SAchtung! A Slightly Smaller Build - A RAF Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3

james_mower

508 posts

The Collector's Club Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3/E-7 in 1/48th Scale, it's been sitting in my stash for a while and made a couple of cameo's in previous builds and having been put back in the stash on several occasions - most notably after the Sea Fury and the kit (now completed) that the box was sitting under.

I decide when I got the kit that I'd do the RAF version (E-3) as captured aircraft in Allied or Axis powers is always an interesting topic of conversation. I decided to acquire the Eduard Zoom Photo Etched kit to enhance the cockpit.

Anyhow on to the build. The cockpit went together easily enough, with the level of detail in the moldings themselves, I chose to only use the photo-etches for the main instument panel.

The fuselage fitted together nicely, once the peg holes where opened up slightly, a nice touch adding the engine.

Wings went together easily and the engine cowling didn't need any fettling (I'll fit the guns after painting)

Wings and underside of the nose fitted nicely, just some minor filling needed here.

Tail planes and the flaps fitted, some filling will is needed to the leading edge flaps.

Ailerons needed slight trimming to fit.

With the rudder, elevators and cannon ports fitted, all the filling was done and the plane was washed prior to paint.

After 4 coats of yellow the underside is painted, the paint needs at least 48 hours to dry before I can mask up for the top coat, I may well paint the wheel wells etc, before masking.

Until next time..

I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was some ###### bringing me another loco!!

T2B

849 posts

Glad to see your back after your sabbatical.

I remember you saying you were going to do this kit before the Sea Fury jumped the queue onto your work bench but thought it was the Japanese version you were going to do. 

But never mind, not my scale but an interesting topic so will follow your build as usual!

james_mower

508 posts

@T2B

Glad to see your back after your sabbatical.

I remember you saying you were going to do this kit before the Sea Fury jumped the queue onto your work bench but thought it was the Japanese version you were going to do. 

But never mind, not my scale but an interesting topic so will follow your build as usual!

No she was always going to the RAF BF 109E-3, you've got me confused with the other gent who did the Japanese version

As for taking a sabbatical (only because Admin needs to sort things out)

I'll have you know I've built several 'planes' in the meantimeCool

Wellington (Castle Class)..

Spitfire (Castle Class)

And Fairey Battle (Castle Class)

And the plane that must not be named Tongue Out

I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was some ###### bringing me another loco!!

T2B

849 posts

Ah yes say no more!!

Paws4thot

1034 posts

And the plane that must not be named - GWR called a Castle "TSR 2"? Cool

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

james_mower

508 posts

@Paws4thot

And the plane that must not be named - GWR called a Castle "TSR 2"? Cool

You got 1 letter right Wink

james_mower

508 posts

Loco commissions are currently keeping me from the 109, however I want to give you the chance to help me choose the next 1/24th Scale Build* - there now are 4 Airfix contenders:

1. De Havilland Mosquito
  2. Focke Wolf FW190
  3. Hawker Hurricane
  4. Junkers JU-87 Stuka

*It may or may not be my next build after I finish the 109...

T2B

849 posts

Well seeing as we have a choice I would plum for the Junkers Ju87 as I have heard good reports on that kit. Also space and financial limitations pushed me to sell my kit recently so if you did yours I would see what I was missing lol! Second choice would be the Fw190 ........

I await your decision ☺

james_mower

508 posts

@T2B

Well seeing as we have a choice I would plum for the Junkers Ju87 as I have heard good reports on that kit. Also space and financial limitations pushed me to sell my kit recently so if you did yours I would see what I was missing lol! Second choice would be the Fw190 ........

I await your decision ☺

I've heard many good things about the Stuka, plus I can get some aftermarket enhancements for it Wink

Then again I've seen both kit's (Ju87 and Fw190) built up in the flesh, along with the Mosquito...

..and the Hurricane Mk.1 is a far superior kit to the Spitfire VB - the Hurry was built very locally to me and I like building Kingston built aircraft...

T2B

849 posts

Well I think you have just answered your own question there

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product