More on the Airfix "E" or "S" Boat.
Previously I mentioned the crew figures so I’ll start were I left off.
Using a mixture of Tamiya’s Royal Blue, Vallejo Prussian Blues, various Vallejo Grey’s and Tans / Browns and Buffs, the figures were painted up. I’ve added a second officer making the Revell one the captain complete with beard, the other officer could be a trainee as these boats were often used to give operational training for new crews in the early war years before these older boats were sent to training establishments in 1940 and 41. All the deck crew are moulded with typical navy roll-top sweaters while the engineers have T-shirt type tops. The Revell figures were first coated with the Tamiya surface primmer as it’s the only thing that I’ve found that sort-of adheres to the soft plastic. And all painted up using various combinations of the colours mentioned even mixing Tamiya with Vallejo to get the blue grey I wanted. The only kit figure not shown below is the helmsman as he’s already at his post. All in all I think they came out looking quite good. All I had to finally do was to cut the bases off the extra figures.
The top row are the Airfix kit figures minus the helmsman, even managed to paint the binocular’s lenses gunmetal blue. The bottom row being from the Revell K.M. Navy set, (1st three figures.) and the Airfix and Revell Luftwaffe sets. The kneeling figure was originally holding a bomb, he’ll now double as a mechanic.
The other sub-assemblies completed and painted without any problems, except for the depth charges. They kept rolling out of the racks when I was trying to glue them into place. Luckily they’re a bit too big for the carpet monster but still managed to roll into the most inaccessible places. The colours for the life rafts or dinghies were the Airfix recommended ones, but for the torpedoes I used those from the Revell S-boat kit as the Airfix colours looked kind-of bland. The steel colour was made using Vallejo natural steel plus some grey and gunmetal blue, ( Gunmetal blue is very useful to just change the hue a touch, but you only need the smallest amount as the blue dye is very powerful and can easily overpower any colour it’s mixed with, very useful at giving gun barrels that blue-ish tinge.) The torpedoes could be improved by cutting off the rear fins and thinning them down, as they do seem a bit on the thick side, as can be seen in the photos I didn’t bother.
The torpedo tubes, torpedo racks and depth charges and racks were added to the hull together with all the various ventilation and search lights and the railing stanchions and dodgers added. When I was adding the vents I discovered I’d lost a part the rear-most vent engine vent just forward of the rear cannon’s bandstand, the tube thing that seems to be wearing a tin hat, so had to scratch build one from old sprue and bits. Not sure if the size is correct, but it looks the part.
The bow railings were rigged using some metal wrapped silver thread I brought a few months previous just for this model as my normal rigging thread was way too thin, I thought the silver would add the right tough, maybe a bit to bright but at least it can be seen and it shows up in the photos. The same thread was used to rig the mast with all the required rigging then added to the bridge sub-assembly. Airfix have supplied little ring cleats that the rigging can be tied to which negates having to drill any holes. The only railings not completed were the rear ones as they would impede the tying of the long rigging wires from the mast to the stern.
Bridge and other sub-assemblies added and rigging completed, crew added and that about completed the model just a few paint touch-ups and a touch of weathering mainly dirty-ing the hull a touch and the dodgers. As these boats were made of wood and not steel there wouldn’t be any rust streak on the hull maybe a few around the bridge and deck fittings but in service these were usually kept pretty clean with regular paint touch-ups.
Sub assemblies painted.
Helmsman at the wheel.
Bridge and Mast with rigging.
Stern cannon platform bandstand with flag mast. Flag and rigging to be added.
Bow view with rigged stanchions.
Stern with unfinshed railings.
Stern views with unfinshed railings and with finished railings and crew.
Port and Starboard side views. Decals and some weathering still to be finalised.
Port and Starboard 3/4 views with crew in finalised places.
From bow to stren.
That’s about it I’ll post the final photos when the base is completed. Hope you enjoy the photos, and all comments welcome.
Remember we do this for fun John the Pom.