Patrick, you couldn't find me but I managed to find you!
Most of this is pulled from my original submission to another forum.
'I would like to submit my endeavours attempting what I could to raise the level using as a basis (don't laugh) the venerable Airfix mini-kit of HMS Victory. To my incomplete knowledge, no one else has given this kit such attention. You don't have to be insane, but it helps!
Though the kit is as crudely basic; when I studied the hull halves I considered them to be fair attempt at the general proportions of the ship drawings in 'The Anatomy of the Ship' book, after reducing them on a photo-copier. I was surprised to find it worked out at 1:600. The rest of the kit went into the re-cycling bin!
After some major surgery, I felt there was a good basis to proceed. In short, everything else was totally scratch-built using plastic card and brass rod/tubing. The rigging is entirely made from various bits of fishing line monofilament.
My only tools were a ruler, a scalpel, bits of emery paper and a small selection of Humbrol enamels. The 'pedestals' are from ballpoint pens; the polycarbonate case and base were made from found items. It includes a full crew, but they are eating lunch below deck.
It's been gathering dust all these years on top of a book case, until a recent visitor wanted a look-see. To be honest, when I had a close look I couldn't believe it was my work and decided to photograph it for your amusement. Please bear in mind it measures not much over 3 inches in length overall
In all it took me 8 months of spare time, 20 years ago. I never did anything like it before or since'.
I found the project to be absorbing and a challenge. Though I'm generally pleased with the result, it's clear I had difficulty with the stern galleries using my skill-set at the time. That is the one aspect I'd do differently now.
Thank you for your indulgence.