SNew Releases 2019

Paul Brown

771 posts

Community Moderator

@Ratch

The 1/35th range is interesting (albeit not to me) as such a large range puts Airfix into that scale in a big way, and hopefully generates enough revenue to enable/ pay for original tooling

The 1/35 tanks are from Academy so no tooling cost to recoup.

I think David_Fleming understands that, what he is suggesting is that if the 1/35 kits sell well enough it may encourage Airfix to do their own original tooled kits.

@Paul Brown

Awful

Here's some suggestions:

1) Don't buy any Airfix this year

2) Hope that next year things will be better for you

3) Address the stash (if you have one)

4) Buy kits in scales and genres from the myriad other manufacturers that are in the plastic kit business, that suit your taste

They couldn't do anything for D-day in 1/48 either; how hard would it be be to knock together a D-day set similar to the battle of Britain one 

I'm struggling to think of which kits, other than the P-51D, that are available from the current tooling catalogue, from which you could 'knock together' a D-Day set. Give us a clue.

sorry for the late reply, been at work and the airfix website is still slow; ive already pre-ordered the one 1/48 kit i want from the airfix releases which is the tiger moth and there are still lots of last years airfix kits avaliable that i can buy, apart from the tiger moth nothing else takes my intrest. 

I was thinking for the d-day set they could have a Supermarine Spitfire mk v with a bedford truck and mabye some ground crew. The spitfire could carry the scheme of one of the spotter planes used by the US or mabye one with the invasion stripes which in my memory i have never seen airfix do on a spitfire (im not saying they have never done on; i just cant remember if they have done one) 

as they are partnering up with acamedy for tanks they could partner up with another asian modelling company TAMIYA and mabye get permission to include there 1/48 jeep in the kit aswell in return for one of airfixes ground vehicles which tamiya havent done 

P-61 Black Widow is re-released again. The 1967 vintage P-61B, which is covered with Clydeside rivets and shipbuilding welding seams as panel lines. The tooling will make 52 years this year. It is older than me.

What is really grotesque is that the age-old Airfix kit is still today the best 1/72 Black Widow kit around. The Frog is generally unavailable, the Dragon kit is horrible to build - it takes a tube of putty to fill all the gaps - and Hobby Boss new kit is simply rubbish. It ought to be illegal to publish kits like the Hobby Boss P-61 in 2018.

Here is a suggesstion to Airfix gurus. Please make a new tool 1/72  P-61 - you may well use the old kit as the starting point, as it is reasonably accurate and dimensions are okay. Not that I wasn't okay-ish on sanding the bolt heads and welding seams away and scribing my one, but after the Hobby Boss fiasco, we really need a new P-61 in the 72nd scale.

@Hawkerhurricaneguy

Awful

Here's some suggestions:

1) Don't buy any Airfix this year

2) Hope that next year things will be better for you

3) Address the stash (if you have one)

4) Buy kits in scales and genres from the myriad other manufacturers that are in the plastic kit business, that suit your taste

They couldn't do anything for D-day in 1/48 either; how hard would it be be to knock together a D-day set similar to the battle of Britain one 

I'm struggling to think of which kits, other than the P-51D, that are available from the current tooling catalogue, from which you could 'knock together' a D-Day set. Give us a clue.

sorry for the late reply, been at work and the airfix website is still slow; ive already pre-ordered the one 1/48 kit i want from the airfix releases which is the tiger moth and there are still lots of last years airfix kits avaliable that i can buy, apart from the tiger moth nothing else takes my intrest. 

I was thinking for the d-day set they could have a Supermarine Spitfire mk v with a bedford truck and mabye some ground crew. The spitfire could carry the scheme of one of the spotter planes used by the US or mabye one with the invasion stripes which in my memory i have never seen airfix do on a spitfire (im not saying they have never done on; i just cant remember if they have done one) 

as they are partnering up with acamedy for tanks they could partner up with another asian modelling company TAMIYA and mabye get permission to include there 1/48 jeep in the kit aswell in return for one of airfixes ground vehicles which tamiya havent done 

I take it you don't understand that airfix and tamiya are very much rivals in this day and age.

Why is my undercarriage stuck to my thumb?

The most anticipated event of my Modelling year has finally arrived - the publication of Airfix’s releases for the coming year. I opened the link with great disappointment. It took so long to open each page. I guess so many people were looking at the same time.

There were a number of highlights for me when I finally was able to look at all the pages. The top of the list has to be the new Buccaneer, with RN markings. It’s been requested numerous times, and now it’s the year we get it - Great Stuff!

A lot of the early tank & ship models continue to be released, and now they are joined by a good number of veteran aircraft. Again, Great Stuff.

I also noticed, after a couple of retakes, that the 1/48 Hunter is to be released as an F4. There were some markings options shown, which made me wonder about the RAF option. If that scheme is actually released, it is in fact an F5. I had to check because I didn’t thing 1 Squadron flew F4s. The real thing is in the Tangmere Museum. Not that there’s too much difference between the F4 & F5, other than the engine. Still, it will be good to get an accurate straight winged Hunter at long last.

So, well done again Airfix. Thanks for the anticipation.

Jonathan Mock

634 posts

Yay, the Fiesler Storch is back! 

B206B3

7 posts

Yes some interesting developments. Still find it interesting the 1/24th Hellcat was released. I think Airfix has the basis for two excellent 1/24th scale models in their famous Spitfire and Bf109E 1/24th kits. A re-tool of those I would have thought, would be a good way to go, as they both had serious flaws and with a bit of work could be brought up to modern standards? Even the excellent 1/24th Hurricane had problems, wing dihedral issues and wing thickness. Benchmark kits are available in 1/32 scale for these aircraft and some good 1/24th scale from other manufacturers, but an update of these classics would be a good and not to expensive way to go? Having said that, fixing the Hurricane wings and indeed the 'flat plank' look of the Spitfire wings, would require a pretty significant modification?

Also, with the excellent Blenheim, Bristol Herculese engined Lancaster, Whitley and Wellington releases, the very much neglected but very important HP Halifax, is surely due for a re-tool?   

JRF

jopres57

107 posts

The Airfix 2019 releases seem to have disappointed a few people, including me, but on the whole it looks like quite a good year. I would have preferred a 1/72 new tool of something not covered by a mainstream manufacturer before, but the firm just can't be all things to all modellers. It was good to see them branch out into 1/35 AFV kits in a big way, I hope it will be a success and will definitely give it my support. The return of HMS Victorious is good news, along with some of the old 1/72 classics, because it will stop people being ripped off on e-bay. The new Buccaneer is great, I doubt if anyone else will produce a state of the art kit of this British classic.

T2B

1052 posts

@ Captain Triggers

If my memory is correct Airfix did a Spitfire Mk.IX JE-J with invasion stripes. It was the new tool Mk.IX not the horrid old tooling offering with solid wings, and the second decal offering in the DAF Spit IX release!

T2B

1052 posts

Sorry Captain Triggers just noticed you reposted someone else's comment, my reply I think should have been directed at hawkerhurricaneguy ......... ?

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product