After building and enjoying the new Tiger kit from Airfix, as a break from Aircraft, I decided to order the Firefly as well, and it arrived yesterday lunchtime.
Yesterday evening I got right on with the build, and these are the results after one evening work. So far everything has fitted fine. I do like the choice between easy and slightly more complicated and detailed running gear, and also the plan view of a tank molded into the base part of the main hull, to make sure you get it the right way round!
The base part of the hull. It has a clever tongue and groove system to make sure of proper alignment.
The next step should be the running gear, but I've left it off for now.
The top hull done. Notice how step 43 shows fitting a machinegun to the hull, while step 45 shows the blanking plate. I went for the blanking plate. There is an interesting way of fitting the lifting eyes and lights from inside the hull.
The turret put together. when dry fitting the top and bottom halves together the fit was really tight, and they kept popping apart, but when liquid cement was added they went together perfectly. The separate hatch on the left side of the turret has no guide to location molded in, so care is needed.
I won't be using it, but here are the one piece track assemblies.
Finally, here are all the sub assemblies dry fitted, with simple tracks.
Next up will be assembly of the tracks, and maybe the start of painting. There is another sprue full of kit to busy up the tank, such as ammo boxes, jerry cans and spare wheels and track.
building this has brought back memories of building 1/76 Matchbox Fireflies and wargaming with my mates as a teenager. All I need now is a half destroyed stone bridge to display it on(anyone who remembers the Matchbox kit will know what I mean!).