SNew Releases 2019

LeonF

71 posts

F-4K/M to F-4J would only need new fuselage halves, exhausts, wings, horizontal tail, nose undercarriage, cockpit, weapons...and decals.

Yes a new 100% new mould would be nice but I suspect it would also be wiser to lobby Airfix to rebox the new(ish) Academy F-4J considering the AFV tie up.

A whole new 1/72 US Phantom lineup would be nice considering Hasegawa and Fujimi kits are no longer reasonably cheap and easy finds in shops, Revell only did the F, and Academy the J. There's a gap in the European market for sure but if Airfix were to jump in they would need to step up their game and not repeat the irritating small errors on their UK Phantoms (notably the lack of very visible vents). 

Peter s

40 posts

The academy "jolly roger" F4 was the most enjoyable F4 I've built but it was £30 plus shipping from the far east (and that was a couple of years ago) Reboxing it as airfix and I'll advance order it today The RAF also used F4Js so it's got potential in a few schemes. 

I can't find an F35b in 1/72. That must be on airfixs to do list.... 

Paul Brown

787 posts

Community Moderator

@Peter s

The academy "jolly roger" F4 was the most enjoyable F4 I've built but it was £30 plus shipping from the far east (and that was a couple of years ago) 

In 1/72? Hannant's stock it at 26.99 along with the Showtime 100 and Red Devils boxings. I got a Jolly Rogers from a Facebook group for 24.00 posted. Probably the best in scale at the moment.

Paws4thot

1238 posts

@LeonF

F-4K/M to F-4J would only need new fuselage halves, exhausts, wings, horizontal tail, nose undercarriage, cockpit, weapons...and decals.

Yes a new 100% new mould would be nice but I suspect it would also be wiser to lobby Airfix to rebox the new(ish) Academy F-4J considering the AFV tie up.

A whole new 1/72 US Phantom lineup would be nice considering Hasegawa and Fujimi kits are no longer reasonably cheap and easy finds in shops, Revell only did the F, and Academy the J. There's a gap in the European market for sure but if Airfix were to jump in they would need to step up their game and not repeat the irritating small errors on their UK Phantoms (notably the lack of very visible vents). 

The Spey intakes are wider too, and there are at least 2 different shape leading edges for the inner wing pylons. The whole fact of this discussion illustrates just how close Airfix come with their Spey Phantom.

Though I fly through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 65_000 feet and climbing.

Peter s

40 posts

@Paul Brown

The academy "jolly roger" F4 was the most enjoyable F4 I've built but it was £30 plus shipping from the far east (and that was a couple of years ago) 

In 1/72? Hannant's stock it at 26.99 along with the Showtime 100 and Red Devils boxings. I got a Jolly Rogers from a Facebook group for 24.00 posted. Probably the best in scale at the moment.

In 1/72. Thanks for the hannants tip. They carry an amazing range but their search option is less than ideal. 

Paul Brown

787 posts

Community Moderator

I've never had any problem with H's search engine. With the keyword, less can be more, but the spelling needs to be spot on.

wish it was the buc S1, maybe next year

Peter s

40 posts

@Paul Brown

I've never had any problem with H's search engine. With the keyword, less can be more, but the spelling needs to be spot on.

If you search for say "F4 phantom" you get 20 pages of pe and resin upgrade parts, not necessarily the one kit - which they may or may not carry- coming up. I use xtradecal decals routinely but it's easier to find the sheet you want on eBay than hannants.

Paul Brown

787 posts

Community Moderator

@Peter s

If you search for say "F4 phantom" you get 20 pages of pe and resin upgrade parts, not necessarily the one kit - which they may or may not carry- coming up. I use xtradecal decals routinely but it's easier to find the sheet you want on eBay than hannants.

Use the pull downs to refine the search, eg. aircraft, kits only. You can narrow that down to manufacturer, current, new arrivals, future releases etc. Decals can be more of a problem, but sometimes you can get the hits you want if you name the units that you're after. For instance a search using Xtradecals, 1/72, Lancaster, 617 squadron takes you straight to a relevant sheet. 

Peter s

40 posts

@Paul Brown

Use the pull downs to refine the search, eg. aircraft, kits only. You can narrow that down to manufacturer, current, new arrivals, future releases etc. Decals can be more of a problem, but sometimes you can get the hits you want if you name the units that you're after. For instance a search using Xtradecals, 1/72, Lancaster, 617 squadron takes you straight to a relevant sheet. 

I can use a computer.... 

"1/72 Lancaster decals" on eBay works better. Not least it only throws up decals. I recently had a ridiculous situation where I was using eBay to get the product code for a set of sea king decals because the hannants website would only show them if I entered the product code. 

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Airfix Forum is intended for discussion of plastic scale modelling. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Airfix Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other plastic model kit manufacturers is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Airfix Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Airfix Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product