SA03091 nice addition to range I look forward to Mig-17

Tweezers

111 posts

I'm delighted a Mig-17 is in the pipe line.

Thought at that price and to compete with Eastern European kits, Might Airfix have a choice of noses for a PF varient and, or underwing rockets for an Egyptian one?

T2B

1008 posts

Not an expert on the MIG 17, or any other Soviet aircraft for that matter but an interesting subject and I will be getting 1 in the fullness of time! And if possible I'm sure Airfix will add the other variants you require later!!!

dabhand

111 posts

Yes, a MiG 17 is something to look forward to.  What about a MiG 19 for the future.....

Dad Paul B

382 posts

I am looking forward to the 17, but my favourite was always the 21 Fishbed.

Paul - Classic Jet Fan

John Symmons

957 posts

Not an expert on the MIG 17, or any other Soviet aircraft for that matter but an interesting subject and I will be getting 1 in the fullness of time! And if possible I'm sure Airfix will add the other variants you require later!!!

Maybe if we ask very very nicely Airfix could do the other 3 cold war Migs the 15, 19 and the 21. Now that would be really something, and think of all the variants not to mention the marking options. That way every one wins.

Remember we to this for fun               John the Pom

Paws4thot

1175 posts

@John Symmons

Maybe if we ask very very nicely Airfix could do the other 3 cold war Migs the 15, 19 and the 21. Now that would be really something, and think of all the variants not to mention the marking options. That way every one wins.

Remember we to this for fun               John the Pom

ISTR Airfix having done a recent MiG-15. Also, what harm did the MiG-23/27 and MiG-25 do to you?

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

John Symmons

957 posts

Hi Paws.

None it's just those Migs were the USSR's mainstay in the cold war era, which seems that that's the era Airfix is covering with their recent jet releases, Maybe we'll even get a re-release of the Illyshin IL-28 and maybe add the Sukhoi Fishpot and Su 7b Fitter for good measure.  (Actually I'm just throwing pebbles in the pond.)

As it is I don't make modern jets or any jets for that matter, but I must admit I'm tempted by those early jet aircraft and often picked up a F100 or Voodoo or Scorpion etc as these have some very interesting shapes only to put them back. But I think I'll stick with my WW2 German, Italian, Japanese and French aircraft of the 1938 to 1946 era as that really gives me enough to be going on with. Still hoping the Me 262 makes it to SA in the near future.

Remember we do this for fun                                 John the Pom

PS: - Plus many WW1 & tween war aircraft, various soft skinned millitary 1/72 kits and , artillary pieces, plus various 350 & 600 scale WW2 warships.                                              JtP 

Paul Brown

759 posts

Community Moderator

@Paws4thot

ISTR Airfix having done a recent MiG-15. 

From a build point of view it's a hoot, but as a scale replica falls some way short of the mark. It's an early Hornby era product and it shows, they've moved on leaps and bounds since then. Any new MiGs are welcome now, in my book. The 23/27 would be especially welcome, the old kits were never that great.

Paws4thot

1175 posts

Er John,  the MiG-23/27 and MiG-25 are "Cold War aircraft".

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

LeonF

69 posts

@Paws4thot

Er John,  the MiG-23/27 and MiG-25 are "Cold War aircraft".

And so are the MiG-29 (first flight 1977) and MiG-31 (first flight 1975).

Don't forget there are other Soviet/Russian/Ukrainian design companies too - Ilyushin, Yakovlev, Antonov, Sukhoi (and smaller, often defunct names) - with types that have also been neglected over the years. 

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product