S1/76 Crusader

Ratch

1979 posts

Community Moderator

I repainted the intakes and I decided to use the kit tracks and firstly airbrushed them with Gun Metal followed by Sandy Brown. Over this I applied an umber wash.

I decided it may be best to fix the tracks onto the wheels using a thick cyanoacrylate. Tweezers were inserted between the mud guards and the tracks to hold them against the wheels as the glue set.

The model was mounted on a wooden plinth, upon which I spread a mix of Plaster of Paris, water, umber poster paint and earth scatter. This was roughed up and rough grass added in patches.

I have some tidying up to do. I'd like a second opinion on the black and yellow stripes that I had noted and whether tactical marking were likely, so not quite finished.

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum

Ratch

1979 posts

Community Moderator

@Patrick Camilleri

I've seen posts by Sgt Squarehead around .... ATF perhaps?

That's right Patrick, he a Mod, and Britmodeller

dabhand

82 posts

Nicely finished.  Always considered this kit to be a good one.  Went well with the Matilda I thought.  And the 1/32nd scale Airfix kit is very nice too.  

I like the 'new mould' emphasis employed by Airfix, but there are still some cracking kits out there from earlier times.

Ratch

1979 posts

Community Moderator

Cheers. Put the final matt coat on yesterday.

ntrocket88

82 posts

Brilliant! A great how-to guide and an excellent result.

I wonder if using the new Cromwell wheels and tracks would allow the hull length to be shortened to scale. Not sure where would be best to make the cuts across the hull though. That would also solve the tracks problem.

Ratch

1979 posts

Community Moderator

Thank-you Neil, that's most kind of you. Interesting idea with the Cromwell tracks!

m2 browning

76 posts

that look epic

gimme a airfix and all the paints and other stuff to do it with and I'll do it.

Ratch

1979 posts

Community Moderator

Thank you

dabhand

82 posts

Crusader; good kit, well made. 

Interesting about the rusting/non-rusting air intakes.  I bet that any crew/unit that let them go rusty would have caught a reprimand from somewhere!  Hence, my assumption would be 'kept in good order' and not rusted/otherwise corroded.

Ratch

1979 posts

Community Moderator

Cheers Laughing

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product