SAirfix Kit Starter 1/72 Beagle Basset CC.1

You may remember a few years ago Airfix ran a 'Kit Starter' promotion, where modellers could vote for which classic kits they would like to buy. In the end only the Basset received enough votes to go into limited production, and I was lucky enough to aquire one. The Kit starter seems to have been replaced with the Airfix Classics Range now, so let's hope this is more successful and we get to see some classic aircaft kits soon.

The uninspiring box

The instructions and decals. These are the original instructions reprinted, so have the written steps with part names as well as the exploded diagrams. The only shanges are the hornby Hobbies logo and the paint numbers changed from Airfix to Humbrol. By the way there are no internal colour callouts, and the paint guide has you painting the lower half and wings in silver when it should be light aircraft grey! The decals mirror the originals but are printed to today's standards, and give a choice of three aircraft, the only difference being the last digit of the serial number.

The plastic parts on the old type open tree frames, which leads to loose and missing parts. I'm missing one pilot figure but no big deal as I don't usually include them anyway and I have plenty in the spares box. After test fitting the fuselage and lower wings fit seems okay. Cabin detail includes floor, rear bulkhead, instrument panel with two finely moulded control wheels, and the seven seats ( for pilot, co-pilot, and the five man V-Bomber crew they would be repositioning). Clear parts are thick but clear enough and the whole airframe is cover with the typical Airfix rivets of the time, but not to pronounced, a quick swipe with the wet and dry will sort them out. Panel lines are raised and will stay that way.

I intend to build from the box, and will start with the cabin. As I have been unable to find any info on colours here I will go with cream for bulkheads and roof, a light grey for the floor, medium blue seat covers and a black instrument panel shroud, with medium grey panel. Maybe i'll do some black blobs for instruments. If anyone knows the proper colours i'd be pleased to here from you.

T2B

1076 posts

I'll look forward to the progress on your build PMM. I also voted for this kit and was pleased to get it in my stash when it was released with enough votes! I'd actually been trying to get this kit on auction sites but pristine kits always went for silly prices way above my budget!!

I know it was a promotion but a reproduction of the original box artwork would have been a nice touch, as you say the plain white box is a disappointment!

Paul Brown

787 posts

Community Moderator

If anything, the Kitstarter idea demonstrated why some kits fail to get re-released, there's just not enough demand. I got one of the Basset kits because I'd never had one before and I'm thinking of doing it in a raspberry ripple scheme.

T2B

1076 posts

Yes it's a shame the KitStarter idea failed but Airfix did put some odd kits on the thread such as a small bird on a branch? I was surprised and disappointed that the DHC Beaver failed to secure enough votes though! 

Paul Brown

787 posts

Community Moderator

I voted for the Beaver, although I did subsequently score one off ebay without breaking the bank. Like you I thought it would get enough votes for a rerelease. 

Construction of this kit went fairly rapidly for me. I started with the interior, which was quick and easy, the windows went in first, the fit wasn't perfect but okay, then the seats and instrument panel. As mentioned before there were no painting instructions so the colours seen here are all guesswork. I did look on the Internet but couldn't find any interior shots. While the paint was drying I put together the wings, which, even though 50 year old toolings went together without gaps, but have pretty thick trailing edges.

Next the fuselage halves went together, trapping the cabin, and not forgetting to put some nose weight in to prevent tail sitting. With the use of lots of clamps I got a good join, with only a few small gaps to fill later.

Next up was the tail and wings. The tailplanes went on nicely enough but some careful alinement is needed to make sure they set level. The wings were also reasonable fit with a few small gaps. I positioned them so the gaps were all on the bottom surface so they are easier to fill and smooth.

Next on the list is filling and sanding the seams.

John Symmons

990 posts

Hi PMM.

That looks like a very pretty aircraft should look great when paited and your interior seems a likely colour scheme, you've made a good choice. looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Remember we do this for fun                                   John the Pom

Thanks John,

It's almost ready to start painting now, I'll post some more tonight.

Sorry for not posting on this build for a while.

Once together the airframe was quickly prepared for painting, due to the generally good fit of the parts, not bad for a kit from 1968! On the photos below you can see the small areas of filler needed, a little on the spine behind the cockpit hump, on the underside of one of the wingtips and to fill the stand slot behind the underside bulge. This bulge has a large hole moulded in it, not sure why, but I filled it with a length of plastic rod.

Some of the smaller parts have also been added, and the side windows masked with Tamiya tape and Maskol.

The painting instructions for the whole kit are the 1960's version with just the paint reference numbers changed. They basically say paint the fuselage top and fin white, the wheels and anti glare panel black and everything else silver, that's it. I chose the later scheme with Light Aircraft Grey instead of silver for the undersides and wings.

Painting was with a brush using Humbrol acrylics, an undercoat of Hu34 followed by Hu130 on top Hu 166 for the rest and Hu33 for the black bits. The biggest problem was the masking, especially for the fuselage cheatline which needed to be spot on so the wrong colour does not show on the wrong side of the line.

I did some searching on the internet for the prop blade colours and found images of RAF/MoD Beagles with three different coloured blades; black with yellow tips, a light grey with black de-icer boots at the root and re-white-red tips, or sectioned black and white blades. I chose the black and yellow as it's the easiest. All those de-icer boots and the anti glare panel were a pain to mask! That red nose is present in most images of parked Beagles. It's not painted that colour it's a remove beforee flight cover over the pitot tube, so if you make one in flight don't paint the nose red.

The wheels went on well, and the legs have some detail on them. The main bays are completely open though and the nose bay has no depth at all, however this was lucky as when I put it on it's wheels I found I had not put enough weight in the nose, but I was able to cram more into the engine spaces through the main U/C bays.

Next up the decals.

T2B

1076 posts

Looking good and looking forward to seeing the Beagle finished PMM. And yes I had thought you'd shelved your build lol 

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product