S1:76th Scale Forward Command Post

T2B

486 posts

I have done 2 other dioramas in the past couple of years but I do normally concentrate on 1:72nd scale aircraft from WW2 era and RAF Cold War Jets.

However this is for a Model Club build and the theme is 'German Armour', in any scale and from any era. But seeing as my main interest is WW2, I'm going to be doing a German tank from 1944 and hopefully the diorama will being it to life. Sadly I wont be able to do a build post on this forum of the tank as its not an Airfix kit, but hopefully I'll be able to include it in my finished photo.

I started by digging my Airfix Forward Command Post from my stash.

Although its a Humbrol box release the kit is stamped with Airfix Products 1975, and in the first release you were provided with a vacform base as part of the kit. This was deleted from the kit at about the time Humbrol took over and even in the most recent Hornby release you only get the building and accessories, no base!

So I had delved into the aftermarket for the base when I bought the Command Post a few years ago so this was also in my stash!

I have used these before (for my North African Outpost) and they are a pretty good replica so I'm assumimg that they must be licenced copies? Anyway I'll start by painting the base and trying to pick out the detail ........ ?

John Symmons

726 posts

Hi T2B.

This shold be an interesting build. Looking forwards to seeing and reading more. Pity this kit's no longer available as these old Airfix diorama bases were always usefull, and I'm sure they'd still sell.

Rember we do this for fun                        John the Pom

T2B

486 posts

Yes it could be very interesting, or a disaster lol. I've done a couple of dioramas before which were ok but its daunting when you see some of the professional builds others do. But part of the Model Club builds (every 3 months) is to push you out of your comfort  zone and try new things ??

But on with the build .....

The building parts were painted on the sprues as were some of the field accessory parts.

And I was able to press on with the vacform base. The colours are Humbrol enamels and all brush painted so I had to leave it for a couple of hours in a warm dry place between colours/coats. Once I was happy with the colours, although some of the detail of the rubble etc is a little bulky and vague, a coat of Klear was sprayed on then a dirty wash was applied to highlight certain areas. It'll be given a Matt varnish later when the building and some more detail is added.

Placed next to the Box artwork for comparison.

T2B

486 posts

In between doing my aircraft I have got most of the building fram completed....

The building is only placed on the base at the moment and won't be cememted until all the accessories are ready in case I need to remove it for easier access.

Even the inside of the building is well detailed so I have continued the theme of trying to make it look battle scared!

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product