How's about a small write-up on the build?
First and foremost I enjoyed it, and Airfix have redeemed themselves over my 1/48 Meteor experience. Well done Airfix, I really am looking forward to the Sea Fury.
I class myself as an 'experienced beginner'. I do want accuracy and I do want an accurate and easy build without having to faff around - an assembler, if you like, which are looked down on with disdain. So it's with pleasure I can report that even a builder like myself found the kit beautifully fitting with only the tiniest amount of filler needed, which could even be down to me rather than the kit. As mentioned above, the only bugbear was the forward bulkhead which, given the beauty of the fit of the rest of the kit, I hope was down to me being a bit clumsy rather than an error in the kit. I've not heard any negative reports from other sources unlike the Meteor which was pretty much widespread at the time. That particular bulkhead stood too proud and I had to trim down the upper edge flush with the top of the pilot's seat.
From what I thought were going to be troublesome fits - the hull halves then a third top fuselage panel I thought were all just a nightmare in waiting - proved themselves to be neat, accurate and very well-fitting pieces. The wings too, went together well as did the struts as did the forward hull cover in front of the cockpit. Detail is amazing and though I am no expert - and this will always be subject to debate and criticism from both sides - perhaps too light as I didn't think it took pane lining that well. Thus it might not take a wash well for weathering, something you can see I have attempted.
What also filled me with dread was the bracing wires. I'd done research and knew the holes are not there (to be opened up or otherwise) although there are 'nubs' or 'pips' in the appropriate places. I used EZ line and taking my time and with reverse-action tweezers, cocktail sticks, gel superglue and 'kicker' followed the guide supplied. They I felt at times a little vague for my own purposes, but with careful study, gives what you need where. I then painted the wires silver. The line doesn't take paint too well as you can see from the resulting 'blobs' which I couldn't get rid of.
I think without bracing wires, because of the very good fit of the kit, pretty much any modeller with some experience will get a great result. The bracing wires will take additional thought and skill - placing tiny blobs of superglue in the right places and holding the line in place till it's cured takes a steady hand and some patience.
I chose the overall silver which avoided painful camouflage masking in some awkward areas; that includes the upper surfaces of the lower wings. Unless these are painted before the upper and lower set are married and fitted, I can see that being very awkward indeed. I would also stand by my point that Airfix must take control of detail callouts during painting. There's no reference to propeller colours aside from a mention on the printed colour guide and that's not immediately obvious, nor is it clear what colour the engine nacelle should be.
Arguments could be held as to increasing costs, but I can't see how it would cost that much more to put in detailed colour callouts on the instructions like Tamiya. However, if that was the case, savings could be made in printing the instructions in one colour rather than the red indicating the previous stage.