SNew Releases 2019

T2B

1076 posts

@ FAAMAN

I agree with your post, and your previous 1 too. I find it difficult to understand those who work in 1:48th scale who complaint about the lack of new tools considering those they've had in the past couple of years. I have a long wish list but accept Airfix aren't in business just to adhere to my personal preferences!

As you said they can't hope to please everyone all the time, the best Airfix can do if please some of the people some of the time which I'm sure they try hard to do .......... !!

Grouchy

10 posts

With all these new releases, new armour kits,  and vintage classics it is a pity that the excellent Airfix Napoleonic 54mm figures range has still not been retooled or reissued - still nowhere to be seen!. Shame, Airfix could not even manage a token effort for the 200 anniversary of Waterloo in 2015. Modeling is not just aircraft and armour.

Timmas

55 posts

I was generally very encouraged by the new releases. They show real  confidence in the future in my view. While there's not a huge amount that satisfies my 'thing', (1/72 military aircraft, from a particular era) rhe Buc and Mig are of real interest to me, I have no problem whatsoever seeing tanks, ships and civilan aircraft across the scales; Airfix has a wide customer base and needs to appeal to as much of it as possible. Smile

LeonF

71 posts

@Grouchy

With all these new releases, new armour kits,  and vintage classics it is a pity that the excellent Airfix Napoleonic 54mm figures range has still not been retooled or reissued - still nowhere to be seen!. Shame, Airfix could not even manage a token effort for the 200 anniversary of Waterloo in 2015. Modeling is not just aircraft and armour.

Considering the RAF 100 and End of WWI centenary were damp squids, and the forthcoming Concorde and Apollo 11 50th Anniversaries rate only Vintage reissues rather than new moulds why would Waterloo 200 be any different (Mayflower 400 next year, rebirth of the Sail Ship line?...)

There are dozens of old moulds that haven't yet been added to the Vintage Classics thus far. The 54mm figures may have a following (id take a few to add to my existing small stash) but are they any more deserving than many remaining aircraft, cars and miscellaneous items? 

Peter s

41 posts

The 1/35 scale armour is REALLY expensive compared to other brands efforts. Unless Airfix has gone mad this suggests they could be world class kits.  I'd suggest watch and see when more info available

I'm primarily 1/72 aircraft. Having seen how much effort goes into a full blown new tool release its unrealistic to expect more than a handful a year. What they have scheduled for release are good choices and not represented elsewhere. If you want a bucaneer it's a 1970s mould. The mig 17 will be an eastern European kit. My latest build was a 1980s boxed hampden. Easy build which painted really nicely to make a nice model. It was a fun build which is the whole point! I'm looking forward to some of the old releases being reissued as they should be really enjoyable projects.

The one thing that does become really apparent year on year is a total spitfire vacuum in 1/72. Bizarre for such a British icon as airfix. The mk ix (easily bought online for the price of 2 pints) is a great model as is the mk22/24 etc. They've got the moulds, it's a nice kit, why not make more?  

Ratch

2645 posts

Community Moderator

The RRP of the 1/35 armour is exactly the same as the Academy boxings - where they came from.

Owner of the Airfix Tribute Forum https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/index.php

Peter s

41 posts

@Ratch

The RRP of the 1/35 armour is exactly the same as the Academy boxings - where they came from.

My only experiments with 1/35 armour is tamiya. Half the price but nothing to write home about. £50 for a 1/35 panther is a significant price though.

I've generally been pleased with academy aircraft but as you say price is similar to airfix.

twinpin

15 posts

My main interrest is in US military aircraft 1950/1960 on, so the Airfix 2019 planned releases disappointing.

The A4B Skyhawk in new markings would have been of interest but I was put off the earlier release by how fragile parts such as the tail hook, nose probe, slats are.

I am curious about the re-release of the old USAF Jetstream kit unchanged.  I wonder how much interest there is in building it out of the box and alternatively conversion to any other Jetstream version is not that easy.

Airfix have produced some fairly good kits of the F86E/F Sabre in recent years but then don't continue the theme with say, F86D (re - issue) F86H, FJ2/FJ3 Fury.
Llikewise no continuation of the theme after the WW1 Eindecker and Be2c.

Suggestions made to Airfix include - LOCKHEED: Neptune P2V7- T33A - F104 (USAF) -  C121A/C and WV2: P3 Orion.   GRUMMAN: EA6A Electronic Intruder - Hawkeye - Mohawk - Tracker/Tracer - Panther/Cougar.

twinpin

Peter s

41 posts

In light of the mig 17 adapting the new tool F4 for USAF/navy/USMC would be cost effective and make a nice "dogfight double"

Paws4thot

1238 posts

@Peter s

In light of the mig 17 adapting the new tool F4 for USAF/navy/USMC would be cost effective and make a nice "dogfight double"

How to convert an F-4K/M into an F-4J.

1. Lower main undercarriage and missiles
  2. Remove F-4K/M
  3. Insert F-4J
  4. Raise main undercarriage and missiles.

Seriously, there are very few common parts given the Airfix tool design.

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product