Sairfix 1/48 blenheim problems

This thread has been locked and can no longer be posted to.

@Ratch

What a brilliant marketing strategy! They should put out every kit with the wrong parts to make us punters buy another kit to (hopefully) get the parts we want,

well can you explain why they wouldnt have included the panel as clear? 

Paul Brown

693 posts

Community Moderator

Yes, it's called an honest mistake.

T2B

899 posts

I probably encouraged this thread by asking questions of hawkerhurricaneguy about the frosted part but I don't like the current undertone that it was deliberate ploy by Airfix to encourage sales of a later version that we only assume will appear. 

If the part is wrong then I'm certain it's merely an honest research or production error. And if I have to learn a new skill in polishing a frosted glazed part once I get the kit, then I will try it in due course!

@T2B

I probably encouraged this thread by asking questions of hawkerhurricaneguy about the frosted part but I don't like the current undertone that it was deliberate ploy by Airfix to encourage sales of a later version that we only assume will appear. 

If the part is wrong then I'm certain it's merely an honest research or production error. And if I have to learn a new skill in polishing a frosted glazed part once I get the kit, then I will try it in due course!

I'm sorry but when i send a email to airfix highlighting the issue and the response I get back is the part is meant to be frosted I doubt it is a production error or mistake; despite all the photos and their own box and paint scheme they say the panel is meant to be misted. According to Airfix themselves there is nothing wrong with the peice 

T2B

899 posts

In all honesty I can't imagine any model company let alone Airfix (and yes I'm biased cos I am an Airfix fan) deliberately putting incorrect parts in a kit to encourage sales in a later product. 

Paws4thot

1064 posts

Well, in the advert for this kit, the "black and white underside scheme" shows the white covering the port side of what would otherwise be the bomb aiming window. The starboard side can't be seen in the relevant illustration.

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

LeonF

31 posts

There's several photos that clearly show the port side was often over painted, but the angle of the glazing often doesn't show the starboard  

A couple more pictures do allow you to see both and have the painted port window and clear starboard side. 

What I've not come across anywhere yet is a picture that definitively shows both port & starboard underside nose windows painted. 

I suspect Airfix have designed it clear as would be expected, and then looked at the majority of pictures that show the port side only and made the incorrect assumption that if one is painted or covered then both would be, and tweaked the fighter version mould accordingly.

Yes it's a fairly easy fix, if you have fine polishing tools at hand (and not everyone will have), but it's a very easily avoided error on Airfix's part as they could so easily have just left it clear and told you to paint it anyway. 

Paws4thot

1064 posts

Leon, I agree with you; the frosted "glass" doesn't add anything when painting anyway.

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

@T2B

names have been removed 

VMA131Marine

208 posts

@Hawkerhurricaneguy

Both paint schemes in the new airfix kit have this panel painted over: black in the case of the nightfighter, and white in the case of the day fighter scheme. I would assume that the frosting is therefore intentional as that section of the part is meant to be painted. Presumably, the later bomber releases will have a different part for this area. If you really want to make that area clear, then it is easy enough to polish it up with successively fine grades of polishing pads (start with 1500 grit and go in steps to 12000 grit) then apply a coat of clear gloss.

Im not sure what Paint schemes you are looking at but the bottom panel which is clear on the real aircraft isnt painted over in either scheme, both digitally and on the print versions which i do have.

both of these views are from the pilot side. the only difference between the online and physical copies are a few more panels painted over but not the panel which i have drawn attention too; this has remained clear in both versions and is clear on the box art. I know it is a little hard to tell due to the underside being painted black but it is clear and you can just make out some of internals through it 

I was looking at the built example of the day fighter in the product listing. That panel is clearly painted over.

Here's a picture of a dayfighter IF with the panel painted over:

Arte et Labore

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product