IPMS Telford 2018 - Airfix New Tool Anmoucement

T2B

Has anyone any thoughts on what it might be? I know there are many requests for people's favourites on the Wish List Forum.

I do not have any insider information but if I was inclined to have a bet I would have a sneaky £1 on a Handley Page Halifax B.1! Only because if you look at the box artwork for the new Me262 Night Fighter it's depicted having just downed a H.P Halifax! Airfix did a similar scene when the Me262 was first released with the new tool B.17 in the ariel scene!

Just a wild stab in the dark but does anyone else agree or have any other thoughts??

Yes it's only speculation, and yes only 4 days to wait for the announcement but it's only me making some comment on my thoughts if anyone wanted to respond to them which is what the forum is all about! 

If you are tired of the speculation it was your choice to read the post and then to reply to it! You didn't have too??

@ Ratch

Yes I asked for any thoughts but it was in relation to my thoughts regarding any possible new tool announcement and intended to generate a discussion about that topic, not your thoughts suggesting I shouldn't have the right to pose the question just because you are bored with the subject!

Convoluted I know but last  month I saw something on Hannants website that raised one of my eyebrows. It might well have been any number of compounding errors, but there was a masking set for an Airfix FG1 Phantom in 1/48 scale listed under 'future releases'. Does it mean someone simply made a mistake,  or are we being told something we shouldn't have been told?

Typo, I'm not reading anything into it. As Ratch says, we'll find out at 11.00 am, Saturday, although if people wish to speculate, that's their prerogative. Personally I'd be thinking along the lines of another gap from the old catalogue being filled with a new tool.

Yes it's speculation! But WorkBench on the last 2 issues have hinted at an exciting announcement so I believe there will be a totally new tool rather updated decals or sub-types, they will probably be in the 2019 catalogue 

Airfix definitely need a new announcement as their 'coming soon' list of new moulds is getting thin. 

However I wonder how many times I've read it speculated as 'definitely a 1/72 Vulcan' since the announcement of an announcement?

Personally I would like to see some new small series 1-3 types as its very much been a 'new decal' list for a while now. Don't think it will be though unless they the BIG announcement is actually Sum-of-its-parts. 

@ LeonF

Although a new 1:72nd Vulcan would be welcomed by most modellers and would be near the top of my wish list, I suspect with the old tool kit still being in the range I doubt whether Airfix would invest in a new tool when the think there is still mileage left in the old moulds, which any current sales would be pure profit? But I would hope to be proved wrong. 

And yes although some new tool series 1 - 3 series aircraft would also be most welcome I think from WorkBench's hints it may be a bigger aircraft. It might even be a new 1:24th scale kit which many modellers have been asking for? If so I'll be wrong about my theory on the H.P. Halifax aswell!

Yes Paul I hope your right with a couple of smaller new tool kits for the New Year 2019 catalogue aswell as the usual crop of decal changes and sub-type updates to existing tools. That's altogether a whole new wish list lol 

I've no doubt the Vulcan will come, however listening to the chatter on what Vulcans have been visited and when I doubt a Telford announcement would be followed up by a 2019 kit as the timetable would be very tight. My money is a later call and a 2020 release.

A new 1/24 Spitfire I is needed before that honour falls to a competitor, notably alongside Trumpeters existing large scale mid/late  Spitfire range.

But what about a large 1/48 kit instead? Unlikely but the old Monogram heavies are ripe for replacing with a modern tool and as demand would be slow but steady the likelihood is that whoever gets their first will stand alone for a good while. 

TBH though I'm looking at the odd inclusion of the BOAC Concorde in the Airfix calendar...its neither new generation Hornby era, nor a recent Vintage Classic release. Could it be a surprise outside bet as it covers all the bases - large, British (OK Half British), well known in and outside the hobby (for 'Grandmas gifts!'), is overdue for replacement, and has no modern competition 

I do still hold our for more smaller kits as not all modellers have deep pockets and wide shelves, however I doubt they will all fall together at Telford. I do feel they would be missing a trick (and a revenue stream) by not hiding at least one tiny hidden gem under a grand wing of the headline act. I could likely name a dozen needed types in my sleep. 

@Leone

I agree that I doubt a Vulcan will be this year's BIG announcement but hope that your right that it will be next year for 2020 release! Many modellers want a new 1:24th scale Spitfire though I don't have the space for such large scale kits, I'm sure it would be an excellent addition to the range. But I would be disappointed if another 1:48th scale kit was announced as I think that scale has been well represent with new tools lately!!

WELL DIDN'T WE ALL GET THAT 1 WRONG, I didn't see that coming lol!

I did have a sneaky suspicion it might be a 1:24th scale kit but the GRUMMAN HELLCAT is a total surprise! Well Done Airfix, not my usual scale but I might be tempted? But I think it will be a popular choice, especially in the American market place!

So funny reading the UK forums where there's a huge amount of negativity (beyond the usual disappointment of wrong subject/variant /scale). Seems a lot forget its a global marketplace and the F6F should do well in the US 

Be interesting when the US forums wake up in a few hours as to their reactions to one of their favourite subjects! 

Q. All I've heard is the Hellcat, was there anything else? 

And in the meantime I still wonder about that Concorde pic...

Archived