SAirfix 1/72 C-47 Skytrain A08014

Finally got the last few bits and pieces done and it is now finished. One more thing about the stripes on the fuselage is that the black shows through the star and bar marking if you don't undercoat it. Also on the photos you can see that the control surfaces have been painted a slightly faded shade of olive drab, as the fabric weathered differently to the metal.

Had some issues fitting the windscreen, especially the left hand side panel.

Notice the removable para boarding step (Fixed in place on the model)

Altogether an enjoyable build, with most of the parts fitting well, resulting in an eye catching model

Paws4thot

1212 posts

@Peter s

Well, on the general subject of "invasion stripes", I've seen some photos of them being applied in a recent magazine, and you can definitely see that the demarcations aren't straight!

We're all influenced by perfect museum / BoB memorial flight aircraft. That said in 1/72 scale 1mm = 7.2cm so at our scale the stripes SHOULD be pretty neat. Looking at real pics and comparing my models to the photos the 18" for single engine / 24" for twins simply isn't true in all cases.

Well, the photo in question was reproduces to at most 9" by 6" landscape, which allowing for framing round the subject would be ~1/48 scale.

Anyway, my serious point was that the photographic evidence says that free-hand brushed stripes are acceptable.

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

There's a photo out in the net somewhere of a C-47 having the wing stripes being painted by yard brooms. There's also white footprints all over the black stripes! 

The Dak has always been a favorite of mine and the model looks great.

Stephen Carr "Only dead fish swim with the stream."

T2B

1052 posts

Ignoring the stripes are wrong discussion your build looks excellent as usual, nothing mediocre about it!!

Makes me thing I do need to add 1 to my collection! 

Peter s

38 posts

@Army_Air_Force

There's a photo out in the net somewhere of a C-47 having the wing stripes being painted by yard brooms. There's also white footprints all over the black stripes! 

The Dak has always been a favorite of mine and the model looks great.

I've seen it. It's amazing that all these stripes were applied on the night of the 5th june. The weather wasn't even that great.

Paws4thot

1212 posts

@T2B

Ignoring the stripes are wrong discussion your build looks excellent as usual, nothing mediocre about it!!

You're misreading me: I'm not saying "the stripes are wrong" but "rough stripes are acceptable on WW2 models, even if not on preserved warbirds".

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

A diorama of a Dakota having its stripes painted would make a nice model. Must add it to the "To Do" list!! 

Considering that D-Day was delayed by a day ( "Group Captain James Stagg of the Royal Air Force met Eisenhower on the evening of 4 June. He and his meteorological team predicted that the weather would improve enough for the invasion to proceed on 6 June." - Wiki ), the stripes application may have already started on the night of June 4th. I guess it depends on when the order came down to start painting and when the delay 24 hours order came in to the various airfields.

Stephen Carr "Only dead fish swim with the stream."

Peter s

38 posts

@Paws4thot

You're misreading me: I'm not saying "the stripes are wrong" but "rough stripes are acceptable on WW2 models, even if not on preserved warbirds".

Seconded. Although it's harder than it sounds to pull off. 

Incidentally I've an old Airfix mkix spit with d day stripe decals (it's lined up to be done as "the beer spitfire") and I measure them at a little wider than 6mm

I always think the decals are an easy option and usually regret it. I may well end up painting them.

Peter s

38 posts

@Army_Air_Force

A diorama of a Dakota having its stripes painted would make a nice model. Must add it to the "To Do" list!! 

That's such a good idea I'm going to see if I have something smaller and cheaper than a dakota and steal your idea! ☺

Paws4thot

1212 posts

@Peter s

Seconded. Although it's harder than it sounds to pull off. 

Incidentally I've an old Airfix mkix spit with d day stripe decals (it's lined up to be done as "the beer spitfire") and I measure them at a little wider than 6mm

I always think the decals are an easy option and usually regret it. I may well end up painting them.

JE-J jr is known to have been a "beer runner", and still carrying full stripes into August. Given that it was a Group Captain's personal aircraft and a replacement I think the stripes may have been "properly painted" rather than "daubed on in a rush".

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product