COVID-19 UPDATE: Our web shop currently remains open to customers. We are constantly reviewing this in light of government advice and in discussion with our fulfilment partners. However, delays in local delivery may occur which are outside of our control - we apologise in advance for this.

S1950 model

My Dad turns 70 later this year. I would love to get him a kit that came out in 1950, or either a ship or plane that went into service in the year. Any thoughts or ideas most welome please. Thank you in advanc.

ATMQ - 1950 predates the earliest Airfix plastic model airplane kits (was 1955) and an actual kit from 1950 would be rare indeed. Their quality was very poor as compared to current kits.

Your best approach is likely to pruchase a kit of an airplane that was in service in 1950 or had its first flight in 1950. 

Some examples of Airfix Kits of aircraft in service in 1950 would be the Hawker SeaFury, dehaviland Vampire, Gloster Meteor F.8, f-86 Sabre, Mig 15, F-51 Mustang 

Some examples of Airfix Kits of aircraft whose first flight was in 1950 .... Dehaviland Heron, Mig 17

Dad Paul B

476 posts

Airfix didn't start producing kits until the mid 1950s so models would mostly have been scratch built or made of wood or die cast metal, model railway models would be the main subject. Also manufacturing was less refined than now. There is also the collectors issue which means anything this old, especially if never opened and built.

As to what came out in the 1950s, looking at the current Airfix catalogue the Gloster Meteor FR9 and F8 and Avro Shackleton MR1 (but not he AEW2 which is currently in the catalogue so you would need to find the earlier release) hit the 1950 date.

Near misses include the North American Sabre and MiG-15 which both debuted in 1949. The MiG 15 hasn't been rereleased but should be possible to find. The Jet Provost and Vampire T.11 are a little later.

Other manufacturers will almost certainly have other subjects which hit the date but I don't have the reference material to offer suggestions but you would be looking at the early jet era for aircraft of which there should be plenty of subjects, especially for US aircraft. I can't offer any advice on ships.

Paul - Classic Jet Fan

Exceptional advice, thank you both so much. I love the knowledge on the kits, or lack of them, in the 50s. Also the background on the history of planes at the time has saved many hours of research. 

I have justbought the Mig 17 - it will be an excellent gift from his granddaughters.

Thank you again 

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

This site uses cookies to provide users with the best experience possible, to find out more about them or how to remove cookies from your browser please view our Privacy Policy Or accept cookies to continue to use the website.
Membership Restricted Product