SThe Airfix 2018 Range Launch!

Ratch

1979 posts

Community Moderator

Its easy for us to think that we dedicated modellers make up the major part of Airfix's market and that they should meet all our requirements or face ruin. I was at that meeting with Paul where our share of the market was revealed to us. It made sobering thought. We all think that kids aren't entering the hobby, but if that was the case, why would Airfix maintain so many Starter & Gift Sets in their range - and take a look at the demographic of their retail outlets. Kids aren't born dedicated modellers - they might make a few kits, drift out of the hobby and return when they mature. They fall outside of our niche but make up the major demographic of buyers of Airfix kits.

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum

LeonF

23 posts

I don't go to as many shows and displays as I used to but I still see plenty of youngsters floating around such places. It's not all old folk yet and so companies need to find ways to net the fish once they've got them on the hook. 

One way I see is  investing in the middle ground between quickbuild/starter kits and the more complex 48s and larger 72s that seem to be the focus at the moment. 

Variety was the key to maintaining my interest once I made the usual suspects rather than simply a new set of decals on  the same plastic (so glad it's being done, especially as this years options contain more than just a new set of codes and badges). Personally I can only make (=buy)  so many Spitfires/109s/Red Arrows etc before begging for a change. 

Putting it simplistically I would like to see more series 1-3 in the mix, what in my day were the 'pocket money kits - even though today it' barely makes the <£20 bracket. Each kit may make less money for the manufacturer that the costly headline 'WOW' types but you are also likely to sell more multiples to the older crowd - admit it, whos stash isnt made up of a few biggies held up by the same weigh and volume of smaller boxes!?! 

Paul Brown

554 posts

Community Moderator

@LeonF

I do believe it's possible for companies to interact online within forums by utilising limited access or even locked thread that only they can post in.

There's not a lot of point in limited access or locked threads. A brief look at any of the manufacturer Facebook pages and you will find constant negativity running through them and for some reason Airfix picks up more than its fair share of forensic nit-picking and 'didn't want to do that, should've done this' posts. Part of the reason the original Airfix official forum was shut down was the constant drip of negativity towards Airfix and Airfix products (I won't go into the other part). Manufacturers do look at the forums and Facebook pages, but they don't interact, it's a no-win situation for them.

rafale

12 posts

I like the new range.  In my opinion it´s quite interesting.

Very disappointed again.!

No ships, what's going on Airfix? Iv been a loyal customer since I was seven. Now i have to buy from foreign companies if i want a kit.And please don't tell me that ships don't sell if Trumpeter, Flyhawk et al are producing at least three new ship kits a year.

Fleet air arm aircraft kits are great but remember you need an aircraft carrier to fly them off.

Very disappointed wish i had not spent the money on the 2018 catalogue now.

I fully appreciate when people say that Airfix can't please everyone - BUT - unless you're interested in wingy-stuff, Airfix hardly please ANYONE.

I'm SO glad I didn't waste even 50p on this years catalogue.

RCD

3 posts

Lets be positive  the 2018 new tool models are outstanding - no one else would have considered a 1/48 walrus!  Lets be grateful that there are are many happy customers. Hopefully it means that in the medium term British aircraft like thye skua, beaufort and barracuda will be considered  as potential models. 

Yes it would be great for Airfix to produce say a  'dog' boat ' or revamp some of the AFVs (especially the cold war models) but clearly Airfix have found that  British aircraft bring in the pennies. 

Its diappointng that we get the usual moaning because Arfix are not Dragon or Trumpeter.

A lot of interesting releases - who can not want an FGR 2 ?

The Hunter (whether 2019 or late 2018 is  more of a problem. Why 36 notes ? its not as if there is masses of plastic. Probably no mrore than the Mitchel. One thnks that this alone may cause Airfix a problem.

Any suggestions from Airfix as to why this kit will be this price ?

@david evans

Very disappointed again.!

No ships, what's going on Airfix? Iv been a loyal customer since I was seven. Now i have to buy from foreign companies if i want a kit.And please don't tell me that ships don't sell if Trumpeter, Flyhawk et al are producing at least three new ship kits a year.

Fleet air arm aircraft kits are great but remember you need an aircraft carrier to fly them off.

Very disappointed wish i had not spent the money on the 2018 catalogue now.

Hmm - of course you are entitled to your opinion

However - lets take the recent Trumpeter 1/200 Hood. The Hood association (the foremost authority) offered help to Trumpeter to produce the most accurate model possible (they had already colaborated over the 1/350 (considered the most accurate) Trumpeter ignored them and used a highly spurious 3D set of drawings with numerous errors resulting in a funnel that is the wrong size. This from a kit that will set most people back 250 quid !

Most of the Far East manufacturers seem to get away with shonkingly bad kits with horrible inacuracies yet Airfix get slaughtered for not releasing kits that may have only limited appeal in thier host market. One must assume that in their home markets a lot of these manufacturers output is very cheap and just make the Western world cough up.

Airfix have removed most of their old kits from the line up. They were too expensive and some of them complete shonkers .

They were only shonkers due to the price - as the last chance to buy proved - sell em cheap enough and they will go.

How about Airfix going old school - stick em in a bag with some cardboard at the top, one set of markings. get them in Clintons , whatever - anywhere , make them pocket money prices (10 quid) and they will sell especially if Airfix set up an online area where videos show the build and how to enhance it (simple scratch building). Some kind of game wouldnt be a bad thing.

The re-release of all the old engine kits was a case in point - how come they didnt release the motor , even as a seperate part.

Its clear that Airfix have decided to target a specific line which will appeal to the budget UK, US and European market so lets leave the obscure Armour to others and concentrate on core customers - wish they would just get a lot smarter.

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product