SAirfix Humbrol’s 1/72 “E” Boat.

John Symmons

977 posts

Hi Paws

I'd purposely stayed off that point about wherther it's called an E or S boat just sticking with the Airfix title for the Kit. But yes you're correct, but there is some confusion as to where the "E" title came from, but you're probably correct with the E for enmeny bit.

I'll post the next bit as soon as I've sorted the photos and finished writing it up.

Remember we do this for fun                                                John the Pom

Paws4thot

1214 posts

@John Symmons

Hi Paws

I'd purposely stayed off that point about wherther it's called an E or S boat just sticking with the Airfix title for the Kit. But yes you're correct, but there is some confusion as to where the "E" title came from, but you're probably correct with the E for enmeny bit.

I'll post the next bit as soon as I've sorted the photos and finished writing it up.

Remember we do this for fun                                                John the Pom

Yeah, I was avoiding that point until it became necessary too. I'd be "sarky" about using the "wrong title" if it was a binary rather than a true duality.

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

John Symmons

977 posts

More on the Airfix "E" or "S" Boat.

Previously I mentioned the crew figures so I’ll start were I left off.

Using a mixture of Tamiya’s Royal Blue, Vallejo Prussian  Blues, various Vallejo Grey’s and Tans / Browns and Buffs, the figures were painted up. I’ve added a second officer making the Revell one the captain complete with beard, the other officer could be a trainee as these boats were often used to give operational training for new crews in the early war years before these older boats were sent to training establishments in 1940 and 41. All the deck crew are moulded with typical navy roll-top sweaters while the engineers have T-shirt type tops. The Revell figures were first coated with the Tamiya surface primmer as it’s the only thing that I’ve found that sort-of adheres to the soft plastic. And all painted up using various combinations of the colours mentioned even mixing Tamiya with Vallejo to get the blue grey I wanted. The only kit figure not shown below is the helmsman as he’s already at his post. All in all I think they came out looking quite good. All I had to  finally do was to cut the bases off the extra figures.

The top row are the Airfix kit figures minus the helmsman, even managed to paint the binocular’s lenses gunmetal blue. The bottom row being from the Revell K.M. Navy set, (1st three figures.) and the Airfix and Revell Luftwaffe sets. The kneeling figure was originally  holding a bomb, he’ll now double as a mechanic.

The other sub-assemblies completed and painted without any problems, except for the depth charges. They kept rolling out of the racks when I was trying to glue them into place. Luckily they’re a bit too big for the carpet monster but still managed to roll into the most inaccessible places. The colours for the life rafts or dinghies were the Airfix recommended ones, but for the torpedoes I used those from the Revell S-boat kit as the Airfix colours looked kind-of bland.  The steel colour was made using Vallejo natural steel plus some grey and gunmetal blue, ( Gunmetal blue is very useful to just change the hue a touch, but you only need the smallest amount as the blue dye is very powerful and can easily overpower any colour it’s mixed with, very useful at giving gun barrels that blue-ish tinge.) The torpedoes could be improved by cutting off the rear fins and thinning them down, as they do seem a bit on the thick side, as can be seen in the photos I didn’t bother.

The torpedo tubes, torpedo racks and depth charges and racks were added to the hull together with all the various ventilation and search lights and the railing stanchions and dodgers added. When I was adding the vents I discovered I’d lost a part the rear-most vent engine vent just forward of the rear cannon’s bandstand, the tube thing that seems to be wearing a tin hat, so had to scratch build one from old sprue and bits. Not sure if the size is correct, but it looks the part.

The bow railings were rigged using some metal wrapped silver thread I brought a few months previous just for this model as my normal rigging thread was way too thin, I thought the silver would add the right tough, maybe a bit to bright but at least it can be seen and it shows up in the photos. The same thread was used to rig the mast with all the required rigging then added to the bridge sub-assembly. Airfix have supplied little ring cleats that the rigging can be tied to which negates having to drill any holes. The only railings not completed were the rear ones as they would impede the tying of the long rigging wires from the mast to the stern.

Bridge and other sub-assemblies added and rigging completed, crew added and that about completed the model just a few paint touch-ups and a touch of weathering mainly dirty-ing the hull a touch and the dodgers. As these boats were made of wood and not steel there wouldn’t be any rust streak on the hull maybe a few around the bridge and deck fittings but in service these were usually kept pretty clean with regular paint touch-ups.

Sub assemblies painted.

Helmsman at the wheel.

Bridge and Mast with rigging.

Stern cannon platform bandstand with flag mast. Flag and rigging to be added.

Bow view with rigged stanchions.

Mid-ships.

Stern with unfinshed railings.

Stern views with unfinshed railings and with finished railings and crew.

Port and Starboard side views. Decals and some weathering still to be finalised.

Port and Starboard 3/4 views with crew in finalised places.

From bow to stren.

That’s about it I’ll post the final photos when the base is completed. Hope you enjoy the photos, and all comments welcome.

Remember we do this for fun                                           John the Pom.

Ratch

2616 posts

Community Moderator

Hi John, the pictures would be better placed adjacent to the text that describes what's going on Wink

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/index.php

John Symmons

977 posts

Thanks Ratch I'll try better next time. I did think of that but desided to try it this way.

Remember we do this for fun                      John the Pom

Paws4thot

1214 posts

Generalised comment on "mixed gunmetal" for firearms. Part of the reason for discolouration from an "as built" state will be how hot the barrel has been. As such different tones for different guns or gun positions could be appropriate since different guns might be fired different numbers of times.

For example, on the Vosper series 3, you could use different tones for each of the 4 Browning and Vickers points, and for the Oerlikon.

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

John Symmons

977 posts

Hi Paws.

I was just malking a general comment as to how useful I've found the Vallejo gun metal blue and thought I'd pass it on to other modellers. I've used that colour in several places on the model not only on the guns but the torpedos even on the gold / bronze colour of the fins, and the depth charges to help give some texture and depth to an otherwise rust streaked flat grey surface. in my post on the Ju 52 I used the colour together with natural steel and black/grey for the fire arms to help give that little bit of hue, same with the Me 109 diorama, maybe it doesn't show to well in the photos, but seeing it in real-life you can see something is there.

Any way it's just i tip I like using, give it a try but as i said be very weary as the blue dye is very powerful and can easily over-power the other colours.

As were now in the middle of summer in Cape Town I'm having difficulties with the paints drying too fast that I'm ending up with palettes full of dried wasted paint before I've finished what I'm painting. Now iI doubt you guys back int UK have this problem, anyway I've invested in some Artist's acrylic retarder, made by a local arts and craft company and it works very well, even mixes with Tamiya although you only need a touch ( they recommend 10 to 15% on the bottle) but now my paint can last 5 to ten minutes in the palette and on the brush and not the usual 60 to 90 seconds as before. Just thought I'd pass this along especially if people live in a hot climate.

Remember we do this for fun                           John the Pom

@Paws4thot

Hi Paws

Yeah, I was avoiding that point until it became necessary too. I'd be "sarky" about using the "wrong title" if it was a binary rather than a true duality.

The main reason I mentioned the dual designation was due to the Revell kit being marketed as an S Boat rather than E Boat. Not sure you'd find much from Revell under E Boat, especially since they're a German company. On the subject of this thread, that's a nice build, different from mine since I opted for the full hull. Okay, back to my monster 1/350 builds. Five ships built, another eight building.

John Symmons

977 posts

It's finally done, normally I'd mount the sea-scape on a wooden base and make a glass case to cover the model but as it's going to a LMS I decided to for-go those steps.

At our local IPMS meeting the model did garner quite a lot of interest and I was questioned as-to where I'd found the water. As you may know from the news we're almost  out of water in Cape Town, we're limited to about 50 litres a day and the taps are expected to run dry in April, but I did say the water was 1/72 scale and that seemed to appease them.

First photo with the Decals all six of them

Then various views Sorry about the garden back-ground but I was in a bit of a hurry. 

The final on I managed  white back-drop  so added a back-ground of some rocky mountain face and a sky behind that. but the rocky background I see looks like added sea with a shore-line. Take your pick.

Decals on with no trouble.

And finally with a back-ground and extended sea, not my best effort.

Well that's it, I tried to show her as she might have appeared in the mid 1939 on a training cruise just before the war. I've noticed that in all the wartime photos I've seen the mast seems to have been removed from the E//S-boats, maybe a method of making the boats a bit more invisable when they're sneeking about at sea. I must say I really enjoyed this model, even the poorly fitting hull and deck. Gave me something to think about, and try some new techniques. the model was finally a joy to build and really does make up into quite an impressive and unusual subject. Pity it's no longer available as I wouldn't mind making a second one. Again the figures really have to be seen as they're quite exceptional especially for Airfix. So come-on Airfix just redo the hull and re-issue the kit.

Remember we do this for fun                              John the Pom.

Ratch

2616 posts

Community Moderator

Nice finish JohnCool

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/index.php

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product