This is one that has been in my stash for a while having been snubbed for a display model of a C8 by the Revell kit which came out shortly after I acquired this one (mainly the H2S bubble under the fuselage). I have subsequently finished it out of the box.
The kit was tooled in 1963 and is very impressive for its time - interior detail (primitive by modern standards but rare at the time) and moveable control surfaces. As usual you start with the cockpit and it is notable that there were some tooling errors (the aft bulkhead has features which should be on the middle (floor supports and the slot for the flight deck base). Mounting is basic so it is worth using the fuselage as a jig to get the positioning correct. You get a full crew, basic castings and only a torso for the tail gunner. Gun turrets are poseable but basic. The gun spacing needs to be set around the transparencies for fit and there was a lot of flash around the gun barrels which caused some barrel shortning on the delicate pieces.
I chose to remove the rivet detailing over the model as it was prominent, not linked to panel lines and would interfere with the larger decals. This was fairly simple to accomplish. It was during assembly that I realised part of the port horizontal stabiliser was missing. Due to the age of the kit and 5 years since its last issue no spare was available so I scratch built a replacement from plasticard. Not difficult using the upper surface as a template.
The elevators, rudders an ailerons were all fixed rather than left moveable (I broke one of the rudders while sanding off the detailing but was intending to fix them in place anyway). Fit was still pretty good, though the underside seam was a little ragged in places.
One issue I did find was that the transparencies had very little of their detail left, due to years of polishing the moulds for clarity. Only the cockpit canopy had discernable detail so the turrets were left clear. The nose bubble frames were cobbled from die cut masks to great effect and there was enough left on the cockpit to guide mask fitting.
The ailerons were designed to be hinged but the pins were fairly short and the parts quite chunky so again I fixed them in place - the landing gear doors and legs are also designed to be movable but again would be vulberable to damage. Painting was in the usual Dark Earth/Bronze Green over night black (I used Vallejo Black Grey).The decal sheet was very nice, especially the nose art, though to minimise the presence of carrier film some of the little protrusions were a little tricky to position flat.
For its time this is a very kit but has now been overtaken by technology. The tooling also seems to be getting fairly tired from half a century of stirling service. I suspect the 2014 issue may be its last. Completed pictures below.
I set the ailerons and turrets without checking which side the nose art was on. So it is about to corkscrew in the other direction to deal with a night fighter (to be added at some point in the future).