SWimpy! A Slightly Smaller Build - Vickers Wellington Mk.1A/C

T2B,

Yes it does help, thank you. When I was trying to make sense of the instructions without the benefit of the kit parts in front of me, I could see what seemed to be a large central partition with bombs either side, but that looked to be taking up a fair volume of the bomb bay, which didn’t make sense to me.

It’ll no doubt become clear when I buy the kit....

james_mower

552 posts

@T2B

@ James

Lots of good PROGRESS! You'll have it finished in a week and put me to shame, I've only done a few parts so far Undecided

The fuselage is the time waster - so many parts to paint and add. I found the wings straight forward though fitting the engine nacelles through the lower wing section are a little tight and you can't fit the tail planes wrong as they are handed.

I have a slight issue with a malformed undercarriage part (E2) - I should be able to adjust it though, in any event I'll be contacting Airfix to request a replacement.

I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was some ###### bringing me another loco!!

T2B

1058 posts

@Dominic Thomas

It’ll no doubt become clear when I buy the kit....

The Wellington has quite a large bomb bay compared to other early war bombers like the Whitley or Hampden, or even the first 4 engined bomber the Short Stirling with it's numerous bomb cells which didn't allow scope for the larger bombs used later in the war

T2B

1058 posts

@ james_mower

I've only started fitting the engine nacelles into the lower wings with no problems so far but I'm omitting the under-carriage parts as my first build of the Wellington with be in flight, and also will omit several internal fuselage parts. 

I will check that malformed part when I get home tonight!

james_mower

552 posts

@T2B

@ james_mower

I've only started fitting the engine nacelles into the lower wings with no problems so far but I'm omitting the under-carriage parts as my first build of the Wellington with be in flight, and also will omit several internal fuselage parts. 

I will check that malformed part when I get home tonight!

As you are doing the Wimpy in flight, you've removed the under carriage doors it's an easy fit.

On that note (for those about to start the kit) - do not apply any glue until you've dry fitted the nacelles (with doors in place). You have sufficient enough room to lift them slightly and apply glue without getting yourselves into a sticky mess.

I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was some ###### bringing me another loco!!

james_mower

552 posts

@Dominic Thomas

T2B,

Yes it does help, thank you. When I was trying to make sense of the instructions without the benefit of the kit parts in front of me, I could see what seemed to be a large central partition with bombs either side, but that looked to be taking up a fair volume of the bomb bay, which didn’t make sense to me.

For larger payloads they just removed the central sections and the bomb bay doors - from what I've read on tinternet (and from 'other' sources')

T2B

1058 posts

@james_mower 

A check of my kit also showed part E2 to be malformed, though as you say it can probably be reshaped into the correct position without too much difficulty!

Haven't checked my 2nd kit yet but part E2 and E3 appear to be identical so with my 1st build omitting these parts I should be OK using both E3 parts on my second build??

Though Airfix do need to be aware to rectify the issue as constantly replacing malformed parts will effect the profitability of the kit and future releases, and not good for public relations as some will view it as a major issue

james_mower

552 posts

@T2B

@james_mower 

A check of my kit also showed part E2 to be malformed, though as you say it can probably be reshaped into the correct position without too much difficulty!

Haven't checked my 2nd kit yet but part E2 and E3 appear to be identical so with my 1st build omitting these parts I should be OK using both E3 parts on my second build??

Though Airfix do need to be aware to rectify the issue as constantly replacing malformed parts will effect the profitability of the kit and future releases, and not good for public relations as some will view it as a major issue

E1 & E2 (not E3) should be intentical, so using two E1's will do just fine.

I emailed Airfix yesterday and got a response very quickly from their Customer Care team asking me to give the batch/trace number on the little white label on the back of the box, they didn't say if it was a wide spread problem or not.

In the meantime I had a pleasant surprise while watching the RAF100 Flypast - the transport section flew over my house at low level. Once I got over the surprise and shock of the Hercules & Atlas going over - I grabbed the camera and photographed the Globemaster & BAE 146

T2B

1058 posts

Wow that would have been some sight!! Your photos haven't loaded properly on my phone so will view them when I get home on my PC.

And yes your right, part E1 & 2 are identical. I'm at work and did my post from memory and got my numbers mixed up! Though I probably won't need any replacement parts I'll email Airfix with the batch numbers just so they are aware and can determine if it's a batch issue or a fault with the mould?

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product