Another quick build for a Britmodeller group build, this little kit isn't exactly taxing. My kit, purchased in its slimline box in the 1990s, has 1980 inside the fuselage - though I think the original kit dates from 1978 or 1979.
Happily, there is little of the cockpit visible, so I got on with getting the fuselage and wings together. A little filler is needed along the fuselage seams, though the fit isn't that bad all things considered. The wings needed a little fettling to sit neatly in general. The pilot's seat and floor can, thankfully, be inserted from below before the wings go on. That means I could paint the interior a little after fixing things together.
Unusually for me, I'm fitting a pilot. The kit example would have been fine, but I wanted one with arms that could be posed. I have an idea to have the pilot just waving to the ground crew to indicate he's happy to take off. I first tried a figure from the Revell set of pilots and ground crew, but my chosen example proved a little large for the available space. Essentially, I found I couldn't fit the floor and seat with the pilot in place after the fuselage was stuck together. Into my bits box, and I found a *ahem* Luftwaffe pilot who was petite enough to fit nicely, and had arms that could be positioned.
I got a squirt of primer on the main components, and a coat of Humbrol 90 Sky acrylic on the undersides earlier today. This evening, while listening to the England-India first test match, I brush painted Xtracrylix Dark Earth and Dark Green on the top sides. The wings still haven't been glued to the fuselage, as I am still working on the pilot detailing. Funnily enough, the Xtradecal set of transfers I have include AZ-H, so I shall be able to replicate the original box model without risking aged Airfix transfers.
If the temperature and humidity eases a bit, I shall hopefully get transfers done tomorrow, and the vac-form canopy organised.