SWimpy! A Slightly Smaller Build - Vickers Wellington Mk.1A/C

james_mower

552 posts

@T2B

Wow that would have been some sight!! Your photos haven't loaded properly on my phone so will view them when I get home on my PC.

And yes your right, part E1 & 2 are identical. I'm at work and did my post from memory and got my numbers mixed up! Though I probably won't need any replacement parts I'll email Airfix with the batch numbers just so they are aware and can determine if it's a batch issue or a fault with the mould?

A friend from work video'd the Typhoons, Lightning II's, Hawks, Tornado's & Red Arrows go over his house (Hayes) going back to their bases. I think the routes they'd been allotted made sure they went over places where RAF aircraft of old were built.

I suspect either the part in question hadn't cooled sufficiently when it was pulled from the mold or the mold in that area didn't have enough releasing agent applied, so it was sticking when it was removed.

I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was some ###### bringing me another loco!!

james_mower

552 posts

Test fit of the bomb bay partitions (& doors)

More work done, be warned the glazing is both a tight fit and fragile..

I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was some ###### bringing me another loco!!

Paws4thot

1219 posts

FWIW "The Dam Busters" (film) contains footage of the original Chesil and Reculver trials of the half-scale Upkeep on a Wellington and Highball on a Mosquito. It's quite obvious from that footage that the Upkeep is semi-recessed so the central divider on the Wimpey bomb bay must be removable (or not always installed).

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

james_mower 

417 posts

I emailed Airfix yesterday and got a response very quickly from their Customer Care team asking me to give the batch/trace number on the little white label on the back of the box, they didn't say if it was a wide spread problem or not.

My kit also has this fault but the response from Airfix has not been favourable. Some guff about the kit having been bought within the last 12 months and the place of purchase being able to replace or refund me.  

Two things, it was released less than a month ago and they sold it to me! Hmmm?

Peter s

40 posts

I bought a Photo recon spit xix from an eBay seller which was missing the clear parts and had ten days of time wasting from customer care which basically culminated with "we don't have any spares even though the kit is in stock". In the end I used the kit for spare parts. Ok for a kit that price. NOT ok for a £30 model..... 

james_mower

552 posts

@richard shea

james_mower 

417 posts

I emailed Airfix yesterday and got a response very quickly from their Customer Care team asking me to give the batch/trace number on the little white label on the back of the box, they didn't say if it was a wide spread problem or not.

My kit also has this fault but the response from Airfix has not been favourable. Some guff about the kit having been bought within the last 12 months and the place of purchase being able to replace or refund me.  

I've now taken things further and made a formal complaint to them, not only about the Wellington, but the missing parts of the Shackleton AEW.2. I'll give them a week to reply - if not I'm taking legal action.

Just to go back to the conversation about the bomb bay from earlier, I wanted to say a) thanks, James, for including a photo of this area, and b) thanks to everyone who provided information on the bomb bay of a Wellington.

I think I was a bit vague on what I was after initially. My point was that the instructions did not clearly show that the whole bay was divided into three of almost equal width. Airfix appear to have provided just 6 bombs, three each for the outer two sections, and none for the middle section. For those who have this kit, I guess this is correct. In fact, the instructions seem to suggest there is not enough room for a set of bombs in the middle section, even if one has spares available.

I have many references that I can consult here. The Haynes manual has one or two good photos, but the best is the 4+ Publications book which includes a set of loading diagrams for a whole variety of bomb loads, so this will be my reference once I get the kit.

@james_mower

james_mower 

417 posts

I've now taken things further and made a formal complaint to them, not only about the Wellington, but the missing parts of the Shackleton AEW.2. I'll give them a week to reply - if not I'm taking legal action.

Well legal actions are not advisable it my take what's left of the hornby company's moneyCry

Air cadet Car enthosiast Spends may to much time on the internet

T2B

1061 posts

Hi, 

I don't wish to upset everyone but I'm really not into this new popular sport - Airfix Bashing. 

OK the new tool Wellington in an ideal world shouldn't have a malformed part, but can we all honestly say no other manufacturer has ever produced a kit with malformed parts, or missing parts? I bought 2 of these kits on Pre-Order and both have the same issue so maybe I should be upset too.? But No!  

The 2 photo's show the parts E1 & E2, the malformed E2 part being nearest the camera on the second photo. Then ..................................................

5 minutes later with a pair of flat nosed pliers, some strong tweezers and a bowl of very very hot water and we have 2 useable parts!

Oh and maybe just a very, very small amount of modelling skill was required. 

Well done T2B,

Good to get some perspective on things!

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product