SAirfix 1/72 New Tool Phantom FG.1 Build

Hi Everyone,

Now that I have finished my Fortress build I thought it was time to try one of these new Phantoms. I received two in January and was going to do a double build, but changed my mind and decided to do them one at a time.

The striking box artwork

Some reference and inspirational reading

The all important plastic

Instructions that go to 111 stages, paint guides for three Royal Navy Fighters and decals

On inspection the parts are well moulded with little to no flash, and fine engraved panel lines. There are multiple options, which result in the wing being broken down into many parts and maybe a little over engineered. There are a few error/ omissions that have been pointed out in other places, the worst of these include missing vents around the intake and jet pipes, the fin cap RWR aerial being to slim, and the wing tanks having strakes on both sides instead of only the port side. Even though some others have said that these mistakes are close to hanging offences for Airfix, I'm not that bothered and will be building mostly out of the box without correcting these.

Construction starts with the cockpit and ejection seats. The tube is made up of six parts and another six go into the two seats, which have moulded on strap detail. No aircrew are included, even though in-flight and cat take off options are available.

The cockpit parts, sorry the image has loaded upside down!

The cockpit together but awaiting paint. Notice that the seats have moulded ejection handles.

The painted 'pit and seats. Ten decals represent the various panels.

That's it for now. I'll be back soon when the fuselage is together.

I now have the fuselage together. First off the full length air intakes need assembly into the fuselage halves, this is straight forward and the joint line is fairly invisible once done. The halves then go together with no problem, on my one I cut the nose off as I want to display  my first Phantom all folded up, with the radar out for maintenance.

In this picture the intake trunking can be seen. The spine is a separate insert and the fit was a little loose at first, but after a bit of manipulation and a swipe with some wet and dry the fit was fine and no filler was needed.

A view of the underside, before the centre section plate was fitted. The full intake trunking can be seen as well as the exhaust cans. These were another sloppy fit, and some careful alignment was needed but nothing to difficult.

The wings and the outer intake covers went on next. These intakes were the poorest fit of the kit so far, as can be seen from the pictures, both on the side and top and underneath. Careful lining up and filler soon sorted this out. It does seem to be a common problem with Phantom kits though.

You may have noticed that the splitter plates are already painted 'Barley Grey'. This is because it would be difficult to mask after the outer cover was on, also I'm going to be using a Modeldecal sheet to make a later RAF aircraft, hence the centre section option with the strengthening plates.

It didn't take long before I had something looking like a Phantom. I did say it would be folded up! The wings went together okay, with a very good join at the root. The separate flaps and slats needed very careful placement and adjustment. The tail plane can be positioned level for flight on canted down for takeoff, but is not movable. 

In this view slim fin top RWR fairing can be seen.

Just some of the left over parts, including two sets of wing outer panels, flaps, slats, tail fin, and underside centre section, almost enough for another airplane!

More soon when it's ready for paint.

T2B

769 posts

It looks an excellent kit and I'm sure you'll do it justice so will be following your build. I've got 2 in my stash to build which I got on pre-order but with so many other kits to build I don't know when I'll get round to a Phantom. 

And as you say 1 or 2 minor design errors wouldn't bother me either but if the kit was perfect some people would be redundant, having nothing to complain about! 

But you have confused me a little, maybe do to my lack of knowledge but your doing a later RAF version with folded wings? And the FGR.2 option is due for release in a few months

Yes, I'm doing a RAF FG.1. The RAF used the redundant Navy Phantoms, for 43 and 111 Sqn.They still had the ability to fold wings and noses to give extra room in the maintenance hanger.

T2B

769 posts

Yeah I know the RAF used redundant Navy Phantoms, same as they took over the Buccaneers when the fixed wing carriers were scrapped and the F-111 purchase programme was dumped. Although I had seen the odd RAF Buccaneer with wings folded, I'd never previously seen an RAF Phantom with folded wings so just wondered.

Here you go some proof of folded RAF Phantoms.

Though you wouldn't want to be this USAF one!

T2B

769 posts

Ha I took your word for it. And your right the USAF 1 does look a bit dodgey, wings folded in-flight!

Paws4thot

987 posts

I'd been told different by staff at BAe Brough; the RAF FG1s had the fold hydraulics removed at their first "major" but it was still possible to remove the outer panels.

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

All the seams have now been filled, and I'm about to start the painting.

As my Phantom will be undergoing maintenance on it's radar it won't have any armament fitted. However, when British Phantoms didn't carry live missiles they would carry concrete filled, blue painted, drill rounds in the front recesses only, to help improve the centre of gravity. Mine aren't cemented in yet just test fitted.

Some of the other bits, including the radar set, refuelling probe, and nose fold. The ring for the folded nose wouldn't sit properly until I cut a notch in the side of the nose and the fuselage.

The radar and nose test fitted.

I had the light aircraft grey and the medium sea grey in acrylic pots already, but Humbrol don't do 'Barley Grey'  (Hu 167) any more, having replaced it with camouflage grey (Hu156). Luckily I had a very old tin of 'Authentic Colour' HX7 from about the mid 80's, and after about 30 minutes stirring it worked just fine.

SniperUK

49 posts

Camouflage grey is Barley grey, just the name it was known as changed, always BS 626.

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product