A Slightly Smaller Build - 1/48th Scale Boulton Paul Defiant NF.I

Toboldlygo

And now for something slightly smaller and in a case of deja vu for me, as just 2 years ago I built the Defiant's 1/72nd scale cousin.

A couple of hours work (with some of the Eduard etches - I'm not using all of them), and the interior is ready for paint. As per usual I've used the fuselage halves as a jig to ensure the cockpit went together true.

/media/tinymce_upload/3c48073df148438df19d687d03e16dd5.jpg

More to come, however work and loco's will get in the way.

Yeah, I do that with cabin interiors (and wing spars when applicable) too.

It makes any aircraft kit go together, far more easily  😉

Some progress has been made - these 'Made in the UK' kits seem go together far better than some of their 'Made elsewhere' sisters...

The Eduard photo-etches are worth the investment - the main instrument panel is a minor work of art. I didn't add etches that weren't visible or the safety belts.

/media/tinymce_upload/1fde318876b5e2430b700587876e66af.jpg

I do think Airfix missed out making this kit extra special by not adding the engine, judging by how much effort went into the rest of the kit.

/media/tinymce_upload/321a72de593ca5f3199f0db9993ac00e.jpg

As I type this, the two fuselage sides are glued together (and curing) and the wings are assembled....

.... more photo's to come today (hopefully)

Hi James

Enjoying your builds and after the Shack Whitley & B17 to say nothing of your 25th scale Typhoon, this must seem tiny. 

One thing you might like to try is using painted decal paper cut into thin strips for the canopy & turret framing. I've just been trying that method on some old Airfix Ju 87's and it works a treat. I'll do a posting on it soon. It beats masking out the Ju 87's very complecated canopies, and when I've got four to do I felt there must be another method. In 72nd scale the strips have to be very fine, but 48th scale should be more managable, and using a setting solution they do sit down on compound curves.

Remember we do this for fun                          John the Pom 

• 2 weeks later...

After a small break, the Defiant is back on the workbench (for the time being at least)

/media/tinymce_upload/3d29d07ccff73004ed9f7f5d1e8d28dd.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/da1a98752a18cfab119116f083548c74.jpg

In a first for me, I decided to get the turret finished first (it is after all a major part of this build). Many thanks to Eduard for the superb etches and masks...

/media/tinymce_upload/d2a959a53801ed60d00d52e332527afc.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/8ace8fb54987c871213251102e569c7c.jpg

Making sure the turret fits...

No Tim, you can buy plain sheets of decal film that you can then print or paint on (in this instance), and cut into strips of a suitable thickness to apply to the canopy. Of course, if you have a steady hand and a thin brush (or a ruling pen) that's effective too.

Thanks Ratch you've save my replying.  I'll be posting soon explaining how I did the Ju 87 canopies.

Remember we do this for fun                                         John the Pom

Renaming/renumbering model trains for a living, I know that plain black decals are available to put over existing numbers (for those who don't know or aren't sure how to remove them) on locos/rolling stock - these patches are ideal to cut up for cockpit canopy lining.

I used the Eduard Zoom masking set, to do the Defiant's turret and will use the rest of the masking now I've got the hang of it.

In the mean time - some progress has been made, now that this years loco commissions are finished...

/media/tinymce_upload/6e161b83df7dc89dc04c97aac2e8d70c.jpg

Masked and ready for paint - though as I type she's already starting to look good in black  😉

No Tim, you can buy plain sheets of decal film that you can then print or paint on (in this instance), and cut into strips of a suitable thickness to apply to the canopy. Of course, if you have a steady hand and a thin brush (or a ruling pen) that's effective too.

Ah thanks Ratch. Apologies for the delayed response...I've only just seen your reply.

Progress from yesterday, undercarriage, prop and various probes & ariels fitted.

/media/tinymce_upload/de329134037e95677f51bdfc46d2451a.jpg

More to follow...

... as promised, today's progress. Undercarriage doors, navigation marker lights and turret & fairing fitted

/media/tinymce_upload/b659261d0b7b5f6d4242b676ee92a0d4.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/1890e484fa96943c5b3dae8d40e1a710.jpg

Canopy parts are all painted, just need to let the paint to cure before removed the Eduard Masking set.

You are spoilt for choice for your next big build ??

I certainly am - though it won't be black or silver or white for that matter...

Decals still drying, the Defiant sits on my next project...

/media/tinymce_upload/60bac5ccbfe0bb7e221aad46fb4c0a96.jpg

All done...

/media/tinymce_upload/dc7a3f014d16e981ddc3ec833be86afc.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/be5479b509b469059180218275c96020.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/54b3e2f6696cc9f9b247489338ea4924.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/49c51c98114e98f8368bc5ff004e39b2.jpg

Big brother got word that his little brother was being bullied...

/media/tinymce_upload/9d9e90b5d348e34b3b3d5cee52da7f24.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/f58e7cbd51ebca6da85032b30f861d17.jpg

Him James.

A nice interesting and informative posting and sure to be a reference for other modellers

A great build and the model looks great, nice touch that of putting the smaller scale next to the new one.

Looking forwards toyour next bigger build.

Remember we do this for fun                                   John the Pom

Him James.

A nice interesting and informative posting and sure to be a reference for other modellers

A great build and the model looks great, nice touch that of putting the smaller scale next to the new one.

Looking forwards toyour next bigger build.

Remember we do this for fun                                   John the Pom

Just need Airfix to take the hint and produce the Defiant in 1/24th Scale  😉

Archived