SAirfix 1/72 Me 262B-1a/U1 A04062

This kit arrived in the post last week from Hornby, unfortunately the box was a bit squashed but the contents were fine.

On the sprues the parts look very good, with the now usual nicely engraved panel lines, and a well detailed amount of cockpit components. One sprue has been changed out from the earlier single seater, containing new fuselage halves and cockpit tube, and a new clear sprue is supplied.

The Cartograf decals have three options for two different airframes, a German nightfighter, the same aircraft after being captured and tested by the British, and a post war Czech machine. A nice touch is a note on the painting instructions for the Czech machine about the overall colour being the same as buses that were made in the same factory. No Swastikas as usual.

Instructions are the usual pictorial style.

Construction started with the cockpit that looks more like half an oil drum when you start. However all fits in fine and soon I was ready to put the fuselage together tapping the cockpit, and the three bulkheads (one either end and one in the middle of the tube.

Seat straps were Tamyia tape.

The fit of the two halves went well, with only some minor cleaning up to do. Next the wing underside went on followed by the top halves. These had all the control surfaces attached resulting in fine trailing edges, and a small overlap at the front, meaning that hardly any cleanup was needed on the wings. Next up was the tail which also had a good positive fit.

On the underside photo you can see that the underside of the cockpit barrel cleverly makes up the top of the undercarriage bay.

Next up will be the engine pods.

LeonF

70 posts

I could be tempted if I can justify the price rise over the single seaters.

Quick question: Does the kit display the correct differences between the rear cockpits of the Night Fighter and Trainer, as opposed to simply deleting the radar displays and aerials? 

VMA131Marine

225 posts

@LeonF

Quick question: Does the kit display the correct differences between the rear cockpits of the Night Fighter and Trainer, as opposed to simply deleting the radar displays and aerials? 

^What he said!

The trainer has full dual controls, the night fighter does not.

Arte et Labore

LeonF

70 posts

@VMA131Marine

^What he said!

The trainer has full dual controls, the night fighter does not.

Reviews are still very scarce but in the last hour found one on the Airfixtributeforum. 

Studying the instructions it seems the answer is no you cannot make an accurate B-1a/CS-92 trainer only the B-1a/U1 Night Fighter.

I've got a couple of pics and drawings if I decide to go ahead with my plan for a CS-92. Although rear cockpit details aren't exactly commonplace I am slowly building a list of changes.

To be fair though it does appear to make a rather nice Night Fighter and I suspect most will go for that option anyway. 

Hi LeonF, I can confirm that only the Nightfighter rear cockpit is catered for. However, the decals for the instrument panels seem to be much better than previously.

Back to the build, and the engine pods went together well, with some good fan detail included at the front and rear of the engines, though this is hard to see once assembled. The fit of the assembled pods was very tight with the wings, and some minor sanding was required for a better fit. However once on and set, only a little filler was required around the upper front joint.

The only other area to require filler was the lower wing/ fuselage join. The clean up of all the seams was quick due to the good fit. The windscreen was fitted before painting, as a section of the upper nose is included with this part so it can be faired in without damaging the clear section. While I was at it the rest of the canopy was installed in the closed position, though if you want an open option is available, using the same parts.

When all was dry it received a wash in warm soapy water using an old toothbrush to remove grease and dust, and the model left to air dry ready for painting to start.

While I was at it the drop tanks were put together. Be careful not to remove the seam as this is an actual weld seam on the real tank.

The wingtip pitot tube was also attached as it included a section of the actual wingtip. This had broken on the sprue so the wingtip section was attached and the pitot left on the frame to glue on later.

Closeup of how the cockpit tub and inner fuselage walls make up part of the undercarriage bay, the instructions give you the option to paint the bays and door inners in either aluminium, RLM 02 or RLM 66. The filler at the wing/ fuselage join can also be seen.

Next up painting.

I've finished the basic colour scheme of my '262, and as you can see it's quite 'busy', with a RLM 81/82 splinter on the wings and tailplanes, RLM 76, with a 81 mottle on the upper fuselage and fin, and then the undersides and engine pods in black, not forgetting that replacement silver intake cover! All paints were brush painted and are Humbrol acrylics, thinned with Humbrol thinners. I'm not 100% happy with the mottle but it will do.

Canopy frames were hand painted without masking, then neatened with a cocktail stick.

Next up decals.

As usual now with Airfix kits the decals were of a good quality, and went on without silvering. As no tail swastika was provided I raided my spares box and liberated the tail crosses from an old FROG Me262 sheet. Even though they are from the seventies they still went on well without any sign of silvering. I placed all the white stencils on the black underside, as these stood out fine, but all the tiny black stencils on the top surfaces just disappeared into the motel finish, so I didn't bother with most of them. I did place the red dashed walkways around the inner wings, but these also are hardly visible, and if I did another I wouldn't waste my time with them again. The markings were so complete that even the main wheels had two decals each and the nose wheel has four!

Next up were all the small parts and aerials, including undercarriage doors, which are fitted before the actual wheel legs, then a couple of coats of matt varnish. Now the undercarriage. This was the most fiddly and difficult part of the build, the attachment points for the brace parts not being well defined, so they were glued where they touched. The main wheels have separate hubs, but these are very tight and had to be sanded down around the edges, and the wheel attachment to the leg was also tight. In fact the wheels wouldn't go on until I'd used some Tamiya Extra Thin glue to soften the pegs up.

Final tasks where cementing the drop tanks on and painting the wingtip navigation lights, and she was done. Hope you like.

I think maybe that replacement tail cross is a little on the large size? And somehow I managed to place the nose numbers about 5mm to far forward!

I used the kit supplied nose antenna, which is very fine considering it's injection moulded plastic and not etch.

elkhart

49 posts

Turned out very nice! I think the motteling looks good. Thanks for the thorough write up

T2B

1058 posts

It looks good PMM

Was intending to add it to my shopping list and your build prompted me into action so purchased it when I saw it on the shelf at my LMS. Have other builds happening at the moment but after that I think it'll just the queue onto my work bench!?

Thanks for the comments guys.

elkhart, for the mottle I used a old small nylon brush and stippled the paint on, then when it was dry, went over it with a drybrush of the original RLM 76 light blue so it was not to stark.

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product