Any ideas for a good bomber planes for a newer person to modelling?

Ratch

Without sitting next to you and knowing how big your desk is its diffucult to say.

What period of history are you interested in?

WW1 there is the Handley Page O/400

WW2 Airfix's new Lancasters and B-17s are good

If you're into jets maybe the Valiant or Victor

There are some good shouts in the previous posts but it largely depends on your modelling skill and the difficulty factor you require? The older Airfix toolings are a good starter point as simpler but with a little care still make good kits. The newer tool kits are more complicated and with a greater parts count but do make a better finished model! 

Hi Aida.

Your question abouit a bomber kit to start with; I'd recommend either the DeHaviland Mosquito both the Airfix and Tamiya offerings in 1/72 scale are both very good and both make up into quite repectable models of what was arguably the most photogenic bomber of WW 2; especially in a flying configeration. The other iconic bomber is in the jet era and being the Canberra, again another photogenic aircraft and again looks better in the flying mode. Both aircraft are made by Airfix and are quite reasonably priced. While maybe not true novice models with a little care and patience should pose few problems to an adult beginner. the Mosquito comes out at just over a 9 inch span and the Canberra finishes up at almost 11 inches long so shouldn't take up too much real estate on your desk.  Hope this helps and would love to see the finished result.

Remember we do this for fun                            John the Pom

At great risk, I would observe the following.

The list of aircraft given in the replies covers some famous and interesting models of British aircraft, any of which would look great on a desk.

As a ‘newer person to modelling’, I would not question your skill, but I would question the stock of supporting materials needed to turn out one of these kits - paint, tools, painting implements, etc.

Finally, if it’s to be located on a desk, I assume it will be there for all to see. Your self satisfaction will require it to be well finished.

Again, at the risk of being accused of heresy, had you considered a Corgi die-cast from the Hornsby stable?

I think that if you're considering a 1/72 WW2 subject then a Lancaster or Flying Fortress are often favourites. Post war a Vulcan is a patriotic choice and looks good. I can't help thinking though that the bomber that really looks the part is the B58 Hustler, the Italeri kit can still be found. Sorry to bring up a non Airfix kit but I wish they would produce an up to date model of this iconic aircraft. Probably not much chance but you never know? 

"Raining down hell on a city" sounds like you'd want a 4 engine heavy bomber like a Lancaster or B17. Both of these are complex kits though.

For a newer modeller I'd stick to a twin engine bomber initially. The Airfix Blenheim is great and fairly simple to build (and you can have the bomb bay open). The B26 is an option too. It's not quite a bomber but the rocket or torpedo armed Beaufighter is a personal favourite.

To the OP, keep it simple for your first bomber, so opt for either a single or twin-engined tail dragger...

Stuka!... The first model I ever built on my own. Also perfect for raining hell down on civilians. Straight forward to build and paint yet still a great model. Also no dilemma about wheels updown . Only drawback is that it's such a third Reich icon people could jump to conclusions if it's the only model on your desk. You may want a spitfire to compliment it.

I've had the B25 C/D in my stash since it came out and finally built it this weekend. Apart from the boring decal schemes i can thoroughly recommend it. It's quite a compact little bomber but bags of detail. The biggest issue is getting enough lead into it to stop it sitting on its tail.

(I've bought after market decals for a North Africa / Italy scheme btw)

@ Peter s

Have you thought about posting your completed B-25 On the aircraft thread with a little blurb so we can all see it built?

I'll take a few pics and have a go. I'm happy with my finished models but they look horrible until they come together at the end ☺ (maybe that's why I should share) So far it's built according to instructions but I haven't worried about the turrets yet. They can be done in parallel with the main build.

It'll be good to see the kit come together if you can manage to post it as I don't have this kit in my stash yet! And apart from a very rare few, of which I'm not 1 we all use the forum to pick up tips and help improve our skills and finished models!

It'll be good to see the kit come together if you can manage to post it as I don't have this kit in my stash yet! And apart from a very rare few, of which I'm not 1 we all use the forum to pick up tips and help improve our skills and finished models!

Ok. It's built (but that was quite easy... The box is Lancaster size but the parts count about halfway between Beaufighter and lanc... Probably easier than the Dornier 17) and it's got a bare bones coat of olive drab. I'll start taking pics from now on and probably post a build diary in one go. I'm more into painting and weathering than building.

If you're interested in one it's got 5/5 for build quality and parts fit. The C/D version doesn't have the greatest choice for final schemes but North Africa had some cool cammo schemes and they fought in the Pacific too. There's an early cowling option in the kit so I'm sure you could back date to a Doolittle raid example

As said many times before 'bomber' is a wide term and covers almost anything!  So.....

1 Pick a period - WW2 is a good one for me as when I think bomber I think Lancaster, Fortress, Hienkel etc

2 Size - for me, bomber means at least two but generally four engines

3 Visable bombloads (or not) - do you want a bomb-bayed aircraft, and it it to be open or closed?

4 Age - newer kits are great but not really for the inexperienced.  Older kits can be easier and may enable you to develop your skills sufficiently to move on to newer kits.  But some 'older kits' are very challenging indeed!

For a 'bomb-bay closed' aircraft, the Airfix Halifax coud be completed well by an inexperienced modeller (having a closed bomb-bay).  It very much captures the look of a WW2 RAF bomber.  And it's generally available and not outrageously expensive.  

For a 'Bomb-bay open' aircraft, the Airfix Marauder assembles well without being overly challengimg to the inexperienced.  It has an open bomb bay.option as well as reasonble interiors and good external detail (though like the Halifax above this is of the raised variety).  Although an older kit, it assembles well.  It's in the current range (2019) too.  

I hope this is of some use!

I've got a rivals B26 and I've never tackled the Airfix but as a modelling subject it's a good one. Decent size , a good choice of colour scheme and if you look at Google images of real ones potential for a fairly heavily weathered model. My B25 needed plenty of lead in the nose to avoid tail sitting but the B26 was bonkers. I've got a 2oz deep sea fishing weight beaten square and filling the entire radio room to keep it on its nose. From experience I've never built a WW2 tricycle undercarriage plane that didn't need plenty of lead in the nose.