Airfix 1/72 North American Mitchell Mk.II A06018 Build

Pretty Mediocre Modeller

Hi All,

After a bit of a break from building Airfix (I've just completed a Fujimi E-2C Hawkeye and a Revell Gannet AS.1, bit of a naval theme going on there), I thought I'd get back to the Red Box fold with the RAF Mitchell boxing.

/media/tinymce_upload/2a8406be24bd51fb928d914f3dfefb66.jpg

The plastic parts have fine engraved detail (though not as fine as the Hasegawa Mitchell), and the engineering for the kit seems straightforward. The internal detailing is very complete in the front end and bomb bay, but not much in the rear end. Here Airfix have Hasegawa beat. Spars are included with the bomb bay sections to make sure the wings go on at the correct angle, and alternate parts include different engine cowls and exhaust layouts for early and late 'C' versions. Two cockpit canopies are also included, one with extra framing.

Some issues include the under-wingtip shape, which has been mentioned in previous reviews, and is very noticeable when compared to the Hasegawa kit, but I will live with that. Only an American Norton bomb sight is included, no RAF sight, again not to bothered, and American bombs are in the bomb bay, but were American supplied aircraft able to carry British bombs?

Instructions are the usual Airfix standard, ie good, with a glossy, colour paining and decal placement guide, and another guide for stencil placement (there re a lot of stencils, even each bomb has three decals to put on!). There are markings supplied for two similarly painted olive drab over neutral grey machines, a Polish operated later Mk.II and an earlier RAF Mk.II with nose art and a bomb tally. I think I'll go for the second one.

Construction starts, surprisingly enough, with the flight deck. 

/media/tinymce_upload/7335486e47830455db792400cbf6f463.jpg

Here all the parts for the fight deck are laid out, including a bicycle seat for the bombardier, as said earlier a very detailed representation.

/media/tinymce_upload/835158a01cddcfe24c8e10175383b2c4.jpg

All went together easily using Tamiya Extra Thin. One of the fuselage sides was used a jig to make sure all was lined up correctly. The front spar can be seen attached to the bomb bay front bulkhead./media/tinymce_upload/4969daaaed0c826d5112208f80dbce43.jpg

The fight deck painted up. the main colour is Hu226 American cockpit green, as advised in the instructions, with various boxes and controls picked out in matt black, and seat covers in leather brown. The green was dry brushed in yellow zinc chromate to bring out the detail. Basic lap straps are painted sliced Tamiya tape.

/media/tinymce_upload/10679f6e2e3eab08b3eb820afaa51901.jpg

All the internals painted and ready to go into place. The bomb bay walls are separate inserts which include the bomb doors moulded in place, for a closed bay these are left out. If mounted the bombs must be cemented in place before joining the fuselage halves as it would be almost impossible to get them in afterwards. The part with the round hole with cross members attached to the rear spar is the mounting for the underbelly gun turret. Again all painted Hu 226 and dry brushed in the chromate yellow. Note the amount of detail in the centre and front and none in the rear.

/media/tinymce_upload/0add3c9f444fbd1795e238500b090599.jpg

All the internals in place, and fuselage about to be buttoned up. Everything fitted well with no issues. Note that the only place for nose weight is a void space under the starboard side of the fight deck where I have crammed some nuts and bolts held with Blu Tack, don't think it will be enough though!

That's it for now, I'll post again soon when there's some more progress.

I watch this with interest because I too am trying to produce an accurate B-25C only a 320 Dutch squadron machine.  So I too will have the dilemas that you have mentioned: bombsight, bombs, cowling, not to mention which Humbrol paints to purchase.

Please may I trouble you for a picture of the wingtips taken from front?  They have a little dihedral.

Good luck!

Yes I will be following this build with interest too as I've just got the kit and it was trying to jump to the front of my build queue. But as usual your build appears first class so far.

Wasn't aware of the wing tip issue, not that bothered. Yes the Norden Bomb Sight, but unless your a rivet counter, the difference, if seen won't be noticeable, not that bothered!

But my only issue was the ordanance, would an RAF Mitchell be fitted with the correct carriers for RAF bombs or would USAAF bombs have to be supplied? I noticed the box artwork displayed USAAF ordanance being dropped, but that does not necessarily mean it's correct! Any pointers??

Yes that's what I thought regarding the bombs just wondered if anyone had the definitive answer? And as for the rear fuselage detail there are only a couple of small port holes as waist gunners positions weren't fitted till later versions of the Mitchell so little will be seen. 

However given the lack of internal fuselage ribbing are Airfix planning on doing any of the later H/J versions? The large opaque glass parts on the side fuselage could be replaced with waist gunners positions so it may be possible, but of course the dorsal turret would also need repositioning just behind the cockpit? The more I think about it the more I think it's unlikely which would be a shame! 

Well, PMM's link looks pretty definitive that at least some RAF Mitchells (bomber nose) were adapted to use British bombs.

More generally, I think we have the same issue as with the A-4B, which due to sprue design can only be a B (or Argentinian) machine, can be converted into a C with a new nose radome, but needs a new front fuselage and intakes to become an A, or an E or later.

Not that definitive Paws. Its shows a pair of RAF bomb trolleys with bombs and an RAF Mitchell. The natural assumption is the bombs are going to be loaded onto the Mitchell, but that's all it is, an assumption!

I watch this with interest because I too am trying to produce an accurate B-25C only a 320 Dutch squadron machine.  So I too will have the dilemas that you have mentioned: bombsight, bombs, cowling, not to mention which Humbrol paints to purchase.

Please may I trouble you for a picture of the wingtips taken from front?  They have a little dihedral.

Good luck!

Hi Tweezers,

Here's a pic of the Airfix wingtip from the front, you can see it has a little dihedral.

/media/tinymce_upload/c49a1fde5a61f7b6fd6cbc76fca8ab49.jpg

Compare this to the Hasegawa wingtip, here still on the runner, which has far more pronounced dihedral.

/media/tinymce_upload/8ac0ca518f99cd24dd256bc6273c3507.jpg

Personally I'll be leaving it as it is.

There'll be another update on the build hopefully later today, plus the results of some research carried out on the chosen scheme. 

Before I did any more to my Mitchell I thought I would do some searching for images on the internet, and in magazines. I'm planning on completing the box top plane FL-212 'EV-W' of 180 Squadron. The first thing I found was in the latest edition (April 2019) of 'Scale Aircraft Modelling', which has a review of the kit by Brian Derbyshire. Here he points out that the serial should be FL-218 which had the us serial of 112806 not FL-212, this was a B-25C-NA. The window configuration is incorrect and that the carburettor intakes are to wide for this sub-type as depicted by Airfix, they are however correct for the other 'plane FV923 US 264736, which was a B-25C-25. 

To confirm this I found several photos of 'EV-W' which bore out the incorrect windows and wide carb intakes (to be fair I'm leaving the carbs as they are) as well as some interesting weathering on the top surfaces. The serial is visible in several of the photos, it looks like FL-218, but it is not 100% possible to tell as most of the images are blurry over the last digit! I will change to the '8' though. The aircraft did not carry a nose gun in any of the photos, but it did have the mounting for the smaller gun, so I will fit this.

Next I looked in the November 2018 issue of 'SAM' which has an aircraft in profile article on the B-25 also by Bri Derbyshire, with line drawings of the windows and carbs. Basically the starboard side window configuration is correct, but the port side needs to loose the large round window (I'll fill, sand and paint over it) and gain a second lower oval window just behind the first (this will be represented by black decal cut to shape). By the way this was up to aircraft 112816, after that use Airfix's window layout. 

Finally the February 2018 'SAM' has a colour conundrum article on RAF Mitchells and what shades of green and grey they were painted, by Paul Lucas. It includes a side profile of FL-218 in olive drab and neutral grey as stated in the Airfix paint guide, so I'm sticking with that. There is also a section on interior colours and I quote Mr Lucas "Interior surfaces tended to vary. The pilot and co-pilots cockpits were to be Flat Bronze Green No.9, the bombardier's, navigator's and radio and photographer's compartment were to be Yellow-Green. The interior of the bomb bay, cowling, nacelles and their component parts were to be Aluminium as was the landing gear and wheels."

This colour information is to late for me, apart from the engine bays, as I've painted it all cockpit green Hu226, but it may help someone else building the kit.

/media/tinymce_upload/363703f7cdf9f72dd2f386346116cb37.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/37f3c1a0765bb7ca83f6cb215641022c.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/63dffccba8c3fda7c4dd26cb479bc869.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/8040bd23c0194e09e6ca520bdba27bcc.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/e9fbe3989b56bd40d4c1c09b16e329fb.jpg

After my research it was on with the build. The fuselage shells went together nicely, with some weight put in the only void space in the nose, next on were the wing upper surfaces which went on the spars leaving no gap around the wing/ fuselage join.

/media/tinymce_upload/f6ac7128bc4e8946756d7826d0a2161e.jpg

Before adding the lower wings the landing lights have to be added to each leading edge, and some holes drilled into the starboard wing to fit some fairings, these can be seen in the next photo.

/media/tinymce_upload/9b4b0942952c6c58c28cdad2b44184d6.jpg

The following photo shows the wing spars and the completed bomb bay with incorrect American style bombs. There are four in here, though only the bottom two can be seen really.

/media/tinymce_upload/9ebe04c6e6c9ef8d3892733510ab139b.jpg

Wing lower surfaces and undercarriage legs followed, these need to go on now as they can't be fitted after the engines are on. A line of white filler can be seen on the nose underside.

/media/tinymce_upload/2a3f0ef078d3b2e5f18bdfcf54d43415.jpg

Filler needed on the top surface. To be fair this filler was probably down to my poor construction.

/media/tinymce_upload/ac605cbc1600f659b076f886dd9cc73d.jpg

The tail feathers go on now. These are made so it's possible to have movable elevators and rudders, but I glued them in place as I didn't want them flapping about. Only filler needed here was on the top fuselage to tail join.

/media/tinymce_upload/d230e7d9cf55c42de8a2c806c46c26f2.jpg

If you do glue the elevators and rudders remember that both need to point in the same direction. Also in the picture the fairings over the vents in the starboard wing can be seen, for which the previous holes were drilled.

Next up the engines and nacelles.

Yes that's what I thought regarding the bombs just wondered if anyone had the definitive answer? And as for the rear fuselage detail there are only a couple of small port holes as waist gunners positions weren't fitted till later versions of the Mitchell so little will be seen. 

However given the lack of internal fuselage ribbing are Airfix planning on doing any of the later H/J versions? The large opaque glass parts on the side fuselage could be replaced with waist gunners positions so it may be possible, but of course the dorsal turret would also need repositioning just behind the cockpit? The more I think about it the more I think it's unlikely which would be a shame! 

I thought the same. The huge glass waist panels which end up 95% painted over are "curious". Clearly a reason there but using this kit to make an H/J would need a whole new fuselage (tail position is quite different too in the later ones)

ps regarding nose weight. I used a deep sea lead fishing weight carefully trimmed and hammered to fit the void space in the nose and that is barely adequate. If I build another I'd try and hide extra lead in any crack i could find. 

Next on the assembly list was the clear panel each side of the fuselage. These were painted interior green on the inside before fitting, and went in well with a touch of liquid cement flowing around the edge due to capillary action.

Now came the engines and nacelles. The engines are okay, with a full front row of cylinders and a half relief second row plus a separate crank case which also traps the propeller pin, but you have to be very careful with the lineament as the fit is a little sloppy, this goes for the engine into its cowling as well. I painted my engines matt black, dry brushed in aluminium, with a medium grey crank case. The insides of the cowlings were aluminium, as was the inside of the nacelle undercarriage bay, not interior green as stated in the instructions.

The nacelles themselves went together fine, with a separate panel for the later or early exhaust manifold, just be careful to clean up any flash which may interfere with the joining surfaces. One point of note is that Airfix have moulded the main gear doors closed, as they would be on the actual aircraft on the ground, but they have cleverly engineered it so the joint line is more prominent at the intersection of the two doors, so don't be tempted to fill this grove! I packed more weight into the front of the nacelles, but I think this kit is going to be a tail sitter.

The fit of the nacelles to the wings was okay, but a little filler was needed around the intersection. To finish off the main wing construction the four flaps go on, two on each wing. There are again alternate parts for these so that they can be modelled raised or lowered. I went for the lowered option and the fit was good, however I was a bit premature here as with the flaps in the lowered position the small windows in the transparent panel are masked, making them hard to paint, best to do paint around them before fitting the flap.

/media/tinymce_upload/88df216e52dba9a001de72806606e7f1.jpg

The Mitchell with all joints rubbed down and ready for painting to start. The green panel on the side is the transparent part with the windows.

/media/tinymce_upload/4a4950ab442973338c4a9506b871b3f6.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/2a9a218c1ef8dc44db3c5c37902b2f96.jpg

Undercarriage legs in place and it's a definite tail sitter I'm afraid! I do have a plan to overcome this though.

Painting next then when the main scheme is on I'll post again.

Just a quick update on where I'm at now.

The main scheme is on using hand painted Acrylic Hu 155 Olive Drab and Hu 128 US Compass Grey. No masking was used as I wanted it to look like a sprayed demarcation. Next a lot of masking and the deicing boots were added using Hu 33 Matt Black. Finally the fabric covered control surfaces were painted a lightened shade of the olive drab, as these are usually more faded than the rest of the paintwork in photos.. Lastly a small discoloured natural metal panel was added behind each exhaust outlet.

/media/tinymce_upload/9e29269be1b5229ba7ef4ee3e47606c5.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/405bae1841510ca6b28a716dbb4a4224.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/202edaae8a1a7a817ac0324dfcab9910.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/32ad9465a9547f1eedabcf4c48abe250.jpg

A couple of coats of Klear, then on with the decals. At the same time I'll be working on the props, canopy framing and turrets.

The decals went on without a hitch, the only alteration I made was changing the last digit of the serial from a '2' to an '8' using an old Modeldecal sheet. There were several small black stencils, but these were mostly on the neutral grey underside and stood out okay, so I used them all. The canopies were carefully hand painted using a magnifier, a '000' brush and a very steady hand as the frames are somewhat fine. They fitted well, and there are alternate main and nose cockpit glazing. The upper and lower turrets went together without problem, the upper one had no framing and the lower was almost entirely painted over, which was a relief after the canopy parts.

/media/tinymce_upload/81e5f9e3200e95ac13410c93d94f1d7f.jpg 

/media/tinymce_upload/96ca42e98d7cf21de8d93c03b7c39fa3.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/591cef1aaad97665269671f4c128e323.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/d0b61a31c02b5f5585d48eb424ed74aa.jpg

Now a could of coats of matt varnish and the last of the glazing, plus a bit of weathering and she will be done.

Again nothing mediocre about your build PMM! Looking forward to seeing the finished model. I can see you have cured the tail sitting, was that just the rear crew access ladder to support the heavy tail? 

My Mitchell is now completed. To answer T2B's question the tail sitting cure was a cheat, I used one of the little clear plastic mould release pegs from the side of the canopy part and glued it under the rear assess ladder, it was just the right height.

The last clear parts were attached after the matt coat, and these all fitted reasonably. Unfortunately I found that the upper observation dome part was missing, so I had to use the alternate flat part instead. then it ws just the lights in silver and clear red and green and a little weathering and it was done.

/media/tinymce_upload/0905536e509febd24b34c13c6db6d1a2.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/1cfb1ab51c25fea2041172eed84189c1.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/67e26a4ba729ca2207ab1d14bb17f919.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/90ab5cae4434c327fd7aab0f6234f9f1.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/d4028833659e01e827aaa38af64235b4.jpg

For anyone who is interested here are the alterations I made, and the ones I should have made but didn't!

Alterations actually made;

1. Removed large round window from Port side.

2. Added second small oval window to Port side.

3. Changed serial from FL-212 to FL-218

Alterations not made;

1. did not change US bombs for British bombs

2. did not change US bomb site for British bomb site

3. did not slim down carburettor intakes.

4. did not add rod aerial below nose

Anyway, this was a really enjoyable build with good fitting parts, and it has filled a hole in my Bomber Command display. The only real gripe are the wingtips, but Freight Dog Models have just released resin replacements I believe. I may just build another when the Doolittle Raid boxing comes out.

My Mitchell is now completed. To answer T2B's question the tail sitting cure was a cheat, I used one of the little clear plastic mould release pegs from the side of the canopy part and glued it under the rear assess ladder, it was just the right height.

The last clear parts were attached after the matt coat, and these all fitted reasonably. Unfortunately I found that the upper observation dome part was missing, so I had to use the alternate flat part instead. then it ws just the lights in silver and clear red and green and a little weathering and it was done.

/media/tinymce_upload/0905536e509febd24b34c13c6db6d1a2.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/1cfb1ab51c25fea2041172eed84189c1.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/67e26a4ba729ca2207ab1d14bb17f919.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/90ab5cae4434c327fd7aab0f6234f9f1.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/d4028833659e01e827aaa38af64235b4.jpg

For anyone who is interested here are the alterations I made, and the ones I should have made but didn't!

Alterations actually made;

1. Removed large round window from Port side.

2. Added second small oval window to Port side.

3. Changed serial from FL-212 to FL-218

Alterations not made;

1. did not change US bombs for British bombs

2. did not change US bomb site for British bomb site

3. did not slim down carburettor intakes.

4. did not add rod aerial below nose

Anyway, this was a really enjoyable build with good fitting parts, and it has filled a hole in my Bomber Command display. The only real gripe are the wingtips, but Freight Dog Models have just released resin replacements I believe. I may just build another when the Doolittle Raid boxing comes out.

That looks brilliant! I've just finished mine yesterday and started a post detailing the paint job. I avoided the tail sitting (just) but if I do another I'm going to hide some extra weight either side of the reverse of the cockpit bulkhead.