SAirfix 1/72 Fairey Battle I

Another old build found in the loft. The problems with this kit are many and have been discussed at length elsewhere, so I won't go over them here again, just to say the shape isn't brilliant.

I don't recall to many issues actually building it. The oversized rivets suffered on the wings somewhat during sanding down and I should have removed them altogether, but didn't. The open bomb doors should have been replaced with thinner plastic card, and I've painted the bombs completely the wrong colour for a Battle of France period, they should be tan and not green, with green and red rings not yellow.

Really this kit needs retooling, hopefully it's on Airfix's list to do in the future.

Fairey Battle B.I, 12 Squadron RAF, Northern France, May 1940.

Dark Earth

35 posts

Nicely done !    From this distance the rivets look subdued, but not invisible.  Perfect !

Chris

T2B

1058 posts

You had done a good job with the venerable old kit. I did the Battle about 2 years which was my first attempt at airbrushing and I also tried to rectify 1 or 2 of the errors in the mould. 

It was a decent build but definitely of its time from the late 60's, and certainly would benefit from Airfix's new tool treatment. And I'm sure it would sell extremely well!!

Dear All,

This kit sadly fits into the case of being in serious need of overhaul given its age. Some have been updated in recent years by Airfix such as the Defiant, Lanc, Hurricane, Beaufighter and B17 etc..but many, many still await similar treatment. I could wax lyrical about the other types such as the B24 Liberator, B29, F4U Corsair, P47 Thunderbolt, Mosquito and ANY Italian WW2 aircraft but sadly we have to look elsewhere for these even if this is against the spirit of the forum and quite pricey!

Sadly Airfix seem intent on producing kits that seem to be of limited appeal, such as the Swift or the newly announced 24th scale Hellcat instead of filling some very obvious and lucrative gaps in both 72nd and 48th scale market.

Kind Regards

Colin.

Ratch

2616 posts

Community Moderator

Well Colin, we can't have everything we'd like all in one go or there'd be nothing to look forward to.

The Swift was one of those kits that modellers clamoured for, and Airfix took a punt. The Hellcat superkit has been widely acclaimed (especially over the pond) and is expected to be a certain banker.

I always find it odd that, in a hobby where patience is a virtue, modellers have very little patience waiting for their pet subject to be kitted. Still, I suppose its a way of promoting our wants.

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/index.php

Fair point well made.

I just find it odd that such well known and hardly esoteric subjects are being neglected by all major kit manufacturers at the moment such as the B24 (my pet love at the moment), Corsair, Thunderbolt, B29 (Enola Gay and/or Bockscar atomic bomb carriers) and both Italian and French WW2 aircraft in 72nd and 48th  scale. I'm no marketing expert and I'm sure Airfix and others are doing their stuff to maximise their considerable investments in new subjects and moulds but these gaps seem rather wide and a bit of an open goal.

Due to my early years I always look to Airfix for my kits, especially  since Frog disappeared many years ago, so perhaps I'm being a wee bit unfair but some of these kits are only available from Japanese/far east companies on the second hand market at very high prices so a bit frustrating. By the way I do have the Swift which is a lovely kit but in preference would have loved to have seen a Hunter, Meteor, Vampire/Venom or up-graded Lightning instead.

No criticism of Airfix is intended as this seems to be an issue across all kit makers and at the end of the day they all have to turn a profit so I will just have to keep my fingers crossed and see what comes.

Kind Regards

Colin.

T2B

1058 posts

@ fishplanebeer

Airfix was always my 'go to kit' when I wanted and still is even after nearly 50 years. I would love Airfix to do new tool releases of every aircraft in my stash but I no thats not feasible even if I lived another 50 years so until I get the yearly new tool kit or 2, I make the most of my kits in my stash.

I had read about the errors in the tooling of the Battle by Airfix, apparently due to Fairey releasing the plans for the prototype Battle for the injection moulding tooling, and not the production aircraft plans. I tried to correct a couple of the errors in my build by lengthening the nose section and enlarging the rudder.

Despite the issues the kit still goes together well! 

Paul Brown

772 posts

Community Moderator

@fishplanebeer

I just find it odd that such well known and hardly esoteric subjects are being neglected by all major kit manufacturers at the moment such as the B24 (my pet love at the moment), Corsair, Thunderbolt, B29 (Enola Gay and/or Bockscar atomic bomb carriers) and both Italian and French WW2 aircraft in 72nd and 48th  scale.

B-24 - Academy, Hasegawa

Corsair (F4U?) - Academy, Tamiya

Thunderbolt - Academy, Tamiya, Hasegawa

B-29 - Academy

For Italian and French subjects, look to Heller and italeri although admittedly some of the kits are getting on. There's also Valom, RS, Sword etc that do French and Italian subjects. 

So hardly neglected, you just have to cast the net around a bit further. 

Tweezers

120 posts

Nice one!

I agree, re tooling please Airfix of this wildly inaccurate kit

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product