SPanzer IV Ausf. F2 1/76

jopres57

107 posts

Just had another 'back to the future' experience with this old kit after seeing it back on sale in the Classics range. It seems a bit ropey now but I remember this was state of the art when it first appeared. It was certainly a big step up in quality from the Airfix  sixties tanks.

The driver is a Preiser figure while the commander is from the Revell Luftwaffe set. I think it's been mentioned before on this forum that the latter figures are particularly good value. 

After all these years I have only recently noticed that the drum on the back is an exhaust, I always assumed it was some kind of fuel tank. I built the model as per the instructions but can't help thinking that having a jerry-can full of fuel perched on top of a hot exhaust is probably not a good idea. Has anyone ever seen a picture of a real tank with this configuration?

I've built up a bit of a squad of these over the years. The model on the right was built about ten years ago. The two to the left were both built shortly after the kit was first released. The latter were my first, slightly grim, attempts at weathering and modifications. I hope the kit continues to be released, but perhaps a bit of an update is in order.

Ratch

2614 posts

Community Moderator

Maybe the Jerry can was filled with water. A WW2 tank commander I knew said they didn't carry fuel externally in case they were hit (and he'd had 3 tanks blown from under him).

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/index.php

jopres57

107 posts

I think your old friend has a good point there Ratch. I remember in the seventies it was quite common to have fuel cans on the outside of British armoured vehicles, usually Kero (Paraffin) for cooking. It's likely that a valuable lesson in safety, learned the hard way, had been forgotten. Not for the first time and no doubt not the last.

Paws4thot

1212 posts

5 gallons (that's real gallons, not US 'gallons' too) of fuel isn't much use to a tank!

Even though the Germans didn't know about Benghazi burners lubricating oil, paraffin or water all seem more likely.

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product