S1:72nd Scale Bristol Blenheim B Mk.I & Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero Dogfight

T2B

769 posts

This is my next build project. It will be the Bristol Blenheim B Mk.1 from the Far East Command being pursued by a Japanese Zero fighter. I have the 2 kits and a 'Dogfight Double' stand purchased separately as this isn't an offical Airfix Dogfight double set. A mask set and some resin intake parts for the Blenheim complete the parts for this build.

Now for the plastic parts. The Blenheim B Mk.I was the first release by Airfix of the Blenheim's and careful study of the sprues shows that various versions of this aircraft were planned at an early stage. There are 5 grey plastic sprues, 2 x large 3 x smaller plus the clear plastic sprue.

The Zero kit contains 3 small grey plastic sprues and for a small single engined fighter is detailed including the wing-tip folding wing option.

The build will start soon 

spadgent

100 posts

the zero is a deligt to build (seriously, its not big but it goes together like a dream)

what!! 11 o'clock already! i should realy stop modeling and get to bed.

T2B

769 posts

@ m2 Browning

Thanks and I'm looking forward to building it as it's many many years since I have done a Zero or any other Japanese aircraft.

But I have started on the Blenheim 1st, though I won't bother with too detailed a build post cos it has already been pretty extensively covered!

spadgent

100 posts

i tried a old tool blenim in it was super hard to put together without filenig each bit for about 5 min

what!! 11 o'clock already! i should realy stop modeling and get to bed.

T2B

769 posts

Can't remember when i last did a Blenheim though I did do a couple, but maybe with the old tool kits I just accepted some work was needed to get the parts and panels to fit, once I wasn't just knocking them together any old way. And not doing kits from the competition apart from the odd Matchbox kit back in the day I probably didn't know any better.

But all reports say the current Blenheims fit is lovely, just like all the other new tool offerings!

Colin M

55 posts

Well I know I've built a Blenheim, but it was a long, long time ago. So I've treated myself to a new tool Mk IV which looks lovely in the box. It will be nice to see another one built (even if the greenhouse on the front is a bit different)

T2B

769 posts

I got the Blenheim Mk.I soon after it was released and as you say it looked lovely in the box, so much so that when the Mk.IVF was released I had to have that too. I ended up getting carried away and have just added the fourth version to my collection Wink!!

Don't tell you know who!

T2B

769 posts

Now for a little bit of the build.

The interior cockpit walls, bulkheads and main parts were sprayed grey/green cockpit interior, whilst the detail parts like instrument panels and seat faces were hand painted with Humbrol enamels.

The panels were given a light oil wash to hopefully give a realistic worn effect. 

As I'm intending to display the Blenheim in flight I needed some crew. The Airfix kit provides 1 crew member (presumably the pilot),so I raided 1 of my other Blenheim kits and obtained an Observer. The turret will also be in action so I needed a WOp/AG, and this crew member came from my parts bin (the 1 missing his legs below the knee).

Despite the quality of the new tool kits, I don't think the detail is much of an improvement on the pilots over some of the older tool flight crews. I painted them in tropical kharki drill, again with my trusted enamels and brushes and hopefully once behind the transparent glass parts they will look effective flight crew.

Once the cockpit is complete I will begin masking before the cockpit section is attached to the body of the aircraft.

ironsides

195 posts

Might I ask a favour and that is that you reduce the size of your images to something reasonable, as their taking a huge amount of time to download and its gets worse the longer/more pics the thread has, might I suggest limiting them to 1MB at most preferably half that..

ThanksWink

"The Battle of France is over. The Battle of Britain is about to begin." Tally Ho

T2B

769 posts

Sorry that's beyond me? I simply take a photo and upload it to my computer then upload to my choosen thread! No option to choose file size??

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product