A010008- Airfix Messerschmitt BF 109E - 1/72

aeroplanegripper

Hello everyone,

Here is my submission for this month, this is the excellent Airfix Messerschmitt Bf 109E (A010008) . It is finished in the markings and scheme of the Luftwaffe ace Hauptmann Helmut Wick of JG 2 (Richthofen).

IMG_2811.jpg

Like nearly all of my kits, this has taken approximately a month to do, I started on 21 October 2017 and have managed an hour or two here and there. It was an almost trouble free kit to build, apart from the rear tailplane pylon that snapped and that some of the pieces were very close to the sprues and had to be carefully removed. Paints were a combination of Xtracolor, Alclad and Humbrol enamel, built basically OOB except that the decals were from Techmod.  

IMG_2812.jpg

Again a little bit of silvering refused to leave, but it's getting better I think!. The wash is Flory Models Dark Dirt, Gloss coate was Alclad Aqua Gloss and Flat was Xtracrlix.

IMG_2813.jpg

This will be my last submission on the Forum for a while as Im doing the Tamiya FW190-D9 for another forum Group Build. But over Christmas I think I may make a start on the Airfix Junkers 87 for my Battle of Britain collection.

IMG_2814.jpg

Thanks for letting me share.

Hi aeroplanegripper.

Very nice clean build. I did this kit earlier this year and did a post call Me 109 shoot-out where I compared the Airfix kit with the academy and an old Heller one. Unfortunately the photos for that posting have gone AWOL since photo-bucket change the operations. Guess which can out tops? I know what you mean about some parts being awkward to seperate from the sprue, did you manage to get the antenia of without breaking it?

Seeing as the original pic have gone missing here's three of my build.

/media/tinymce_upload/b43a43f17430843c9493fdafe2cd28e2.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/a091801b1ec87b013df330a4ef25bcea.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/43f5f36da18708605eef443d87ac4316.JPG

Thanks for your posting and keep them comming, once a month is fine.

Remember we do this for fun                             John the Pom

• 2 weeks later...

Great work!!, and I will build the same one later. How do you make the tiny gren dot camouflage on the both side?

This is normally called "mottle camouflage" in English. There are 2 main techniques for doing it, but they both need practice. Now go and look at period photos of Luftwaffe aircraft to get a good idea what the paint looks like on an aircraft (density of the green over the blue base).

1) Airbrush. This needs a double action airbrush, a compressor, thinned paint and practice!

2) Get an old paint brush, about a #2 or #3 size pointed brush, and cut the bristles down to about 6mm (1/4 inch) long. Pick up a little paint on the bristles, rub most of it back off on a piece of absorbent paper or an old cloth, then make a dot or 2 on a test piece (old kit, or a spare styrene plastic toy, old safety razor handle...), and keep doing that until you're reasonably happy with the effect.

Archived