SA010008- Airfix Messerschmitt BF 109E - 1/72

Hello everyone,

Here is my submission for this month, this is the excellent Airfix Messerschmitt Bf 109E (A010008) . It is finished in the markings and scheme of the Luftwaffe ace Hauptmann Helmut Wick of JG 2 (Richthofen).

Like nearly all of my kits, this has taken approximately a month to do, I started on 21 October 2017 and have managed an hour or two here and there. It was an almost trouble free kit to build, apart from the rear tailplane pylon that snapped and that some of the pieces were very close to the sprues and had to be carefully removed. Paints were a combination of Xtracolor, Alclad and Humbrol enamel, built basically OOB except that the decals were from Techmod.  

Again a little bit of silvering refused to leave, but it's getting better I think!. The wash is Flory Models Dark Dirt, Gloss coate was Alclad Aqua Gloss and Flat was Xtracrlix.

This will be my last submission on the Forum for a while as Im doing the Tamiya FW190-D9 for another forum Group Build. But over Christmas I think I may make a start on the Airfix Junkers 87 for my Battle of Britain collection.

Thanks for letting me share.

Best Regards Mark

John Symmons

629 posts

Hi aeroplanegripper.

Very nice clean build. I did this kit earlier this year and did a post call Me 109 shoot-out where I compared the Airfix kit with the academy and an old Heller one. Unfortunately the photos for that posting have gone AWOL since photo-bucket change the operations. Guess which can out tops? I know what you mean about some parts being awkward to seperate from the sprue, did you manage to get the antenia of without breaking it?

Seeing as the original pic have gone missing here's three of my build.

Thanks for your posting and keep them comming, once a month is fine.

Remember we do this for fun                             John the Pom

@John Symmons

I know what you mean about some parts being awkward to seperate from the sprue, did you manage to get the antenia of without breaking it?

Hi John,

Thank you for your kind comments mate, in answer to your question no the antenna didnt survive Im afraid, the one I used was a spare, of a P-47 I think!

Best Regards Mark

elkhart

17 posts

Mark, nice build! What did you use for the arieal wire?

@elkhart

Mark, nice build! What did you use for the arieal wire?

Hello mate, thanks very much. Its E-Z line, which Ive had for ages now. Slightly elasticated so stretches very well and a little spool can last for ages. Im still getting to grips with it but am enjoying using it.

Best Regards Mark

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product