S1:72nd Scale Vickers Wellington Mk.IC

T2B

730 posts

Like many others out there I recieved my Vickers Wellington new tool kit on Pre-Order and started it straight away, but James started his build post first so initially I wasn't going to do a post as I didn't want to compete for views and comments. However it would appear our aircraft are on different flight paths so here is my work so far.

I'm doing aircraft AA-R from No.75 Sqn (NZ) RAF from the box artwork. I started on the wings as at the beginning of the build I wasn't sure how I was going to paint the fuselage interior.

The main wings went together quickly (as my aircraft will be in flight so the under-carriage parts/construction wasn't required) and no photo's at this stage, and were soon ready for the paint booth. Next up were the engine parts and some detail painting.

The engines were assembled ready to be married to the wings.

The wings are complete apart from decaling and can be put aside while I now concentrate on the fuselage construction!

So far all parts fit have been perfect, hopefully it will continue!

Ratch

2159 posts

Community Moderator

Neat work

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum

james_mower

477 posts

Mines waiting to be re-raised from Loch Ness ATM.

T2B

730 posts

@james_mower

So you'll be doing the exposed geodetric frame work like you tried to persuade me to do lol?                                   

T2B

730 posts

@Ratch

Neat work

Thanks Ratch.

And for anyone out there with more technical knowledge than I, what is the single pipe on each of the lower wings just outside of the engine nacelles?

Paul Brown

597 posts

Community Moderator

@T2B

And for anyone out there with more technical knowledge than I, what is the single pipe on each of the lower wings just outside of the engine nacelles?

Emergency fuel dump pipes.

T2B

730 posts

Ah thanks Paul, makes sense now

james_mower

477 posts

@T2B

So you'll be doing the exposed geodetric frame work like you tried to persuade me to do lol?                                   

No I won't be, but look at the picture of the one your doing (the box art) you need some exposed frame work along with flames and a crewmember on the wing...

I put mine to oneside, as I needed to do something else (with no missing/malformed parts) to get my Airfix Modelling Mojo back - thank the modelling gods for the gem that is the Eindecker Cool

T2B

730 posts

Yeah I had noticed the box artwork, but a search of the internet shows all RAF flight crew (WW2 era wearing a VC) in wing crawling positions are sold out!! Somebody else must be already planning that, can't life be so unjust lol?

T2B

730 posts

NO NO NO I thought I'd put that to bed, and sorry I no nothing about 3D scanning!!!

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product