SWimpy! A Slightly Smaller Build - Vickers Wellington Mk.1A/C

Paws4thot

1212 posts

@Dominic Thomas

Just to go back to the conversation about the bomb bay from earlier, I wanted to say a) thanks, James, for including a photo of this area, and b) thanks to everyone who provided information on the bomb bay of a Wellington.

I think I was a bit vague on what I was after initially. My point was that the instructions did not clearly show that the whole bay was divided into three of almost equal width. Airfix appear to have provided just 6 bombs, three each for the outer two sections, and none for the middle section. For those who have this kit, I guess this is correct. In fact, the instructions seem to suggest there is not enough room for a set of bombs in the middle section, even if one has spares available.

I have many references that I can consult here. The Haynes manual has one or two good photos, but the best is the 4+ Publications book which includes a set of loading diagrams for a whole variety of bomb loads, so this will be my reference once I get the kit.

Well, this is more "computer drawn destructions" than "Wimpey", but you're not alone in finding modern that modern sheets can be "somewhat vague" in places (and no one manufacturer is the sole offender here).

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

T2B

1052 posts

@Pretty mediocre modeller

Well done T2B,

Good to get some perspective on things!

Thanks PMM, I just wanted to redress the balance a little bit because I felt there was too much Airfix Bashing going on, not just in this thread, I see it happening on others too!

I just want to be clear, it is not my intention to “bash” Airfix for the sake of it, I have good reason to take issue with them. Their new Wellington kit is not a cheap model, superb as it is, but my purchase has a defect and I expect a level of customer support that at least matches a minimum standard, in my opinion Airfix has not lived up to this. Their response to my complaint was dismissive by telling me to take it back to the retailer when I clearly informed them that I had bought it direct from Airfix. 

I am mindful that this is another forum members build thread and do not wish to detract from it.

james_mower

552 posts

@richard shea

I just want to be clear, it is not my intention to “bash” Airfix for the sake of it, I have good reason to take issue with them. Their new Wellington kit is not a cheap model, superb as it is, but my purchase has a defect and I expect a level of customer support that at least matches a minimum standard, in my opinion Airfix has not lived up to this. Their response to my complaint was dismissive by telling me to take it back to the retailer when I clearly informed them that I had bought it direct from Airfix. 

I am mindful that this is another forum members build thread and do not wish to detract from it.

Not a problem.

Sounds like you had the same "Individual" who really really really annoyed me with it's rudeness - I have since put a formal complaint in and it's being dealt with by someone more mature and higher up the food chain.

@T2B

If I was truly Airfix Bashing, I'd be using a very large and heavy hammer - I am a Tinsmith by trade after all and I did use to work in the T2B (Black Hanger) hanger at Dunsfold for BAE Systems.

There's an old Aerospace saying - Never (Insert Expletive - sounds like Duck) with a Tinsmith and unfortunately this is what this individual at Customer Complaints did - hence them (Airfix) getting both barrels...

.. I've had issues with four 'New Tool' Airfix kits on the trot

1. Sea Fury FB.11 - Molding shorts (Tail & Cannon)
  2. Messerschmitt BF109 - Short Molding (Missing Pitot Tube)
  3. Shackleton AEW.2 - Missing & broken parts
  4. Wellington Mk.1A - Deformed E2 easily fixable, but it shouldn't happen.

The offending Wellington part

And the missing/damage parts on the Shackleton (the missing glazing in a sealed bag was the last straw)

I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was some ###### bringing me another loco!!

StuartN

57 posts

Also going back to the discussion on the bomb bay, from what I have read, Wellingtons would usually carry a mixture of 500 lb and 250lb bombs (I think five or six each), however I think bomb loads may vary depending on the mission.

Yes, well done T2B. I think what you have shown is, in part, precisely what this blog is all about - sharing information to help each other improve their efforts.

And P4T, I agree that my problem has been one of interpretation of the instructions. That said, I do think Airfix have moved a long way to improving their instructions from the days of 'locate & cement part ...'. I treat them as part of my reference material now.

And as for reference material, when consulting these few magazines [below], I have reaced the conclusions that a) Marks 1a & 1c could both have 'faired' or 'cut-back' turret surrounds, while b) the Mark 1a did not have the triangular side windows, while the Mark 1c either had them or not. Pictures supporting these conculsons can be found in these references. That said, I assume the new Airfix kit could well be used for both marks, with perhaps a little surgery on the fairings.

Ratch

2614 posts

Community Moderator

Here's a few bomb loads

Codename

Type of raid or   target

Bomb load

"Arson"

incendiary area bombing

14 SBC, each with 236 x 4 lb Incendiary and Explosive   Incendiary bomblets, total 3,304.

"Abnormal"

factories, railway yards, dockyards

14 x 1,000 lb GP/HE bombs using both impact and long   delay (up to 144 hours) fuses.

"Cookie"—or—"Plumduff"

Blast, demolition and fire

1 x 4,000 lb impact-fused HC bomb. 3 x 1,000 lb   GP/HE bombs, and up to 6 SBCs with 1,416 incendiary bomblets.

"Gardening"

Mining of ports, canals, rivers and seaways

6 x 1,850 lb parachute mines.

"No-Ball"

V-1 flying bomb launch sites

1 x 4,000 lb impact fused HC and up to 18 x   500 lb GP bombs, with both impact and delay fusing.

"Piece"

Docks, fortifications and ships

6 x 2,000 lb short-delay fused AP bombs, plus other   GP/HE bombs based on local needs or availability.

"Plumduff-Plus"

Heavy industry

1 x 8,000 lb impact or barometric fused HC and up to   6 x 500 lbs impact or delay fused GP/HE bombs.

"Usual"

Blast and incendiary area bombing

1 x 4,000 lb impact-fused HC bomb, and 12 SBCs with a   total of 2,832 incendiary bomblets.

no code name given

Medium-range low altitude tactical raids

6 x 1,000 lb short and long delay fused GP/HE bombs,   additional 250 lb GP/HE bombs sometimes added.

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/index.php

james_mower

552 posts

Wimpy's did carry some interesting payloads... Cool

I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, it was some ###### bringing me another loco!!

What biplane is that??

Air cadet Car enthosiast Spends may to much time on the internet

james_mower

552 posts

@Mr de Havilland

What biplane is that??

A monoplane - a Fokker E.III Eindecker to be precise

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product