SWimpy! A Slightly Smaller Build - Vickers Wellington Mk.1A/C

Ratch

2616 posts

Community Moderator

@T2B

But when I did my Swordfish my research showed the interior fabric to be a pinkish colour due to the dope used to taughten the fabric outer skin!

That's right, the linen was doped

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/index.php

Tweezers

120 posts

So am I correct in assuming:

Brick red = tall thingys.  James has painted his yellow.

Aluminium = girder structure.

Pinkish colour = internal fabric.

Personally I'll go for my very light green for internal fabric.

Looking forward to purchasing mine soon.

james_mower

552 posts

@T2B

More good progress James and it's looking good. The interior colour is a mute point, I saw a modellers image of the interior in black with highlighted framework, similar to yours which looked really good which I may follow? 

But when I did my Swordfish my research showed the interior fabric to be a pinkish colour due to the dope used to taughten the fabric outer skin!

Hence this is 1 of the reasons why I have only just started to assemble the wings until I decide exactly which direction I'm going lol 

It's up to you what you follow, but Airfix I suspect got most of the information from Brooklands (from the original drawings) and have based the Wimpy interior colour scheme on the Factory Specs which would be correct for when the flew from the factory.

However, whether the interior colours stayed like that once a Squadron's Ground Crews got hold of them - I doubt it. They were used for night bombing, so the crews wouldn't want shiney surfaces that could give them away in searchlights.

I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was some ###### bringing me another loco!!

james_mower

552 posts

@Tweezers

The tall thingy's on the Starboard side of the fuselage should be yellow.

Fresh from factory the geodetic framework - Silver/Aluminium

Internal side of the doped linen - Pinkish or Brick red according to the instructions.

I'd go for a Light/ Interior Green for the cockpit/nose/tailgunners positons.

I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was some ###### bringing me another loco!!

james_mower

552 posts

More progress today, before I have to go back to my Loco Commissions..

Wings assembled & test fitted.

Wings final assembled (for now), tail-planes/elevators assembled. These parts haven't yet been glued into place (to aid painting) - but are a very good fit straight from the box so to speak.

T2B

1058 posts

@Tweezers

If I'm not mistaken the 'tall thingys' are Photo Flash Bombs which are delivered by hand by the crew down the chute on the starboard wide just to the rear of the wing. Research of ordnance websites shows the colour to be black body with red tail/fins, but as early in WW2 most RAF ordnance was painted pale yellow or buff, Airfix's colour call-out in yellow maybe correct?

T2B

1058 posts

@ James

Lots of good PROGRESS! You'll have it finished in a week and put me to shame, I've only done a few parts so far Undecided

Looking good so far. Any possibility of a detailed shot of the bomb bay when you get a chance? I have looked at the instructions on another site [tapa] and am confused about how the completed bay should look. Is it a thre-section bay, and are there bombs for all sections?

T2B

1058 posts

@Ratch

That's right, the linen was doped

Yes I used the pink dope colour on my Swordfish (though I toned down Airfix's M70 Brick Red Suggestion)

Still undecided if I should should go the same way on my Wimpy or follow the interior 'black' route? 

T2B

1058 posts

@ Dominic Thomas

I'm sure James will do a photo for you when he gets to that stage but the bomb bay is made up of the main fuselage floor and sides with the open bay doors already moulded in place. These are well done and can be removed if you opt for a closed bomb bay as a separate part is included for this.

There is a large geodetic partition part to be fitted down the centre of the bomb bay which the six 500lb bombs, which are included in the kit attach to. I hope this helps ....... ?

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product