SAchtung! A Slightly Smaller Build - A RAF Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3

james_mower

552 posts

@T2B

Well I think you have just answered your own question there

Possibly not...

I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was some ###### bringing me another loco!!

Scipios

3 posts

Just finishing off my 1/24 Stuka, loved it and builds into a really nice model. Aso trying to finish my 1/24 Mossie, also a very enjoyable build.

Only aftermarket I bought for the Stuka were seatbelts, and I added a little extra detail into the cockpit. Personally speaking, more than happy with the result.

james_mower

552 posts

@Scipios

Just finishing off my 1/24 Stuka, loved it and builds into a really nice model. Aso trying to finish my 1/24 Mossie, also a very enjoyable build.

Only aftermarket I bought for the Stuka were seatbelts, and I added a little extra detail into the cockpit. Personally speaking, more than happy with the result.

I have the decals for the instrument panel, the camoflage masks & the Swastikas for the tail.

However where did you source the seatbelts?

In the meantime, after a month busy going loco with loco's - I restarted work on the 109 (photo's to follow) this afternoon.

I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was some ###### bringing me another loco!!

james_mower

552 posts

@james_mower

I have the decals for the instrument panel, the camoflage masks & the Swastikas for the tail.

However where did you source the seatbelts?

In the meantime, after a month busy going loco with loco's - I restarted work on the 109 (photo's to follow) this afternoon.

I answered my own question lol, I found the Eduard Seatbelts on the Hannants website - which I subsequently order, along with some for the Mossie Cool

In the meantime, I got the wheel wells painted on the 109...

james_mower

552 posts

More progress today, a sea of Tamiya masking tape (my bulk order arrived) - with a few bits of maskol..

Front & rear section's of the canopy painted & glued into position

Canopy masked and ready to return to the paint shop for a nice coat of BS Dark Earth..

james_mower

552 posts

Unleash the blu-tak sausages (or wurst)!!!

Time to mask up for camouflage!

I think it went quite well - considering it's the first time I've airbrushed an Allied War-bird.

Some touching up needed, but I'm pleased with the results - all the loco's I've been re-painting has improved my masking skills...

james_mower

552 posts

More progress - gun's in place and touching done.

Sitting on her undercarriage, prop spinner painted

I've got various parts in different stages of paint (prop is 2 thirds complete).

However I've got to scratch build the Pitot tube assembly as it's a molding short in the kit - I only just noticed, oh well it will be scratch built Cool

james_mower

552 posts

Ready for decals, I should hopefully get the few remaining parts painted tomorrow (central section of canopy, aerial and the newly scratch built pitot tube assembly).

While this is being done I'll get the decals applied.

james_mower

552 posts

Productive day...

..and a lot of decals!

And what would the finished plane be, without a cameo of the next build...

More photo's to come..

T2B

1058 posts

Oh nice, I've got 1 in my stash aswell which I got on Pre-order when it was released with every intention of building it but I haven't got round to it yet! And the Bf109 looks good too and upto your usual high standards, I just can't get used to seeing it in RAF colours and roundels ......... !!

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product