivered December 1958 and withdrawn November 1963; sold to Hawker in January 1965 as G-9-160, converted to FGA.73 and delivered to the Kuwaiti Air Force as 215 in February of 1966).

The Brussels Air Museum example is Hunter F.4 ID-46 (Fairey Aviations-built c/n AF39, delivered December 1956 but already written off June 1957; used as instructional airframe until transfer to the Brussels Air Museum); it was painted up as IF-70 (a Red Devils Hunter F.6 used during the 1961-1963 seasons) soon after its arrival at the Museum in March of 1960, and never restored to its original livery or identity.

Hawker Hunter F.4s in Belgian service received serials in the ID-series (ID-1 to ID-64, financed under the US Off-Shore Program and rumoured to have originally been destined for the reborn West-German Luftwaffe; and ID-101 to ID-148, financed by the Belgian State itself - hence the odd break in the middle of the block); Hunter F.6s in Belgian service received serials in the IF-series (IF-1 to IF-144, all financed by the Belgian State).

The Red Devils display team (or rather, the display team of 7 Squadron) only flew the Hunter F.4 once, during the 'Meeting des Nations' on June 29th 1958, using five aircraft; however these appeared in standard Belgian Air Force camouflage (they were respectively ID-101/7J-Z, ID104/7J-T, ID-114/7J-T, ID-122/7J-N, and ID-136/7J-U).  These five aircraft only flew for the team once, as they were soon afterwards retrofitted with the Hunter F.6 dogtooth leading edge. (ID-104 & 122 in July of 1958, ID-101 in September of 1958, and ID-114 & 136 in November of 1958).  By the time of their following meet at Chièvres, Belgium on October 10th 1958, 7 Squadron had converted to the Hawker Hunter F.6, but they still hadn't received permission for a special livery.  That livery didn't come until the spring of 1959 (at the time a still-timid Belgian tricolor wing livery added to the standard NATO camouflage; and the team only first presented itself as the 'Red Devils' during the July 5th 1959 meeting at Gosselies (Charleroi) in Belgium.

(Sources:

http://belmilac.wikifoundry.com/

https://www.hangarflying.eu/2017/12/1951-1959-lere-bladt-ou-quand-les-diables-rouges-netaient-pas-encore-ni-diables-ni-rouges/

I also happened to note a returning issue with the livery of the Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero kit (A01005), which is presented as an aircraft of 201 Kokutai, Imperial Japanese Navy, at the Tobera Airfield in Keravat, East New Britain in Papua New Guinea.  This is not the case - the aircraft is marked with the kanji 'Tsu' () which was attributed to the Tsukuba Naval Air Group, 11th Training Combined Air Group, Imperial Japanese Navy, based out of Tsukuba Air Base, Tsukuba, Japan.  Instead, the unit code for the 201 Kokutai would have been '02-', a famous example of an aircraft being marked that way would be the A6M2b flown by Yukio Seki (02-888 of 301 Hitokai, 201 Kokutai at Mabalacat, the Philippines) during the first organised Kamikaze attack on October 25th 1944.

Other than that - I'm definitely looking forward to this year's releases, especially the MiG-17!

I initially looked upon the new releases with a great surge of excitement: new tank models, a Henschel Hs123, a good half dozen civillian models and some interesting modern aircraft. Then, my excitement steadily decreased as I scrolled through each page: not a single Australian schemed model, with the exception of the matilda Hedgehog (which I'm pretty sure is an Australian scheme). The Matilda was little respite as I a), prefer to build aircraft and b) prefer smaller scales like 1/72. There were practically no new models to content a 1/72 scale aircraft modeller.

Anyway, enough of my complaints, there were several re-released aircraft and armour models which I would be willing to buy, such as the aforementioned Hs 123 and the Bedford QL trucks.

Stop complaining! Just because they are old tools and borrowed tools does mean they are bad kits. True they may have rivets, no cockpits and thick trailing edges does not mean that this year is rubbish. Oversized ribs and thick trailing edges? Sand it down to scale. No cockpits? Better get that plasticard out! Get over it, we come always hope for the return of the Roy Cross boxes! 

Awful

Especially for 1/48 modeller with only 3/4 '''new" models with only 2 being new

They couldn't do anything for D-day in 1/48 either; how hard would it be be to knock together a D-day set similar to the battle of Britain one 

Sorry but over the past couple of years the 1:48 scale kits have been well represented with new tool kits and again in 2019 have done well with the new Spitfire Mk.XIV and Tiger Moth, both kits being popular requests.

Airfix can't give everyone exactly what they want, and have to try and satisfy a while cross section of different interests!!

Stop complaining! Just because they are old tools and borrowed tools does mean they are bad kits. True they may have rivets, no cockpits and thick trailing edges does not mean that this year is rubbish. Oversized ribs and thick trailing edges? Sand it down to scale. No cockpits? Better get that plasticard out! Get over it, we come always hope for the return of the Roy Cross boxes! 

Its not these old re-releases that the problem, i am sure many will enjoy building these kits, though of course you can get many of them on the second hand market, and i must admit i am enjoying building my SM 79 and filling gaps you could drive a tank division through. Its the total lack of new subjects, especially British ones, that no one else is doing and that Airfix could clean up on.

They could have done an F-35. Plenty of companies have released that subject, now they have a year to produce some RAF markings. And while i am pleased to see that Phantom kit, saves me buying AM decals, i am sure the guys across the pond would have lapped up a US version.

Maybe they are putting lots of time into reserching new subjects for next year, but i certainly don't see 2019 being a fantastic year as the headline announces. On the 80th year of the company, i would have expected better than a host of kits that are nearly as old as the company itself.

I tend to agree with Captain Triggers and am a little disappointed with all the doom and gloom posts and complaints.

Airfix cannot satisfy everyone's individual tastes and still be a viable commercial company. 1:48th scale modellers have 2 new tools, 1:72nd scale have the new MIG 17 and my favourite the Buccaneer, plus upgrades to other new tool kits such as the Wellington GR Mk.VIII! And not forgetting the big Hellcat in 1:24th scale. OK it's not as many as 3 or 4 years ago but these are difficult financial times, so plenty for me to choose from!

And although I prefer the new tool kits I recall lots of posts in the past asking for the return of some of the old classics. So overall WELL DONE AIRFIX, from me at least!!

Its the total lack of new subjects, especially British ones, that no one else is doing and that Airfix could clean up on.

Have you had a look back over, say, the last 3-4 years and counted how many new tool kits Airfix have produced? Then compared with actual new tooling from their mainstream competitors? I think you'll be surprised. Airfix is not a huge organisation and they don't have extensive R & D resources, there's only so much that can be done over a given period. The programme we are seeing this year will be a reflection of the resources that were available during 2016-2017 - beyond that for the 1/24 Hellcat.

Well, of course, each to their own. I would like to see the company do well, it has been really nice seeing the revival of Airfix the last few years. I have gone from avoiding them like death to really looking forward to their new releases. And i just think they have missed out on a lot potential buisness. A US Phantom would have been a big hit simply by some changes to the mould and new decals.

Your right, you can't please everyone, but a better balance would be nice.

Complainers should have just as much right to moan as Fanboys have to cheer. 

3 new tools plus the earlier 2018 Spitfire and Hellcat are welcome, but it's hardly stellar. That leaves 98 others some of which are questionable choices. 

Since the D-Day 75th releases they have a poor showing on other anniversaries. After the lacklustre kit releases for the End of the Great War and RAF 100 I had hoped for 2019 to be an improvement - 50 years since Apollo 11, and of Concordes first flight. Sadly neither have warranted new plastic either. Missed opportunities for what are surely well known, highly marketable subjects. 

So after more perusing during this mornings tea break it remains MiG-17 and selected classics for me. 

Yes I am an Airfix fan and of course people are entitled to a moan but almost without exception that was the context of the posts I was reading so I just wanted to redress the balance and in my opinion give some perspective! And as Paul Brown points out Airfix have over recent years given us Airfix modellers far more wonderful new tool offerings than any of the other major model companies!

Last year Revell had 10 new moulds that I know of, maybe more, and Trumpeter releases regularly too. Both well above Airfix's count so the idea that they are the major player in modelling output is simply wrong. Go anywhere outside the aircraft forums and the name all but disappears, and is likely to remain sidelined whilst they produce so few vehicles, ships, armour etc, especially new ones. They have some way to go yet. 

As to negativity Airfix is not, and should not be immune to such opinions. If its 100% positive because only Fanboys post and releases arent scrutinised for worthiness for detail/accuracy/price/desirability then it'll get boring fast. 

This time I suspect if you take out the Buccaneer fanclub then these new announcements would get an equal amount of 'meh' in many quarters with only the Tiger Moth causing a stir for 1/48 and Biplane lovers. It seems the unexpected MiG has gotten as many 'why?' as 'wow!' because it doesn't fit the 'Airfix niche'. 

Actually, for me the bigger surprise this year is the addition of a 1/35 range of armoured vehicles, which is not exactly something Airfix is known for - iirc, most of the armoured vehicles up to now were in the 1/32 range, and while some are 'the usual suspects' (i.e. Panzer IV, Panther, Tiger, Sherman and T-34) that none the less will be welcome, others are very nice and surprising additions indeed (I can't recall too many kits of the LT.35/Pz.Kpfw 35(t) or of the M-36 Jackson, and the little tractor has me intrigued!)

The MiG-17 makes for a wonderful addition to any range, as it is an aircraft type that is not often seen in this scale - other than the vintage KP kit of the early 1970s and the Hasegawa one from the same era - both covering the radar-equiped version; the Dragon kit from the 1990s with numerous shape issues; and the recent but difficult to build entry by AZ, it seems to have been somewhat ignored (most manufacturers going for either the Korea-era Mig-15, or the Vietnam-era MiG-21) despite its important role in a number of conflicts, especially those in the Middle East and Vietnam of course!

Of course, the 'why' mostly seems to stem from it appearing in the releases list instead of a newly moulded Brit (de Havilland Venom, anybody?) but that doesn't mean it's any less welcome!

One clarification request. As plenty of people have mentioned, there will be many 'Classic' kits released this year along with more modern moulded items. Since, believe it or not, some modellers have never seen these older kits before (due to being young or newer mature modellers), I suggest putting some indication on the boxing as to how old the mould is. I'd hate for someone's first kit to be a 1967 moulded horror and have them put off modelling for many years/ life.

One clarification request. As plenty of people have mentioned, there will be many 'Classic' kits released this year along with more modern moulded items. Since, believe it or not, some modellers have never seen these older kits before (due to being young or newer mature modellers), I suggest putting some indication on the boxing as to how old the mould is. I'd hate for someone's first kit to be a 1967 moulded horror and have them put off modelling for many years/ life.

I think you will find every item that has V in the product code such as A2301V will be marketed and packaged in the vintage range, with appropriate history. At the time of writing Airfix hasn't added these to the vintage section but in the 2019 listings all those older kits have that "V" suffix.

Archived