I now have the fuselage together. First off the full length air intakes need assembly into the fuselage halves, this is straight forward and the joint line is fairly invisible once done. The halves then go together with no problem, on my one I cut the nose off as I want to display my first Phantom all folded up, with the radar out for maintenance.
In this picture the intake trunking can be seen. The spine is a separate insert and the fit was a little loose at first, but after a bit of manipulation and a swipe with some wet and dry the fit was fine and no filler was needed.
A view of the underside, before the centre section plate was fitted. The full intake trunking can be seen as well as the exhaust cans. These were another sloppy fit, and some careful alignment was needed but nothing to difficult.
The wings and the outer intake covers went on next. These intakes were the poorest fit of the kit so far, as can be seen from the pictures, both on the side and top and underneath. Careful lining up and filler soon sorted this out. It does seem to be a common problem with Phantom kits though.
You may have noticed that the splitter plates are already painted 'Barley Grey'. This is because it would be difficult to mask after the outer cover was on, also I'm going to be using a Modeldecal sheet to make a later RAF aircraft, hence the centre section option with the strengthening plates.
It didn't take long before I had something looking like a Phantom. I did say it would be folded up! The wings went together okay, with a very good join at the root. The separate flaps and slats needed very careful placement and adjustment. The tail plane can be positioned level for flight on canted down for takeoff, but is not movable.
In this view slim fin top RWR fairing can be seen.
Just some of the left over parts, including two sets of wing outer panels, flaps, slats, tail fin, and underside centre section, almost enough for another airplane!
More soon when it's ready for paint.