Trevithick's Locomotive 1804

Some time ago I managed to acquire one of the last boxed copies of the 1/32nd scale "engineering" kits. Best Beloved quite likes the quirky models like these, so it made sense to get it while it was available. Sadly, others in the series are no longer in production and while they're available from various sources, they cost a fortune now.

/media/tinymce_upload/258cb0f682779000bb58ca5f3f0f1837.jpg

I had built the loco part some time ago. I even managed to finish so the moving parts still moved! I have only just got round to painting the plinth, though.

/media/tinymce_upload/60ac98bfe126a68ebb699cf1af69023e.jpg

It was an interesting build. For the sake of robustness, I used some stiff brass wire for the axles. I lost one of the moulded "bolts" so I've substituted a brass one to hold the flywheel coupling rod in place. I have no idea of the colours the real thing was painted - the working replicas seem to go with black overall - so I followed the kit instruction suggestions. 

Hello Heather.

Now that's something different. Looks great and lovely to see it. Isn't the replica in the science musium in Soulth Kensington?

I echo your thoughts that it's a pity these kits seem to have dissappeared into the dust of the past, and while they may not have the mass appeal of a Spitfire they were and still are unique and deserve to be available. Our local model shop does have the Jet emgine and the four stroke engine in stoke but at a price. Personally i'd sooner put my money towards a decant Ju 88 kit but I must say i'd be sorely tempted by the Trevithick. Now if only it could be motorised, that would be a sight.

Wonder if it's still available at the science musium's gift shop?

Thanks again for showing an unusual Airfix Golden oldy.

Remember we do this for fun                        John the Pom

Archived