S1:72nd Scale Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIC

T2B

1076 posts

The Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc is my next build, and it will be completed in the SEAC scheme.

This is a new tool kit released in 2010. The Mk.IIc had not previously been done by Airfix although other marks of the Hurricane had been in the Airfix range for many years. The plastic bits consist of 3 sprues of grey parts protected in a sprue square which is customary on these new tool kits. The clear parts are sealed in a separate clear plastic bag.

When I opened the box after recovering it from my stash I realised that I had started this kit a couple of years ago when I was still using enamels and brushes and I was experimenting with panel washes, and that is afar as i got! However I don't think the pre-painted port wing will effect this build.

2 decal options are included for the Huricane Mk.IIc and an option for a Sea Hurricane Mk.IIc. My build will be Option A, a Hurricane from No.34 Sqn RAF South East Asia Command Nov 1943.

The build started with the lower wing section and the construction of some minor cockpit detail.

After some Interior Grey/Green was sprayed on I decided to start painting the pilot from the kit. He looks like a pretty generic Airfix WW2 pilot and rather than waste time painting just 1 pilot I took another pilot from my spares box to be painted at the same time. The second pilot was from a new tool Spitfire Mk.1.

Hi T2B,

I've built this kit a couple of times, once as a IIc trop, and once as a Sea Hurricane IIb. The fit of parts is okay, if a bit tight in places and a nice looking model can be built up. Some of the gates to the parts are a little large and it is sometimes difficult to remove them without damage (you'll never get the aerial mast off without snapping it). The big Achilles heel with this kit is the tail, which is very undersized, just compare it to any plans or to the Airfix mk I Hurricane kit. That said if it's not displayed next to another Hurricane it's not to noticable. Bit strange really as there is a mk IIc Hurricane about a mile down the road on display from the Hornby head office which the Airfix team measured. The markings this aircraft wears are actually one of the options in the Airfix kit!

PMM

T2B

1076 posts

Thanks for the heads up PPM. I wasnt aware of the undersized tail but have a couple of new tool Mk.Is in my stash so will compare them, though not sure if I'll be able to remedy the issue?? 

Actually the whole kit feels chunky compared to the old tool Hurricanes which I'm now selling several off on evil bay to make room on my shelves for more new builds! Or maybe it's just that I've just finished the smaller Bf109!

On my next post I was going to post a picture showing the thickness of the fuselage walls, which are substantial. Think maybe it's just another product of rushed development to get some new tool kits onto the market as it was released only a couple of years after the Hornby takeover?

T2B

1076 posts

Progress over the weekend, not much but working shifts does get in the way ha!

As per the above post discussion this photo shows the thickness of the fuselage walls especially where the surfaces meet. But otherwise  the fit seems good so shouldn't be an issue?

I then concentrated on getting the fuselage halves joined together so completed the Prop and Spinner assembly. The cockpit detail is built on the lower wing assembly and fits into place from the bottom so its not essential that the pilot and cockpit is finished at this stage.

I have sprayed the front of the fuselage aswell before fitting the spinner so that it can be masked up and therefore avoid spraying the spinner and the join area when the dark green and darth earth are applied to the rest of the aircraft. I don't know if anyone else uses this method but I used to do it when hand brushing and found it works quite well now I've moved onto airbrushing. I used it on my recent Spitfire collection!

And as per the earlier discussion I did check the tail against a Mk.I in my stash and it is smaller by about 2 or 3mm but not alot I can do about it. But as pointed out by PMM, unless placed dircetly against each other it shouldn't be too noticable. But I did add the missing ariel post to the top of the rudder!

Hopefully I'll get some painting done today?   

Paul Brown

787 posts

Community Moderator

@T2B

Actually the whole kit feels chunky compared to the old tool Hurricanes 

I have a theory about some of these early Hornby tooled kits. Take a look at the Corgi die cast Mk IIs and you'll find they look very similar - very clunky, did they use common data? There are a number of grockles with this Hurricane, as well as the tail previously mentioned tail. The fuselage line from cockpit to fin is continuous, whereas as it should flatten out a bit toward the tail. The fuselage is a bit fat around the cockpit, making the canopy a touch wide at the base. The prop diameter is noticeably under size. The cannons are odd, the springs look like donuts. Regardless, I've still ended up with several of these kits including the Club Edition MkIID and Operation Torch set. The former has the cannon tooled by 3D Kits (now defunct, sadly), the latter has a separately tooled machine gun wing and arrestor hook. I thought they might issue the Sea Hurricane as a stand alone kit, but it has never appeared. 

T2B

1076 posts

I must confess that I'm not aware of all the deficiencies in the airframe and as whole unless it's glaringly obvious or plainly looks wrong I can live with the kit. I also have another kit in my stash which I was intending to build as the Sea Hurricane variant.

What I would really like is for Airfix to do a new tool of the Mk.IIb with the metal wing and up to 12 x .303 Brownings. This would allow Hurribomber variants including the Mk.IId with the 40mm Vickers Cannon and even the Mk.IV RP!

Paul Brown

787 posts

Community Moderator

@T2B

What I would really like is for Airfix to do a new tool of the Mk.IIb with the metal wing and up to 12 x .303 Brownings. This would allow Hurribomber variants including the Mk.IId with the 40mm Vickers Cannon and even the Mk.IV RP!

They already did the twelve gun wing, it's what you get in the Operation Torch set. Also the 40mm cannon come in the Club Edition Mk IId, they are the 3D Kits parts I referred to. 3D Kits used to sell the guns in their own range of accessories, but the company folded. If you want a Mk IV I would suggest the AZ kit

T2B

1076 posts

Thanks for the info Paul. I take it they included new wings in the Operation Torch kit for the Mk.IIb? And thought I knew most Airfix kits but wasn't aware of the Club Edition Mk.IId? Think I will have to try and research these kits and find a link for the instruction sheets before I jump in and add them to my stash for future builds

Ratch

2640 posts

Community Moderator

Find them all here https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/kits-index-f71/

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/index.php

Paul Brown

787 posts

Community Moderator

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product