S1/350 Rigging Blocks & Pulleys - Info required please

Nick Moore

30 posts

Hi all. Does anyone know if 1/350 blocks etc for rigging ships are available anywhere? I am building a model of HMS Agamemnon in her 1908 configuration and she has a lot of rigging! From the photos I have in the R A Burt book there seemd to be numerous small blocks, along with a number of large snatch blocks at the fore and main masts. When I have a moment I will try to scale them from the photos. Grateful for any info.

A bad day building models is better than the best day working!

John Symmons

990 posts

Hi Nick.

Pully blocks at 1/350 scale will be pretty minute, I've got some for the Revell 1/96 scale Cutty Sark and they're pretty small. I'd suggest you try the folks at "Modelwarships.com" as that site is a dedicated ship building site.

Hope this helps. Remember we do this for fun.                     John the Pom

Nick Moore

30 posts

Hi John. Thanks for the info, I will give that a look. As you say, the smaller blocks etc will be tiny in 350, but looking at the photos some of what looks to be snatch blocks up the masts look to be enormous, certainly bigger than any I have seen up a mast and I have been a sailor for almost 40 years! I would be very nervous on deck undeneath them anyway......

Paws4thot

1238 posts

Well, the biggest rigging blocks I've ever seen IRL are about a foot long and half that wide, which will be under 1mm long by 0.5mm wide in 1:350. The thinnest modeling rigging cord I've ever encountered is 0.3mm, which is about scale for a mooring hawser in 1:350.

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

Nick Moore

30 posts

Hi Paws4thot. Thanks for the assist. That's around the size of the biggest blocks I've seen, but the more I look at the photos in the book the more unsure I get. They appear to be on the running rigging for the lifting booms - may be rams head blocks which would make more sense. 

Paws4thot

1238 posts

@Nick Moore

Hi Paws4thot. Thanks for the assist. That's around the size of the biggest blocks I've seen, but the more I look at the photos in the book the more unsure I get. They appear to be on the running rigging for the lifting booms - may be rams head blocks which would make more sense. 

Ah yes, it we're actually talking crane/derrick blocks they can be much bigger; how big depends on the SWL of the machine, and you'll need a real subject matter expert rather than an observer to tell you about that.

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

Ratch

2640 posts

Community Moderator

What about simulating the blocks with blobs of superglue gel.

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/index.php

Nick Moore

30 posts

Hi gents. Many thanks for the replies. I've had a gander through the Modelwarships.com site and have found some small blocks. At a very rough guess I think that 2 or possibly 3mm blocks may be close enough. I think that the SWL of these booms may have been quite high - I've worked on ships which have had the same type of wooden boom, around the same size, and I think they could take around a ton. Unfortunately I am a radio man and didn't work on deck so I never had to know the SWL of the lifting gear. So anyway, I'm going to order some, they're pretty inexpensive, and will let you know how I get on. Thanks for the tip for the small blocks Ratch, I will try this out for the small blocks dotted around the place. Onwards and upwards!

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product